Hawaii First-Timers Need Help

cruise.mode

DH and I will be sailing on Pride of America in late Sept. This will be our first (and a good chance our only trip to Hawaii).

Will be spending a few days in Honolulu prior to boarding and have plenty of ways to do that.

Ship will be making stops in Maui (one overnight); Hilo; Kona; Kauai (also one overnight).

We enjoy general sightseeing, particularly places of historical interest. Don't mind walking, aren't into water sports (or coffee!), and will have to pass on helicopter tours.

If there are any must-see/must-do excursions, we are open to your wisdom! Thanks in advance for sharing.

The first thing that I thought of while reading your post is Volcano National Park (VNP). Nothing else like it anywhere and an easy drive from Hilo.

The second thing is a drive to the Napoli Coast overview while passing beside the "Grand Canyon of Hawaii" on the Island of Kauai. An easy drive with stunning views.

Are you planning a trip to Pearl Harbor? I suggest getting a good guide book to Hawaii and read about the things that really interest you. Here on Oahu there's Bishop Museum which will be a great place to learn about the history of the island. Polynesian Cultural Center will give you a good taste of the cultures of not only Hawaii but other islands.

You will get a great view of the Na Pali coast from the ship. Hopefully it will be a clear day when you pass. We had a lot of vog the day we went.

I would recommend a tour of the Canyon as someone else suggested. It's beautiful.

Many visitors to the Waimea Canyon only see the magnificent view from the first viewpoint. But if you have the opportunity to continue up the road, the midway point gives a nice view of the waterfalls and the last stop (of 5) actually looks out over the remote Na Pali Coast and the ocean. We stopped at the Japanese market across from the Captain Cook monument in the small town of Waimea and picked up cold drinks and excellent sushi for a picnic lunch at the end of the road.

I have a couple of ideas, but most involve renting a car. Since it isn't a foreign country, there is no problem renting and driving yourself. (I forgot to check where you are from, I'm assuming the US.)

Honolulu: Arizona Memorial/USS Missouri, Polynesian Culture Center, Punch bowl Veterans Cemetery, Pali Lookout, Hanauma Bay, Diamond Head (nice hike here too), in addition to the other places mentioned.

Maui: Haleakala, the Needle, road to Hana, whale watching?

Kauai: Na Pali Coast

Hilo: definately Hawaii Volcano National Park

Kona: City of Refuge, Capt. Cook Monument/Kealakekua Bay

As you see, a rental car gets you to all of these places. You could take a tour, but you'd likely only get to one or 2 of the places on each Island. Check out the port pages of the forum. Lots of good information there.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. We appreciate your sharing. Not planning to rent a car, so will have to see which ship excursions might incorporate the places that have been mentioned.

Another general question ---- are there things to do near where the ship (Pride of America) will dock?

Hi, the only areas the ship moors at for shopping,tourist stuff is Kona and Kauai all the others are industrial. Kona is a tender port ,IE the ship anchors out and you ride the lifeboats in and out. Plenty of stuff to walk around in Kona or take a shuttle. Kauai you can walk to a nice beach and small shops along with the Marriott?? at the beach. All beach's are public. Try Roberts out for excursions . Have a great trip.

We rented a car on Oahu, and for one day each in Maui & Kauai. We still took a couple of excursions though...

Oahu - we did a morning tour to Pearl Harbor with Enoa Tours and the night before we sailed, we went to Germaine's for a luau. I also took a "Sunrise" photo tour and came back with some amazing shots.

Maui - we took NCL's excursion to the top of Haleakala on the 2nd day.

Hilo - A group of us from our Cruise Critic Roll Call booked a very enjoyable (and affordable) tour with Ricky.

Kona - NCL's excursion to Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm.

Kauai - I (DW chickened out) took a flight over the island with Wings Over Kauai.

We're headed back to Oahu for a week this August... thanks to Hawaiian Airlines. We had a little difficulty getting to Honolulu... :eek:

If you are interested in a Photo Tour on Oahu check out Oahu Photography Tours. I've been out with him several times and he never disappoints. Small groups and he is flexible with your photo skills and equipment. Plus he's a vet so that's a bonus to me :).