Booked Coastal for helicopter/dogsled - info

EMED2010

I'm very excited!!! I was able to book the helicopter dogsled with extra landing tour today. I just wanted to give some info of some things I found out.

I wanted to call instead of booking online because there are two couples paying separately. Last week there were four times available for our date but this week there were only two showing on the website. However when I called, he told me that they do have more times than what were listed. There was an 8:15 and then he had them every hour after 12:15. I asked what he would recommend and he said he would book the early time. That way if the weather is bad there is a chance to get on a later flight which is something I have seen recommended all the time on this site. I also asked him if they could drop us off at Mendenhall after the flight instead of taking us back to town. He said it was out of the way but they could call a taxi for us which would pick us up at there and take us to the glacier for $15. Then we would only need to pay for the shuttle back. I thought that was very nice and a great idea. That will save us a little bit. (Yeah, I know! What's a few bucks after the cost of the helicopter?:rolleyes:)

I'm looking forward to this so much and they seem very nice to deal with.

I also booked with them last night. They only displayed one time, but Derrick emailed me immediately and suggested another 'newly created' time to fit better with our ship's arrival. I'm very pleased with their attention so far!

I believe that they are THE most professional outfit there is. I know most of the people who do dog sled tours and I believe that they are the best. It is the only group that I would allow use my dogs...have fun up there...it is absolutely wonderful...say hi to Matt if he is on the ice...all of these guys...and one gal are very professional pele and know what they are doing, as oozed to some of the tours that use high school kids who have no experience. The pilots at Coastal are great too. They have even had puppies named after some of them...

I believe that they are THE most professional outfit there is. I know most of the people who do dog sled tours and I believe that they are the best. It is the only group that I would allow use my dogs...have fun up there...it is absolutely wonderful...say hi to Matt if he is on the ice...all of these guys...and one gal are very professional pele and know what they are doing, as oozed to some of the tours that use high school kids who have no experience. The pilots at Coastal are great too. They have even had puppies named after some of them...

Thank you!!! That's great to hear! I am really looking forward to it. I LOVE huskies and have one of my own so I can't wait to experience what these dogs can do.

When you say husky, most people think of Siberian Husky...Alaskan Husky is a totally different animal....:) if you are interested, look up Sabastian Schnuelle on you tube....he is who has the glacier tour....a good friend and a great guy..also take a look at yukon quest 2012. The start. It is about 4-5 minutes long...gives you an idea...Have fun on the Herbert..I think it is the most beautiful glacier there.....but I have to admit, I am biased....:D

When you say husky, most people think of Siberian Husky...Alaskan Husky is a totally different animal....:) if you are interested, look up Sabastian Schnuelle on you tube....he is who has the glacier tour....a good friend and a great guy..also take a look at yukon quest 2012. The start. It is about 4-5 minutes long...gives you an idea...Have fun on the Herbert..I think it is the most beautiful glacier there.....but I have to admit, I am biased....:D

I do have a Siberian Husky and I've seen pictures of the Alaskan ones and noticed how different they look. I'm interested to see how the personalities match up. What I've experienced with my current husky and my previous one is that they seem to have a pure joy in living. They are truly happy dogs and extremely lovable. I will definitely check out the videos!

We took this excursion on May 16th and it was the highlight of our trip(not that everything else wan't magnificent). We enjoyed the dog sledding, but the additional glacier landing is what made the trip. The tranquility and majesty of the glacier will always be remembered.

We took this excursion on May 16th and it was the highlight of our trip(not that everything else wan't magnificent). We enjoyed the dog sledding, but the additional glacier landing is what made the trip. The tranquility and majesty of the glacier will always be remembered.

Glad to hear this. I figured if we were going to spend that much, we might as well pay a Lille bit more and do the extra landing. I really wanted to see that beautiful blue.

I used Coastal for my heli-dog sled experience several years ago with great results. I justified the cost of the excursion by telling myself it was really two excursions rolled into one. The helicopter ride was awesome in itself, but the sledding was beyond magical (at least for me). Truly, it was a once in a lifetime experience for me. You won't regret booking this excursion.

Our "extra landing" occurred after the dog sledding. From the dog camp we flew a few minutes(don't remember exactly how long) and landed further down on the glacier. We exited the helicopter and walked around on the glacier for about 15 minutes. Took tons of photos and just took in our surroundings. In our opinion, as I've said, the best part of the trip.

I believe it was an additional $70 pp. We didn't think that was much more considering the $500+ original price tag.

By the way it is hard to find this excursion on their website. It's not listed under their tours. It is listed below the tours under a heading of something like "can't decide" or "want the best of both worlds".

Enjoy

Also it should have been a "different" type of glacier area, with more ice rather than the snow packed area of the dog camps.

That's what I'm looking for. I want to experience the dog mushing but also the blue ice. Now just to convince the rest of my group to spring for the $$:D