Queens Grill solo traveller

laktex

I am travelling Queen's Grill solo, so virtually paying double the fare. Would it be reasonable to ask the Maitre D if I could invite a guest from Brittania for lunch/ dinner one day. Has anyone done this before?

I appreciate the possible logistical problem of tables but financially it seems a reasonable request.

Good luck with your request Trevor. There many of us solo's who occasionally travel in the Grills , if they do it for one then they will have to do it for everyone, solo's or even couples.

I've noticed it is possible when the guest is on a very long voyage (e.g. part world cruises etc ) or if the guest has quite an extensive cruise history with Cunard.

:)

I am travelling Queen's Grill solo, so virtually paying double the fare. Would it be reasonable to ask the Maitre D if I could invite a guest from Brittania for lunch/ dinner one day. Has anyone done this before?

I appreciate the possible logistical problem of tables but financially it seems a reasonable request.

In general, no. It may be allowed once for a special occasion but that's dependent on how full is the ship and who is the Maitre D'. The dining seating is allocated for those passengers in QG suites. It's not a matter of how much you paid but that the Britannia guest has not paid for Grills service.

Also, table mates develop a camaraderie during the voyage and this is disrupted if a new person is there at each meal.

I have seen it done in Princess Grill, although not with a solo traveller. One of the couples at our table had two relatives who were unable to get a Grills stateroom so they were travelling in Britannia. Another couple at our table offered to switch for one night, i.e. they would go to Britannia so the other two could join their relatives in the PG. This request was graciously granted. It worked out well for the couple who were to go to Britannia as another table in PG was unoccupied that night because those people told the maître d' in advance that they were going to Todd English.

You have paid for a double berth cabin for single occupancy therefore a one person fare plus a single supplement which happens to be 100% for QG. In other words I think the argument that Cunard would use in their terms and conditions is that you haven't paid for two people but only one no matter the amount and therefore are entitled to one seat in the restaurant. The position regarding the Britannia guest has already been stated.

On this basis I think your chances of success are slim but don't be put off asking there is only one way to find out the true answer. It's not something I would try but then we are all different fortunately.

For what it's worth my approach would be to ask the Maître D' to book Todd English or Verandah depending on the ship or even one of the pop up restaurants then invite my friend to come while taking their charge onto my account. I do understand though that is not really what you are asking.

M-AR

I had a guest at my table for dinner in QG restaurant without a question in the past. I was told by the staff of the QG no problem. And they were treated very well by my waiter and assistant waiter. They were greeted at the entrance by the M'D introductions were done and all was great. This was on QM2.

You have paid for a double berth cabin for single occupancy therefore a one person fare plus a single supplement which happens to be 100% for QG. In other words I think the argument that Cunard would use in their terms and conditions is that you haven't paid for two people but only one no matter the amount and therefore are entitled to one seat in the restaurant. The position regarding the Britannia guest has already been stated.

On this basis I think your chances of success are slim but don't be put off asking there is only one way to find out the true answer. It's not something I would try but then we are all different fortunately.

For what it's worth my approach would be to ask the Maître D' to book Todd English or Verandah depending on the ship or even one of the pop up restaurants then invite my friend to come while taking their charge onto my account. I do understand though that is not really what you are asking.

M-AR

That's exactly what I did last year, canopies and drinks in the suite then a leisurely stroll to the Verandah restaurant followed by a show we loved it.

Hi Trevor,

I think its entirely reasonable, but I doubt it will happen. I would like to be a Grills passenger, but as I always travel solo I book a good balcony grade, as its much more fun in Britannia, and I wouldn't like to pay a fortune to feel lonely. Incidentally I live fairly near to you in Leicestershire!

Hi Trevor,

I think its entirely reasonable, but I doubt it will happen. I would like to be a Grills passenger, but as I always travel solo I book a good balcony grade, as its much more fun in Britannia, and I wouldn't like to pay a fortune to feel lonely. Incidentally I live fairly near to you in Leicestershire!

Thanks all for your replies so far. My thoughts at the moment are to ask the Maitre 'D but be prepared to be disappointed. As Winchester Ranger suggests we can always dine at Todd English. ( or maybe the Captain will invite us to his table!!!!)

04Murphy - I was in Queens Grill last year on the Queen Elizabeth on a table of 9 and it was the most fantastic eclectic group of people - we had a truly great time. We were 3 pairs and 3 singles - certainly never felt lonely. There was an adjacent table of two who obviously listened in on our wide ranging conversations and most evenings, after dinner, came to our table and offered their opinion on some our topics - it was a charming experience.