Fewer musicians onboard - saves money

JennysUncle

The HALcats, the Neptunes, and the solo guitarist were all gone from the Oosterdam on our March cruise. All replaced by "the band", which now plays briefly in the Ocean Bar and backs up the stage shows. No live music for the sailaways or at the Lido pool, not much evening dance music at the Ocean Bar, and no cocktail guitar at the MIX or Crow's Nest. Also, the "band" had a second keyboard rather than trumpet or sax players, so the sound texture is not as full, other than synthesized horns. Not to say that they didn't do a good job, just that there is less live music.

We miss the string quartets. It was one of the things that we so-o-o enjoyed on our first cruise that got us hooked - and that was on Carnival Spirit, Alaska inside passage r/t Vancouver... not exactly a high end cruise! But that was 2003 and things have changed. How much more would we pay for better music? more than HAL thinks it's worth but I don't see it changing back, just getting worse. And worse. DH brings his CDs to enjoy classical music but it's not the same, not nearly.

Edited by RMLincoln

The HALcats' date=' the Neptunes, and the solo guitarist were all gone from the Oosterdam on our March cruise. All replaced by "the band", which now plays briefly in the Ocean Bar and backs up the stage shows. No live music for the sailaways or at the Lido pool, not much evening dance music at the Ocean Bar, and no cocktail guitar at the MIX or Crow's Nest. Also, the "band" had a second keyboard rather than trumpet or sax players, so the sound texture is not as full, other than synthesized horns. Not to say that they didn't do a good job, just that there is less live music.[/quote']

I'm confused. Oosterdam doesn't have MIX...

We noticed the cutbacks on our recent cruises on the Zuiderdam.

The first "Band" we had were excellent". The second cruise, a new group came on --they were so-so.

No guitarist.

Down to a piano player and violin player for the Adagio group. Some have been good, some poor.

On our last cruise, the piano bar player entertained one or two nights in the Queen's Lounge.

How long until they put him on the main stage?

The previous cruise, he entertained one night at the Lido Pool.

Seems like they are stretching the entertainment thin.

I hung out in the mix on the Veendam on my recent cruise and they had an excellent guitar player. I enjoyed him very much. Then the piano bar guy took over at nine. He wasn't to my taste and I quickly left at that point.

On our last cruise, the piano bar player entertained one or two nights in the Queen's Lounge.

How long until they put him on the main stage?

The previous cruise, he entertained one night at the Lido Pool.

Seems like they are stretching the entertainment thin.

HAL not alone here. Celebrity had the piano guy do three shows in the theater on our recent cruise....but they did have three different bands onboard. I would really miss that....not telling DH as we have 35 HAL days coming up soon.