October or January for SE Asia cruise?

TravelingAngel

We want to take a cruise to SE Asia, Singapore to Hong Kong, with the usual stops in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. This cruise (by Oceania) is usually offered in October and in January/February.

Any opinions for which time of year would be better? Better meaning less heat & humidity?:p We have friends who want to go in October, and friends who want to go in January or February. We can go either time so before I try to cajole one set of friends into changing, I'd like to have some feedback from those who have been there & done that!;)

Thanks!

We want to take a cruise to SE Asia, Singapore to Hong Kong, with the usual stops in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. This cruise (by Oceania) is usually offered in October and in January/February.

Any opinions for which time of year would be better? Better meaning less heat & humidity?:p We have friends who want to go in October, and friends who want to go in January or February. We can go either time so before I try to cajole one set of friends into changing, I'd like to have some feedback from those who have been there & done that!;)

Thanks!

October is still in the rainy season so there would be chances of downpours and it may still be quite hot and humid. If you want less heat I would say January but be aware that in Hong Kong, January can get quite cold, usually around low 10 degrees celsius but it has been known to go even lower on some days. The other factor may be that Chinese New Year is around the January February time. This could be a good or bad thing (lots of things going on but also lots of people on holiday!

Speaking of HK, the rain should stop by late September. There is still a chance of a late typhoon in early October. But after the middle of October, we should have blue skies. This is the best part of the year. January will see more clouds and overcast skies. I would recommend October over January/February.

BTW, Chinese New Year falls in early February in 2016.

We just returned (March) from a cruise (Singapore-Shanghai) Singapore (beautiful warm), Vietnam (beautiful warm), Hong Kong (rainy), China (was very cool). I would opt for Feb. with those ports. If it was just China we loved the weather in October on a land only trip we did.

Thanks!

We went on cruise from Singapore (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand) Jan / Feb 2015 and only experienced rain one day while we were at sea. If your considering February 2016, note that Chinese New Years is on February 8, 2016. Many places maybe closed, but you may get to experience some of the celebrations