Starboard or Port on Northern Europe Itinerary?

Shystermom

I'm sure that has been answered before, but I'm new here.

Looking into book Celebrity Century to Northern Europe.

Which is the best side of the ship for views of ports?

Just came off Millennium in Mediterranean.1st half of cruise was great views on Port, then we changed direction and the great views were on Starboard

Is it the same in Baltics?

Also, is a balcony a "Must" in the Baltics or can I skip it because it's colder?

Which is the best side of the ship for views of ports?

Just came off Millennium in Mediterranean. 1st half of cruise was great views on Port, then we changed direction and the great views were on Starboard.

Is it the same in Baltics?

I've been there this summer and can't remember. If I wanted to see the sights from the ship I was outside. I only know that leaving Stockholm we had land and isles on both sides.

Also, is a balcony a "Must" in the Baltics or can I skip it because it's colder?

When are you going? We had wonderful weather in July: sunshine and blue sky every single day, temperature was nearly 30°C or whatever. It was really warm. On the other hand, it can be cold, windy and rainy – there are no garanties one way or the other.

We were on the Starboard side in May and here is what I remember:

Copenhagen: Port was slightly better but there was not much to see.

Warnemunde: lots of activity on starboard side

Stockholm: either was fine

Riga: not much on either

Tallinn: either was fine

St. Petersburg: starboard had more activity and when we left we had a good view of old Russian submarines about 2 hours out

Helsinki: either

Klaipeda: starboard

In many ports our Captain turned the ship around to dock so that we could sail right out.

For the Baltic really either side of the ship is ok.

As for the balcony, always great to have. Although, not everyone can always afford a balcony.

But, this is one cruise that you really do not spend much time relaxing (or at least I did not) on the balcony.

Our weather was perfect, not cold at all.

For our long range budgeting we are now 95% convinced we are going to skip the balcony in the Baltic. In Alaska where the shoreline was always very close and so much of the cruise involved viewing from the ship it was 100% mandatory for us. But from all we have read the Baltic cruises are very very port intensive. By the time we get up in the morning and get to breakfast (where we can view from windows), then go ashore and tour, then come back and get ready for dinner, eat dinner, then a show or some evening activity....we will not have had much chance to use a balcony let alone be in the cabin much except to sleep. Speaking of which...inside cabins would be much darker for sleeping with the midnight sun, at least early in the morning.

We have decided that the extra $2,000-$3,000 it would cost for two of us for a balcony versus an inside will pay for a LOT more post-cruise touring, nicer hotels and better meals.

So....with an inside the question of "which side" for us would be moot. We can do our viewing (when we have time) from anywhere the view is best at the moment.

Archived