Carlo's Bake Shop

UlsterLad

Going to be on the Jade August 2016 on honeymoon and was wondering what the deal is with Carlo's Bake Shop, since the NCL website is so descriptive, as ever! Assume that it's a la carte in terms of pricing, does anyone have a menu/know where to find one? Is it located somewhere that tea/coffee are available?

I don't know for certain on the Jade, but at least on the Star (which doesn't have an "official" Carlo's Bakery) they do sell some of the pastries at the coffee bar in the atrium, near Guest Services. I think that's what they're referring to in that link, because for the Jade it says "Enjoy delicious cannoli and cupcakes from Carlo’s Bake Shop, available at the Cafe in the Atrium" instead of the description of the full bakery on the Breakaway and other ships:

(From the Breakaway "What's On Board"):

Carlo's Bake ShopMaster Baker Buddy Valastro, star of the popular TLC television series "Cake Boss" and "Next Great Baker," will open an extension of his family business, Carlo's Bake Shop on Norwegian Breakaway. Featuring all of the delicious treats and confections that the original bakery is known for, Carlo's Bake Shop will also give guests the opportunity to pre-order custom specialty cakes for celebrations such as birthdays and anniversaries. For a challenging and fun experience, Carlo's will offer cupcake decorating classes, where guests can learn some of Valastro's tricks of the trade.

For what it's worth, I was disappointed by the Carlo's Bakery items. They were a bit dry, and their famous lobster roll just tasted weird to me. I had better luck with pastries from the buffet, to be honest!

Also, if you do a search on the forum, someone has a link to photos and prices. I think they were somewhere around the $3 to $3.50 range.

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer

the Jade does have products from the bakery in the case at the coffee bar in the lobby. You can also get cakes to order.

I am not sure how this compares to the newer ships but there was not a lot of choice

We purchased the Tiramisu from Carlo's Bakery a couple of times from the Atrium Cafe on the Jade last year, and it was without a doubt the best Tiramisu we have ever tasted! I believe the price was $6,95 and that was just enough for two persons - but it was soooooo worth it! We also tried Carlo's "world famous" cannolia, but didn't like them - to everyone their taste....

IMG_5361.jpg.d26e2ba466dcab20aa5203b6bd0b807b.jpg

IMG_5113.jpg.ca3abcd3b1ce5ec3bdb4292b13cb54d0.jpg

Edited by TrumpyNor

I liked the Atrium Cafe's on the various ships better, before they introduced "Carlo's'" products....mainly because their pastries used to be complimentary. You only paid for the specialty coffee drinks they served, or you could help yourself to complimentary regular coffee at a nearby urn....:)

Edited by bob brown

I liked the Atrium Cafe's on the various ships better, before they introduced "Carlo's'" products....mainly because their pastries used to be complimentary. You only paid for the specialty coffee drinks they served, or you could help yourself to complimentary regular coffee at a nearby urn....:)

I agree. I do not mind paying for the coffee but having to pay for a snack with it is annoying.

We had 2 cakes from Carlos Bake Shop on our Getaway cruise.

1. Chocolate Mousse cake I pre-ordered on the NCL website. It was essentially chocolate mousse covered with chocolate ganache. I only had one bite, but don't think there was any cake in it.

2. Chocolate cake from Ocean Blue. They are the ONLY specialty restaurant that gives a b-day cake from Carlos Bake Shop. This was a different chocolate cake and my husband said it was the best of the 3 b-day cakes he received onboard. (The third cake was a white square cake our butler brought him.) This chocolate one actually had cake in it.