Pining for the fiords with walking difficulties

Our last several cruises I have written a day by day review of our cruises with particular reference to obstacles faced by those with limited mobility.

It’s tongue in cheek, long /in instalments and includes info on pre cruise hotels and travel as that is relevant to the theme of the review. There are also no pictures so if that’s not your type of review stop reading now.

Otherwise welcome to the latest travel adventures of myself and my husband aka 6.

Why 6 those of you who haven’t read my previous reviews may ask?

Those of you old enough to remember the 1970’s series the 6 Million Dollar Man or the Bionic Man as I think it was called in the USA may recall the case of ” Steve Austin-a man barely alive, we can rebuild him better, stronger, faster” at a cost of 6 million dollars.

Well my husband was struck with an aggressive form of Rheumatoid Arthritis in his forties and by the time he was diagnosed and effective treatment started most of the joints in his body had been damaged. Surgery so far consists of 2 hip resurfacing operations at an approximate cost of £6000-hence the nickname 6.

The main cause of his walking difficulties is his left ankle but classed as too young for replacement and to fuse the ankle joint has an uncertain outcome.

However he is a lot more mobile than he has been and disease is in remission. With the aid of weekly injections and oral anti inflammatories/pain killers as necessary he makes the most of life and indeed we have found cruising to be the ideal type of holiday for us as allows sightseeing at our own pace .

We arrived at the airport for our 10.45 flight 3 hours before as was anticipating heavy traffic-in fact was very light at 7.30! Check in desk was open but very short line, however as we still had to do the maze of taped off queue dividers was a bit dizzy by the time got to desk !

We had booked wheelchair assistance but check in operator didn’t pick up on it ,we considered going back but thought it’s quiet it’ll be OK. Realised our mistake when saw long snaking line through security-wheelchair assistance usually involves a short cut. The scanner as usual was set off by 6 metal hips and he was subject to the usual frisk-again he was disappointed that was not done by an attractive female!

So sat in lounge area having a coffee while waiting for the gate number to show and time to send our son a birthday text-yes I know what type of parents are we to desert our son on his birthday. In mitigation I should point out he is now 25.

Eventually gate number was called and followed the zig zag route through duty free. There was a sign saying 10 mins to gate. Well 6 has 2 speeds, tortoise and hare. Tortoise speed is the usual energy conserving mode-hare mode usually seen on board ship when in a hurry to get to the bar.

So in tortoise mode it took at least 20 minutes and no moving pavements to help along the way-should definitely have followed up on wheelchair assistance!

In the gate seating area a member of staff noted his walking stick and asked if he wanted to go in the priority boarding area-well it seemed as if half the plane had opted for that pay option so said would prefer to board when crowds had gone ahead as less chance of being jostled.

An uneventful flight saw us landing in Copenhagen an hour and a half later.

Unfortunately the gate was one of the furthest to the main concourse and our baggage claim was furthest away so by time retraced steps to exit 6 had had more than enough walking.

There is an excellent thread on the Baltics/Northern Europe ports of call board by Danish Viking describing how to get from airport to city or cruise ship cheaply by public transportation .However we decided to make it easy and get a taxi to our 1 night pre cruise hotel Adina apartment hotel Amerika Plads near Langeline pier. This cost 317 DKK £30 or $46.

We went through city centre and by the picturesque historic harbour but the taxi driver was a bit of a speed freak and weaving in and out of traffic so was a bit travel sick by time arrived at the hotel!

I was also ready for a shower and as the sun was out and a sultry 13 degreesC [55F] changed into knee length denim shorts-well we are from North East England and that’s summer wardrobe weather!

We had a quick explore of the local area which is mainly residential apartments with office buildings and main railway line running across the road. It’s close to Langeline pier with Little Mermaid a supposed 10 minutes walk and close to DFDS ferry terminal. Most cruise ships are now docking at Oceankaj a bit further out .

The whole of Copenhagen is very flat hence lots of bikes around which seemed to have their own interpretation of road use rules.

The hotel had a small kitchen with crockery etc a kettle toaster and microwave oven. There was a Netto small supermarket on the corner but when checked it out no microwaveable ready meals. If a stove top was provided could have cooked a simple meal with fresh meat and vegetables.

We found eggs milk bread cereal so were able to concoct scrambled eggs on toast and wine and beer were in stock so were able to have a chilled out night.

Entertainment was provided by a young lady in the residential apartment block opposite who decided to strip off her clothes in front of her window. For this reason alone 6 would recommend this hotel. I would also recommend it for the comfort and location but feel a stove top to add to the kitchen would make a self catering stay easier.

Off to bed to prepare for cruise starting tomorrow

Enjoyed meeting you both - and thanks for giving me a place at your table quite a few times. We all enjoyed the cruise; and I look forward to the rest of your review. The Fjords offer some of the most beautiful terrain on earth and with rainbows, 20 hours of near daylight each day, UBP.....what could be better?

Enjoyed meeting you both - and thanks for giving me a place at your table quite a few times. We all enjoyed the cruise; and I look forward to the rest of your review. The Fjords offer some of the most beautiful terrain on earth and with rainbows, 20 hours of near daylight each day, UBP.....what could be better?

enjoyed meeting you too-pleased to hear you're home safely-who knows we may cruise with you again

Our last several cruises I have written a day by day review of our cruises with particular reference to obstacles faced by those with limited mobility.

It’s tongue in cheek, long /in instalments and includes info on pre cruise hotels and travel as that is relevant to the theme of the review. There are also no pictures so if that’s not your type of review stop reading now.

Otherwise welcome to the latest travel adventures of myself and my husband aka 6.

Why 6 those of you who haven’t read my previous reviews may ask?

Those of you old enough to remember the 1970’s series the 6 Million Dollar Man or the Bionic Man as I think it was called in the USA may recall the case of ” Steve Austin-a man barely alive, we can rebuild him better, stronger, faster” at a cost of 6 million dollars.

Well my husband was struck with an aggressive form of Rheumatoid Arthritis in his forties and by the time he was diagnosed and effective treatment started most of the joints in his body had been damaged. Surgery so far consists of 2 hip resurfacing operations at an approximate cost of £6000-hence the nickname 6.

The main cause of his walking difficulties is his left ankle but classed as too young for replacement and to fuse the ankle joint has an uncertain outcome.

However he is a lot more mobile than he has been and disease is in remission. With the aid of weekly injections and oral anti inflammatories/pain killers as necessary he makes the most of life and indeed we have found cruising to be the ideal type of holiday for us as allows sightseeing at our own pace .

We arrived at the airport for our 10.45 flight 3 hours before as was anticipating heavy traffic-in fact was very light at 7.30! Check in desk was open but very short line, however as we still had to do the maze of taped off queue dividers was a bit dizzy by the time got to desk !

We had booked wheelchair assistance but check in operator didn’t pick up on it ,we considered going back but thought it’s quiet it’ll be OK. Realised our mistake when saw long snaking line through security-wheelchair assistance usually involves a short cut. The scanner as usual was set off by 6 metal hips and he was subject to the usual frisk-again he was disappointed that was not done by an attractive female!

So sat in lounge area having a coffee while waiting for the gate number to show and time to send our son a birthday text-yes I know what type of parents are we to desert our son on his birthday. In mitigation I should point out he is now 25.

Eventually gate number was called and followed the zig zag route through duty free. There was a sign saying 10 mins to gate. Well 6 has 2 speeds, tortoise and hare. Tortoise speed is the usual energy conserving mode-hare mode usually seen on board ship when in a hurry to get to the bar.

So in tortoise mode it took at least 20 minutes and no moving pavements to help along the way-should definitely have followed up on wheelchair assistance!

In the gate seating area a member of staff noted his walking stick and asked if he wanted to go in the priority boarding area-well it seemed as if half the plane had opted for that pay option so said would prefer to board when crowds had gone ahead as less chance of being jostled.

An uneventful flight saw us landing in Copenhagen an hour and a half later.

Unfortunately the gate was one of the furthest to the main concourse and our baggage claim was furthest away so by time retraced steps to exit 6 had had more than enough walking.

There is an excellent thread on the Baltics/Northern Europe ports of call board by Danish Viking describing how to get from airport to city or cruise ship cheaply by public transportation .However we decided to make it easy and get a taxi to our 1 night pre cruise hotel Adina apartment hotel Amerika Plads near Langeline pier. This cost 317 DKK £30 or $46.

We went through city centre and by the picturesque historic harbour but the taxi driver was a bit of a speed freak and weaving in and out of traffic so was a bit travel sick by time arrived at the hotel!

I was also ready for a shower and as the sun was out and a sultry 13 degreesC [55F] changed into knee length denim shorts-well we are from North East England and that’s summer wardrobe weather!

We had a quick explore of the local area which is mainly residential apartments with office buildings and main railway line running across the road. It’s close to Langeline pier with Little Mermaid a supposed 10 minutes walk and close to DFDS ferry terminal. Most cruise ships are now docking at Oceankaj a bit further out .

The whole of Copenhagen is very flat hence lots of bikes around which seemed to have their own interpretation of road use rules.

The hotel had a small kitchen with crockery etc a kettle toaster and microwave oven. There was a Netto small supermarket on the corner but when checked it out no microwaveable ready meals. If a stove top was provided could have cooked a simple meal with fresh meat and vegetables.

We found eggs milk bread cereal so were able to concoct scrambled eggs on toast and wine and beer were in stock so were able to have a chilled out night.

Entertainment was provided by a young lady in the residential apartment block opposite who decided to strip off her clothes in front of her window. For this reason alone 6 would recommend this hotel. I would also recommend it for the comfort and location but feel a stove top to add to the kitchen would make a self catering stay easier.

Off to bed to prepare for cruise starting tomorrow

Great to read your review fabnfortysomething. Thanks :D

Day 1 Embarkation day

Woke bright and early because the room didn’t have thick curtains just net so rising of sun meant light room, turned over and agghhh what a horrible sight!

Alongside 6 side of the bed was the wardrobe with floor to ceiling mirrors-catching sight of this middle aged couple with bed head not pretty!:D

We checked out 10.40,the front desk called a taxi to take us to Oceankaj which arrived within minutes and at 11am we were handing over our bags to the porters at the pier. Cost of taxi was 129 DKK £12 or $19.

At check in headed for gold and platinum check in area which had no queue. The girl checking us in gave us our boarding cards but when sat down realised she’d forgotten to give us a boarding number-not wanting to be sat there all day had to go back and she gave us boarding group 1 which meant when they called for boarding a few minutes later we were on the ship by 11.20.

Entry to the ship was via deck 4 and wanted to get to atrium level 7-there was a queue for the lifts so exercise for the day walked up the stairs.

Priorities first headed for desk selling drinks packages. We booked before the Ultimate Beverage Package[uBP] was a free promotion so had to purchase separately.

Costs for UBP $59 per day plus 18% gratuity[$54 if pre purchased] This includes most wine, beer cocktails and whisky etc as well as soft drinks.

We went for the corks and caps package at $44 per day which includes wine and beer up to $11 including prosecco which is 6 alcoholic drink of choice up to 3pm when he switches to beer. If all you drink is beer it may be difficult to get your moneys worth but a few glasses of Prosecco and in my case the most expensive red wine available under the package and it’s not hard to break even.

There is still the option to buy multiple bottles of wine at a 20% discount and buckets of beer buy 5 get 1 bottle free.

For soft drinks there is a soda package-sorry forgot price.

OK let’s head to O Sheehans for first Prosecco of the cruise and to overlook the atrium filling up with cruisers. First impressions of the ship is it’s very pretty. The 2 story atrium with curving staircases gives way to an open area all the way up to the top deck and leads to the glass elevators –the traditional WOW factor which personally speaking I think the larger ships such as Epic and Breakaway lack.

I left 6 at the bar and set off to achieve my next objective-a Thermal Spa pass-with the cool weather expected thought would get my moneys worth this cruise. After getting the tour I signed up for $129 for the week. As part of the tour I was given a trial massage demonstrating differences between bamboo ,hot stones and Thai poultice. I decided to treat myself and booked a seaweed massage at 5.15-an embarkation day special offering 100 minutes for the price of 75.Well I was feeling all knotted up after the stresses of the last few days-ha!:)

I returned to find 6 attempting to break even in the first hour on the corks and caps with Prosecco-I see an afternoon nap on the cards! As it was now 12.30 ordered burgers from O’Sheehans menu. At 1.10 the announcement was made that cabins were ready but we didn’t get round to checking ours out till 2pm.We sat on the balcony overlooking the pier and watched the onloading of crates of food onto the ship as well as the steady stream of people still embarking.

There has been some controversy about the introduction of a $7.95 room service charge –personally have never used room service as the menu was very limited and prefer to eat at a proper table. However reading the menu I noted an increased choice and perhaps more significant the breakfast room service menu before 10am remains free for hot beverages, cereals muffins etc-only hot food items attract the $7.95 charge.

2.30 a knock on the door revealed our lovely cabin stewardess Jennifer with our ship pins and platinum latitudes envelope. There were 2 vouchers for 2 people to eat at speciality restaurants so for the moment this perk remains per person not per stateroom. Reading the vouchers noted the platinum behind the scenes tour scheduled for 9.30am next day. With our meet and greet at 11 then latitudes cocktail party at 12 it was going to be a busy morning.

We set off to explore the ship and found the Champagne bar on deck 6 sandwiched between La Cucina and Le Bistro. I suggested this could be a good place to observe the crew implementing the new policy of no food to be taken from the restaurants by rugby tackling offending passengers to the floor.:D Sadly this did not occur due to the policy being withdrawn after a stream of protest on Cruisecritic.

Muster drill at 4.30 was held in Versailles main dining room and was over by 4.45.

6 headed off to further explore-ie the nearest bar and I headed to the spa via cabin to grab my swimming costume and noted both suitcases had been delivered.

As it turned out no costume required for the seaweed massage. I’ve had wrap treatments before and to avoid staining clothes the paper knickers on the bed was not a surprise but usually if that’s all you wear you get to place a towel over yourself to preserve modesty.

Nope-instructions were everything off, don paper knickers and lay face upwards on a layer of aluminium foil-mm feeling a bit vulnerable I did so and waited for my therapist Elizabeth a tiny Filipino lady to start my treatment[bear in mind I’m short at 5 foot 2 but she must have been well under 5 foot] however she had some strength once she got round to the massage.

Firstly a body brush and then spread seaweed cream all over my front including boobs then turn over to have applied to back .Then wrapped in foil for a Turkey ready for the oven impression. While basting I got a very relaxing scalp massage.

Time to unwrap the turkey and to shower off-the shower glass door was partly see through so Elizabeth was able to point out where I had failed to rinse off parts of the seaweed-by this time when she asked if I wanted a dry pair of paper knickers for the second part of the treatment it seemed a bit pointless ,bit like childbirth after a certain point modesty is misplaced.

Another wrap while getting a foot massage then a second shower. Then followed a full body massage which left me so relaxed I completely forgot about being starkers and could have walked out as I was afterwards-fortunately for the rest of the ship I didn’t!:D

I‘d missed sailaway at 5pm and it was now 7pm-we were out at sea but still land in sight. Found 6 in O’Sheehans and had drink with him before deciding to head to garden cafe for a buffet dinner.

About 9pm we found the 5 o clock somewhere bar and discovered Nick the guitarist and singer who we would end up listening to most nights. He was Australian as were a large percentage of the passengers-500 who had embarked in Miami for the transatlantic, been to the Baltics and were now still on board for the Norway itinery.

My main memory of his songs on that night was his version of Natalie Imbruglia song Torn. Lyrics “cold and ashamed lying naked on the floor” substitute floor with tin foil and it brought back memories of my spa treatment that afternoon!:)

Day 2-at sea

We woke up at 9am and were due to meet for the behind the scenes tour at 9.30! :eek:A quick shower and no time for breakfast and down to the meeting place at Ginza the Asian restaurant. On the way I banged my upper arm against the grabrails along the wall in the atrium and ended up with an inch and a half circular bruise for the rest of the cruise-and this is when I was sober!:D

This is only the second time we’ve been eligible for the Platinum latitudes tour-last year on NCL Jade there were a total of 5 on the tour. This time there were around 30 and had to be split into 2 groups. 6 was in hare mode so able to keep up with the group to our first visit of the bridge. Apart from all the technology the main memory I have is of a 5 foot tall metal hand on springs-apparently used very frequently when “waving “ to other ships and people on land especially when traversing the Panama canal!:)

2nd stop was the laundry-fascinating to watch the machines dry and fold all those sheets and towels but what a soul destroying job for those working there!

3rd stop was the theatre dressing room with all the masks and costumes hanging up ready for the shows.

Final visit was to the galley but we had to drop out as tour was over running and we were due at the Meet and Greet for 11

There are a lot of steps and walking involved on this tour-6 coped but there was one obstacle he struggled with .Along a corridor there was a foot high metal plate to step over-this is just at the wrong height for him as it’s the limit of how high he can lift his leg.-could see him wince.

Meet and Greet was at 11 in La Cucina restaurant. It felt strange to take a back seat as we’ve organised several such events on our last cruises. Last year was a particularly quiet roll call on NCL Jade out of Venice to Eastern Med but as around 15 people declared an interest we set one up-5 of us turned up-we were outnumbered by the 10 ships officers who attended!:o

This roll call had been a lot livelier and J the Meet and Greet organiser had put a lot of time and effort including beautifully decorated invitations and lanyards which will keep as a souvenir of the cruise.

Fortunately the attendance at this one was great-didnt take a count but estimate 50-60 turned up. J had also organised a group booking for the Flam railway and this was the opportunity to reimburse her. I tried to get around as many people as I could to put faces to screen names but there were several people never did get to meet .As usual there were several we kept bumping into around the ship[strangely usually the bar area]

J had also organised a slot pull for 12 o clock but we had another appointment with the latitudes party in Spinaker where recognised several officers who had just attended our meet and greet.

With over 900 latitudes guests present on a ship of about 2500 the crew had to split into 2 parties at different times.

We recognised B from the meet and greet coming in and waved her over to sit with us while trying to decide which of the complimentary drinks on offer were the most palatable. They must use the most vinegar tasting wines for these free parties, when having access to unlimited wine on a package the contrast is noticeable! B and I chose a sparkling wine which was OK and 6 chose a beer.

Didnt win the raffle but as 6 favourite prize of an NCL Mastercard lanyard wasn’t on offer wasn’t too disappointed.

Some interesting facts and figures followed including the presence of over 500 Australians on board who had boarded the ship in Miami for the transatlantic, done the Baltics and now the Norway itinery. Many had also been planning to do the Panama Canal trip which was cancelled on April 12 due to required dry dock work on the azipods. We did meet several of them and had a great time socialising-not trying to stereotype Australians and people from the North East as big drinkers but we did discover a similar interest in the on board bars!

I had 2 complimentary speciality restaurant vouchers as part of platinum rewards to be used in either Le Bistro, La Cucina or Moderno so I headed to restaurant reservations to book in. Even this early in the cruise there was very little availability unless wanted to eat after 9.30pm.I got a table 6pm for La Cucina on Geiranger day and 6.15 Moderno on Bergen day.

A lunch of fish and chips in O Sheehans and glass Prosecco saw me fed and watered and ready to do my first thermal spa visit. The spa has padded lounges opposite floor to ceiling windows at Aft of ship so a great place to watch the wake at sea or to view scenery when in port. There was a small pool ,Jacuzzi and therapy pool as well as sauna and steam room-very pretty place and was never too crowded when I was in there.

Went in search of 6 –ie tour the bars and found him in O Sheehans[he had apparently been other places in between me leaving him there after lunch]We bumped into Aussies K and W there from the meet and greet and proceeded to make the most of the drinks packages with them! So much for intention to get shower and change for dinner-8 pm we decided food was required to soak up the alcohol so nipped up to the buffet.

On returning to the room we noticed a stale cigarette smell strongest underneath the air conditioning vent in the middle of the room-nothing noticeable on the balcony so not coming from neighbours having a sneaky cigarette .We reported this several times but never did get it completely resolved .It wasn’t noticeable every time we opened the door to the cabin but was intermittent. The first maintenance guy thought that could be coming from deck 7 below where smoking allowed and being sucked up into the air conditioning unit however his colleague contradicted saying would be noticeable in over 70 cabins if that were the case. We’ve never noticed this smell on any other cruise we’ve done even when smoking was allowed on the balcony .As mentioned despite several reports and investigations the problem recurred throughout the cruise.

We headed back to the 5 o clock somewhere bar to catch troubadour Nick-about 8 of us there plus 3 bar staff was the busiest audience he’d had for 3 weeks. There was a lively group of 4 and with interaction with the bar staff he cancelled his 15 minute break at 10 and played on through to make sure he didn’t lose his audience!

Got to bed around midnight-not too sure as according to 6 I was the one with walking difficulties hey I still maintain the ship was rocking that night!

:D

Glad you introduced me to the sparkling wine/Prosecco at the Latitudes party. I stayed with that most of the cruise. I agree about Australians being some of the friendliest people on earth - and that we Northeasterners can belly up to any bar and keep pace with the locals (at least most of the time!).

Thanks for a description of the behind the scenes tour. My hubbie used my pass for it, and I couldn't get any kind of info from him. I now know more about it from your post than from 7 days of my questions.

Wish I were sharing a sparkling wine now! Dirty house and yard work staring at me. Back to reality.

Glad you introduced me to the sparkling wine/Prosecco at the Latitudes party. I stayed with that most of the cruise. I agree about Australians being some of the friendliest people on earth - and that we Northeasterners can belly up to any bar and keep pace with the locals (at least most of the time!).

Thanks for a description of the behind the scenes tour. My hubbie used my pass for it, and I couldn't get any kind of info from him. I now know more about it from your post than from 7 days of my questions.

Wish I were sharing a sparkling wine now! Dirty house and yard work staring at me. Back to reality.

lol men!

was back at work Thursday but at least writing this review is helping to relive the memories

Day 3 Alesund

A lie in till 9.30 but in no rush today-we had breakfast at the buffet then collected cardigan and coat to take photos from the pool deck. This was deserted-not going to be a problem with chair hogs on this cruise!:)

I had found info on HOHO buses and a tram sightseeing tour which included photo opportunities from the observatory/viewing point but as it was raining we decided to stay on board-views on ship were still good with snow covered mountains and the houses lining the pier.

I don’t include photos with my reviews as they honestly aren’t good enough but if you want an idea of really good photos of ports on this cruise look over on the ports of call board-Baltics and Northern Europe and do a search for I-cruiser or TLCOhio-their photos are incredible.

We hung around in the atrium most of the morning people watching-noticed many people were returning to the ship after short trips ashore-the rain was putting a real dampener on things[no pun intended]

After lunch I headed to the spa to enjoy views of Alesund from the aft picture windows. There was a spa special-Spatopia for $149 which includes 75 mins of hot stone or bamboo massage ,facial ,foot and scalp massage .My therapist from yesterday Elizabeth was available at 4.30 so reasoned I was worth it and might relieve this slight headache I had-surely a coincidence that got good value out of the corks and caps package yesterday!

I went back to the cabin to tell 6 of my plans over sailaway to find him bundled up on the balcony with a pair of binoculars and the weather had cleared up to the extent the sun was trying to make an appearance!

My massage was very relaxing and I believe I may have started to snore!:D This was also a lot less exposed then yesterday as wore own bikini bottoms and was covered with a towel at all times.

I got out of the spa about 6 o clock after sailaway and found we were sailing along the fiord with tree covered mountains along the side and inlets giving views of snow covered mountains in the distance-spectacular!

I found 6 in the 5 o clock bar listening to Nicks early set and joined him for a drink but promised self was going to get changed for dinner tonight-anyway I desperately needed to wash my hair after the scalp massage as it was feeling really greasy.

D another Australian from the meet and greet passed through and said they had a regular table seating 8 at 6.30pm in the Versailles MDR and invited us to join them-as it was almost that time we had to decline but promised to join them another night.

I did get my shower and we changed into slightly more dressy attire for the evening and decided to eat in O Sheehans in a booth by the windows so could watch the scenery while eating. The ship was going at an extremely slow speed as just had to reach the end of the fiord by morning

Heading back to 5 o clock bar around 9pm we discovered Nicks fan club had increased to 14!

Sunset tonight was 10.45 and if it hadn’t been so cloudy could have got some great photos-it never really did get dark-almost at land of Midnight sun after all

Altogether a very relaxing day and minimal walking involved

Day 4 Geiranger

We were woken by tender announcements but had tour booked at 12 so had another lie in. When drew back the curtains-WOW if I thought last nights scenery was spectacular this was even more so .We were right at the end of the fiord and mountains started a few hundred feet away-double the height of last night .Snow covering the top half and loads of small waterfalls caused by the snow melt as well as more permanent gushing ones at end of fiord and cascading down towards the town .There was a campsite at the beach with a collection of caravans-no tents –bit cold for that!

Geiranger is a hikers paradise which of course means if you cant walk far you need other options .It’s a tender port as no dock but using ships own lifeboats it’s only a couple hundred feet to the “pier”

We caught the tender about 11 and exploration of the lower town took approx 5 minutes-the biggest tourist attraction was the statue of the troll which had a steady stream of people having their photos taken with it.

Weather was a combination of sun and showers and on the cool side.

I had booked a 2 hour mountain bus tour to Mount Dalsnibba online-all 3 tours at 9.30,12 and 12.30 had sold out weeks before-cost 290 NOK per person,$37 or £24.

On the way to the tourist info office to exchange voucher for ticket we ran the gauntlet of the local HOHO ticket touts-2 on left promoting the local bus and 2 on the left promoting city sightseeing.

Both lasting 1 ½ hours and costing 240NOK.Now when I say HOHO there are 2 stops Flydalsjuvet viewpoint and Eagles Road viewpoint situated at opposite ends out of Geiranger village.

The local tour was a large white bus with a green troll painted on the side-the city sightseeing bus was a smaller bus but with roll up plastic windows .Depends on how the weather is which one to pick!

We found the meeting point pretty easy a charming concrete bus stop where everyone milled around with no obvious queue. This was made even more of a mess when a young lady turned up and herded the group over the road to await the bus-of course it was a free for all with late comers forming head of queue.

The bus arrived and began disgorging the passengers from the previous tour from 2 doors, front and central-our young lady was attempting to collect tickets as people entered by the front door but half people just swarmed past her and piled on via the central door!

Fortunately there were seats for everyone and didn’t notice a situation where couples were unable to sit together.

We set off up the mountain via a continuous series of hair pin bends occasionally passing cars coming the other direction who had to give way as the bus needed to take a wide sweep on the other end of the road. The inevitable happened and we encountered another bus coming down and ours had to reverse several hundred feet to a [slightly] wider part to allow both to pass.

We got to the first viewing point Flydalsjuvet where could see our ship in the foreground. The driver who appeared to speak little English announced “5 minutes” implying a short photo stop-there was certainly no stragglers back to the bus as 5 minutes outside was as much as people could tolerate the cold! There were also HOHO buses at that viewpoint.

There was supposed to be an audio guide on the bus but not working. We carried on the road up the mountain to snow level when the bus stopped-driver announced “road closed” and turned the bus around-this was half an hour into the tour. As the bus driver couldn’t communicate further we were unsure as to what was going to happen-was this the end of the tour?

We headed back into Geiranger where the same young lady who had collected tickets got on the bus, took the microphone and apologised for the lack of audio guide but she would be our personal guide from now-this cheered 6 up no end as she was young and pretty.

Apparently they had a phone call earlier that morning that the road up to Mount Dalsnibba was closed due to heavy snow the day before but times to reopen the road kept varying-they thought we would be OK by 12 but obviously not.

The alternative plan was to visit Eagle Road the other viewpoint on the HOHO bus but we would then climb higher to a mountain lake village.

Eagle road viewpoint gave another viewpoint of our ship and of the famous 7 sisters waterfalls. We had 15 minute stop here for photos and again no one was late getting back on the bus!

While heading further up the mountain the guide explained that this road was carved out of the mountain by dynamite and when the road is blocked by snow the locals are trapped-from October to February the sun is never seen above the mountains. When cruise ships first started calling the locals weren’t too happy until they realised the amount of money to be made from tourism. Local farmers rented out their mountain homes as holiday lets and most go to warmer weather climes during winter. A few hardy souls remain-local population 250 in winter rising to 15000 in Summer with influx of tourists.

She also told us the legend of the Geiranger trolls who can change their monstrous appearance to that of a beautiful woman-the purpose of which is to seduce the sweet innocent young men of the villages and carry them off into the mountains to be their sex slaves. Whether this classes as a fate worse than death obviously depends on your point of view as 6 was looking pretty interested!

However the one thing they couldn’t hide was their tail-the guides suggestion that a cautious man would check under the ladies skirt first seems to be to be asking for a slap on the face!

Happily if the troll bride remained a virgin until her wedding night the tail would drop off and she would remain a beautiful woman and man and troll wife could live happily ever after.

Well all I can say is what a magnificent piece of propaganda by the Geiranger females-how best to ensure you get a ring on your finger before submitting to a mans bestial urges!!

As we approached the mountain lake it started to snow and we soon found out who on the bus found this a novelty as they started to cheer!

At Eidsvatnet the Mountain lake village the sun came out and I found it quite warm although judging by the hats scarves and gloves in evidence I was in the minority .It was a shame we didn’t get to the original viewpoint but we still had an enjoyable day.

We got tender back about 2 and found the musician trio in the atrium playing theme tune to Titanic!!

In the room I found a plate of chocolate covered strawberries presumably an apology for the cigarette smell complaint .I grabbed my costume and spent an hour or so gazing out the windows at views of Geiranger-this was definitely my favourite port.

At sailaway the captain suggested people go up on deck for dramatic scenery and I saw the most people up there I had all cruise. I took photos of views from both sides then retreated to the shelter of our balcony to enjoy-as we sailed along the fiord I could see several houses perching on the sides of the mountain but no apparent way to get up there-too many deep chasms in side to allow roads!

We had a reservation 6.15 in La Cucina for one of our platinum latitudes complimentary meals .We had tried La Cucina last year on the Jade and weren’t impressed-specifically very slow service and the Bolognaise pizza had a thick chewy base, too much cheese and dry lumps of meatballs instead of a smooth tomato and mince sauce.

This time I had fried calamari, lasagne and ice cream 6 had Caesar salad a pasta dish and ice cream which was very nice and we were served and finished within an hour. I had been unable to get a reservation around 7 as they said were fully booked –however at 7.15 when we were leaving at least half the tables were unoccupied-don’t know whether this is due to lack of wait staff or a wish to give an impression that it is so popular you need to book ahead of time.

Whereas the ship had sailed at a snails pace the night before there was a much longer distance to cover by morning so the ship was now whizzing along-we were out of the fiord in less than 4 hours and out in open seas heading down the coast. The ship was rocking as a result and absolutely nothing to do with amount of alcohol consumed!

If you are fit and healthy exploring the waterfall trail and nature park would have been a great experience but I did feel we saw a lot of the local area in comfort on our bus tour-would definitely recommend !

I am reliving memories as you write this! It was a great trip. Still sorting through our 1200 photos.

I did a time lapse movie while leaving Geiranger - it is pretty neat. Unforunately my camera fell off the wall a couple of times so there are blips. I'll try and put it on youtube tonight.

D.

I am reliving memories as you write this! It was a great trip. Still sorting through our 1200 photos.

I did a time lapse movie while leaving Geiranger - it is pretty neat. Unforunately my camera fell off the wall a couple of times so there are blips. I'll try and put it on youtube tonight.

D.

I remember you from the cruise, didnt manage to talk to you but weren't you the couple with the young child?

I remember you from the cruise, didnt manage to talk to you but weren't you the couple with the young child?

Yup, that's us. It was his best trip ever (and our favourite with him). Everything just went really well.

Day 3 Alesund

I don’t include photos with my reviews as they honestly aren’t good enough but if you want an idea of really good photos of ports on this cruise look over on the ports of call board-Baltics and Northern Europe and do a search for I-cruiser or TLCOhio-their photos are incredible.

Appreciate your nice and kind mention. Your reports reflect lots of very good details and wonderful sharing. If folks need some "eye candy" of the visual areas for Norway, Copenhagen, etc., below is the link to my live/blog that was done in sailing up and down this scenic Norway coast.

Below are four quick samples/examples from Alesund. Nice town!! We got a rental car and went south to Rund Island. Plus, getting up for the great overview from the top of the mountain overlooking the town. Hope you do not mind me dropping by and posting some of the visuals for this one town.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 178,553 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

At a lower, street-level part of Alesund, here are some of the buildings along the central waterway, plus a nice statue.:

AlesundHarborLowerStat.jpg

In Alesund, here is one of the interesting stone buildings in this area with a scenic canal or “sound” running through the middle of the business area. This building is an old pharmacy called the “swan”. That is why there is a statue of a swan above the entrance. This building now holds a cafe and a "jugend style" museum. Here you can see the history of the town, when the fire burned down the earlier buildings, etc. It is rated as an interesting multi-media show.:

AlesundDowntownStoneBldg.jpg

From the Aksla viewpoint in Alesund, here is another angle with the spectacular view that shows distance islands, landscapes and mountains. Plus, the steps below as people walk up to see this vantage point.:

AlesundVistaPerch.jpg

In Geiranger, did 6 have any trouble getting on & off the tender? How about other tender ports?

Love your report!!!

they used the ships own lifeboats which were accessed via deck 4.There were a few steps to get down side of ship and onto the boat but there was a wide flat platform to bridge the gap and the crew very experienced in guiding people into the boat.so he managed OK.Steps down into seating area are steep but not at that critical height where he finds it difficult to raise his leg.

that was the only tender port on this itinery-other ports it was walk off via gangway at level 4

Yup, that's us. It was his best trip ever (and our favourite with him). Everything just went really well.

Hello... We know you both, and we miss you both.. It was fab.. Oh pardon the pun to have met, and our OzCanuck friends, hope we get lucky enough cross paths again, wonderful family, great kid... All over too soon. If only one more catch up!!

Keep safe and well... Oh and happpppy!!

Cheers Kris and Wazza :D