Loud repetitive background music throughout ship?

OneBag

In reading the member reviews, I came across something that I find extremely alarming:

..There was no where to go on board ship other than your room to get away from the loud repetitive back ground music. Impossible to try to read in piece...

Please, please, someone tell me this is an exaggeration! I have not seen any other complaint about loud repetitive background music so far, so I'm hoping it's not as bad as it sounds in the quote above.

Is there really music really piped in throughout the ship? Is it loud? What kind of music is it?

This could be a deal breaker for us.

I have not noticed any loud or repetitive music on the ship. People are seen reading in all of the venues, so I cannot believe it is a problem.

I certainly would not cancel my plans because of this.

Whew! Thanks for your prompt and reassuring replies. :) I had a vision of spending 2 weeks at the noise equivalent of my local Starbucks which plays Mack the Knife at top volume at 7am. It makes for an energizing morning start, I suppose, but I find it interferes with reading. And talking. :rolleyes:

Only place I've noticed any music is:

> in the World Cafe for lunch and dinner they have on some 'elevator music' that I've noticed at times. Don't notice other times, but I might just not be paying attention. It's certainly not loud and repetitive.

> in the spa services rooms (massages, facials) they have on 'new age spa' music

> in the hair & nail salon I do remember some annoying music. Can't remember what it was now, but I didn't find it relaxing. But it's confined to this one area.

> in the Atrium they will have a pianist or string three-some playing largely classical music which is lovely. This doesn't go on all day - just at posted times.

> sometimes they have evening 'shows' or 'sail-away' parties around the main pool area. These times are posted and only go on for an hour or so. (Unfortunately, because of where our cabin is situated (8019) we will often here these faintly in our cabin, but don't think it's a problem in general.

None of these are piped all over the ship.

Thanks, ONE.

Yes, now I remember reading that one. Full of grammatical errors, misspellings, and all very negative. This is one of those "take it with a grain of salt" reviews. I just don't want to sail with him! :eek:

Perhaps he needs to stay home. :D

Only place I've noticed any music is:

> in the World Cafe for lunch and dinner they have on some 'elevator music' that I've noticed at times. Don't notice other times, but I might just not be paying attention. It's certainly not loud and repetitive.

> in the spa services rooms (massages, facials) they have on 'new age spa' music

> in the hair & nail salon I do remember some annoying music. Can't remember what it was now, but I didn't find it relaxing. But it's confined to this one area.

> in the Atrium they will have a pianist or string three-some playing largely classical music which is lovely. This doesn't go on all day - just at posted times.

> sometimes they have evening 'shows' or 'sail-away' parties around the main pool area. These times are posted and only go on for an hour or so. (Unfortunately, because of where our cabin is situated (8019) we will often here these faintly in our cabin, but don't think it's a problem in general.

None of these are piped all over the ship.

That all sounds reasonable to me. Thanks. "New age spa" music--easily ignored music that never actually goes anywhere. :D

Thanks, ONE.

Yes, now I remember reading that one. Full of grammatical errors, misspellings, and all very negative. This is one of those "take it with a grain of salt" reviews. I just don't want to sail with him! :eek:

Perhaps he needs to stay home. :D

I agree it was quite negative, but I didn't notice a lot of spelling or grammar errors. I've been places where there really was loud, repetitive background music that wasn't far enough in the background, though, and I don't think I could take 2 straight weeks of it, so I just had to check!

Edited by OneBag

This is the quietest ship we've been on in our cabin. In fact we wish they made a few more announcements.

It is true that the designed get-away spaces (Explorer's Lounge, The Living Room and Wintergarden, pool loungers) have music at designated times.

For The Living Room, the music is played live and intended to be heard throughout a large space so it can be loud. Despite being played by some very talented musicians, if the music played is not what you prefer it could be taken as distracting. The schedule generally calls for sequential performances by different musicians from 6:30pm until 11pm so the largest public space is "noisy". On tour days, this could be most of the spare hours the poster was talking about.

The ship also likes to stage shows in the atrium area on select evenings including toasts and other mass attendance events.

As far as music, I'm sitting in the upper pool area as I write this (just aft of the Wintergarden). The music has been non-stop the whole time I've been here, about 2 hours. At first it was "pop" music (original artists) like Billy Joel. For the past hour, though, it's been Hawaiian (because of the pool proximity?); also original artists, like Amy Hanalei Gilliom.

It's not too loud (well, maybe that's because I have a penchant for Hawaiian)...but it's definitely there.

In the rest of the ship, the Restaurant does have a "canned" type of music. But it's not too noticeable.

As others have said, this is a very quiet ship. There are lots and lots of places to go and be almost entirely by yourself. If you like a quiet atmosphere, check out the Explorers' Lounge, Mamsens (right next to it).

A side note: listen for the bird twittering sounds in the ladies restroom just off of the World Cafe. 'Not sure if they have the same recorded sounds in the other restrooms, but that one sure has it! (Maybe I need to make it a cruise goal to check out all the restroom for bird noises?)

As far as music, I'm sitting in the upper pool area as I write this (just aft of the Wintergarden). The music has been non-stop the whole time I've been here, about 2 hours. At first it was "pop" music (original artists) like Billy Joel. For the past hour, though, it's been Hawaiian (because of the pool proximity?); also original artists, like Amy Hanalei Gilliom.

It's not too loud (well, maybe that's because I have a penchant for Hawaiian)...but it's definitely there.

In the rest of the ship, the Restaurant does have a "canned" type of music. But it's not too noticeable.

As others have said, this is a very quiet ship. There are lots and lots of places to go and be almost entirely by yourself. If you like a quiet atmosphere, check out the Explorers' Lounge, Mamsens (right next to it).

A side note: listen for the bird twittering sounds in the ladies restroom just off of the World Cafe. 'Not sure if they have the same recorded sounds in the other restrooms, but that one sure has it! (Maybe I need to make it a cruise goal to check out all the restroom for bird noises?)

Why am I not surprised that Ukalady would be partial to Hawaiian music? ;) I'm not sure what effect bird sounds on ladies' room activities is designed to achieve…do we need help to calm down? Or maybe the sounds of birds twittering reminds us not to use too much paper product or leave a big mess behind? You know, save the planet? Actually, the ladies' room is one place where I would *not* mind loud, repetitive music. :p

"Not too noticeable" is how I like my canned restaurant music. "Not noticeable at all" is even better, but "not too noticeable" works.

Thanks so much for the report, Ukalady -- and your blog, which I love. I hope you and your mom have a wonderful cruise. Also, if that is an activity tracker on her wrist, I'd love a "Steps" report now and then. I'm going to be wearing mine and it's a Vivofit which is Garminspeak for "fascist dictator" -- it continuously ups my daily goal and yells at me if I haven't moved for awhile. It's yelling at me now. :eek:

I use a Jawbone UP band and found my steps varied widely while on board. On Sea Days I was lucky to log 3,000 steps unless I went to the Fitness Center. My highest day was 18,000 steps but other port days could be as low as 6,000. If I was doing a lot of bus 'panoramic' tours I didn't get in many steps; but 'walking tours' were usually putting me between 10 - 12,000 steps. (Before I left my average at home was between 12 - 14,000 steps every day and was fairly consistent.) With all the great food onboard and actually LESS steps everyday I know I put on weight and will have to get back to a step routine as soon as we get home.

I use a Jawbone UP band and found my steps varied widely while on board. On Sea Days I was lucky to log 3,000 steps unless I went to the Fitness Center. My highest day was 18,000 steps but other port days could be as low as 6,000. If I was doing a lot of bus 'panoramic' tours I didn't get in many steps; but 'walking tours' were usually putting me between 10 - 12,000 steps. (Before I left my average at home was between 12 - 14,000 steps every day and was fairly consistent.) With all the great food onboard and actually LESS steps everyday I know I put on weight and will have to get back to a step routine as soon as we get home.

That's actually pretty encouraging, LadyVol. Our only other cruise experience was a river cruise, generally minimal walking on tours, small boat with nowhere to walk and no fitness center. I'm hoping to supplement with fitness center and hopefully only gain 8 pounds instead of 12. :eek: :rolleyes: I will be bringing my own loud repetitive music with me on my iPhone to help make the treadmill less awful.

Actually I'm id4elizabeth. LadyVol is thin and trim and doesn't need to worry about steps or staying fit. I'm more on the voluptuous side and need all the encouragement I can get.

Might I suggest the 2nd floor promenade deck as well. One lap around is exactly 1/4 mile - so 4 laps equal 1 mile. It's a lot more scenic and lovely on a nice day.

Let me know how it goes with the weight thing - I failed miserably. My biggest downfall was the high tea. Stay away from the scones (aka biscuits), clotted cream and jam. And Mamsem's at tea time is equally as bad with their cake selections.

While I had some issues with Viking on this cruise, food was not one of them. With the exception of Chef's Table, the food was better than we expected - better than the river cruises we've been on. Enjoy!

Actually I'm id4elizabeth. LadyVol is thin and trim and doesn't need to worry about steps or staying fit. I'm more on the voluptuous side and need all the encouragement I can get.

Might I suggest the 2nd floor promenade deck as well. One lap around is exactly 1/4 mile - so 4 laps equal 1 mile. It's a lot more scenic and lovely on a nice day.

Let me know how it goes with the weight thing - I failed miserably. My biggest downfall was the high tea. Stay away from the scones (aka biscuits), clotted cream and jam. And Mamsem's at tea time is equally as bad with their cake selections.

While I had some issues with Viking on this cruise, food was not one of them. With the exception of Chef's Table, the food was better than we expected - better than the river cruises we've been on. Enjoy!

Please forgive my mixup, Elizabeth--the result of writing on a small screen. Thanks for the promenade deck tip. I wonder how many trips around the ship is needed to work off scones and clotted cream? I feel my waist expanding just saying the words "clotted cream."

Thanks again for all you've shared with us. It's been a pleasure traveling along with you.

Okay, after my "everything is quiet," forum entry, I have to get back to you all with an update:

The pool area started playing loud, brassy music two days' ago. I was on one of the sea-facing lounges from 1 to 5 pm and the music coming from behind me was overly loud and very noticeable. Another passenger noted that, "the music has changed today." It did. I don't like it this way...I guess I could complain but I've found that lounge is too conducive to gazing and then falling into a nap, not writing on my iPad on my lap--so I've moved my writing station to the second floor Atrium with full-height tables.

Besides at this location, Ivana brings me hot mochas...but I *did* like the lemonade which Endy brought me in the pool area. Hmmm...good thing this is a ship with lots of choices.

...Back to writing up Helsinki....or maybe heading to the Thermal Suite for a quick steam room/snow grotto back-and-forth before getting ready for dinner at The Chef's Table. Just a tough life, you know ;)

3 Hungarian young women (violin, cello and flute)play "classical" music at certain defined times...excellent!

An accomplished pianist succeeded them in the Viking Living Room this evening.

However we agree the music at the main pool is too loud...but we are hardly ever there since only 1 sea day.

I have asked them to turn down the volume at breakfast in World cafe...it's not really loud but still intrusive and i really dont want to have to endure angst filled wailing women at breakfast 😀. Silence would be just fine.

Hi Ukalady! Nice to see you working hard on your blog!! You're the first CC member we've met!

I agree with Elizabeth....the promenade deck was my preference and helped with the FitBit steps on sea days.

I noticed music louder than usual at each of the pools a couple of times, but it wasn't the majority of times - reflecting on that, I am not sure why that would be......