Review of Denali portion of HAL cruise tour

rslinky

Our tour included one night in Anchorage, the train to Denali and there for three nights, and then the bus to Seward.

We opted to fly in a day early to give us two nights in Seward. We stayed at the Westmark, HAL's hotel. The room was small but newly refurbished and very clean. The location is great for walking Anchorage.

We ate at the Glacier Brewhouse which we enjoyed. We were tired from our 15 hour journey to get there so we just split a pizza but it was very good. The second night we ate at the Snow Goose which was also good.

We took the simple trolley tour of town. Not good for taking of pictures, but informative, taking us places we wouldn't have walked. We took the free shuttle to the Native Heritage Center. Enjoyed the dance demonstrations and the examples of living quarters from various tribes.

We were able to pick up our check in packet early before it got crowded. The bus ride to the train was short and well organized.

Train was very comfortable - lots of leg room and comfy seats. The guides were new and didn't have it down perfectly, but we were a captive audience. Our train car was only about 80% full. Having read that lunch could get really late we made a plan. We stopped at a donut place in downtown Anchorage and got a donut to have in the morning. We were up by 6:00. Then we opted for breakfast on the train. By the time we ate it was close to 10:30. It was a great breakfast - couldn't eat it all. People wanting lunch were not called until about 12:30 and second seating much later. If we had been hungry in the afternoon, we knew that we could order the nachos, popcorn, chili or other snacks in the upper car. So I recommend that you opt for breakfast and snack later if necessary.

We didn't get to the McKinley Chalet Resort until 5:30. So a long day, but we saw several moose, the dall sheep, a few eagles and of course, pretty scenery along the way with lots of stories and history from our guides.

We stayed at the Canyon Lodge. It was like a regular hotel - a new accommodation there. Room was small but adequate considering we only slept there. Great mountain view out our front window.

Lodge was a busy place but everything seemed very organized. Two computers there for checking internet were seldom in use. Dinner in the Bar/Grill two nights. A nice drink, view and simple dinner. We did the dinner theatre show the first night. The food was better than I figured it would be but the show was really not very entertaining.

The only real complaint of the Resort was the shuttle. This was early season and they used one small shuttle that was usually full by the time it got to the Canyon Lodge, the last stop before the top. More shuttles or larger ones are certainly necessary.

Denali WOW What a beautiful place. Do your homework before you go so you can make the most of your limited time there. First day was our Tundra Wilderness Tour which was shortened to only mile 30 due the road not being fully open. By end of this month, I believe the full road will be open.

Bus uncomfortable, but the driver really had a passion for the park. Even stopped to pick up some trash - which is seldom seen in the park. When we got back from that - about 5 hours, we took the free shuttle to the Huskies. You really get up front and personal with the dogs, being able to pet many, and hug a few more. The demonstration is quick and the information is mostly about using the dogs in the park as that is how they patrol in the winter. A great option if you don't want to pay the price of the actual huskey excursion where the information will be more about the race.

There is a free shuttle that will take you out to mile 15. It was running every two hours when we were there and I suspect will have added runs as season gets under way. There is a 2 mile simple hike at Savage River. You get let off and can walk a mile into the canyon and then cross the river on a bridge and walk the mile back. Wild flowers, beautiful views, dall sheep. There were very few people on it the day we did it. We were fortunate to encounter two grizzlies who ignored us. They were above us when we first spotted them. Kept our distance and they walked across the trail and down to the river where they played. So much fun to see them. So if you go, watch for bear, and know what to do. Make noise, make your self big and most of all do not run. It was a windy day so mosquitos were not an issue, though we had seen a few around the resort. Go prepared with water and mosquito repellant.

Best part of our time there was the mountain itself. We saw it partially the first day, and clear and full the other two days. So lucky.

The bus ride back to the ship was long and not near as comfortable as the train. The driver - Dwayne - made it bearable by his stories and knowledge. Enough stops and beautiful scenery. The trip was just over 10 hours.

I think there is a misprint in your narrative. It doesn't look like you left Anchorage your extra days??? You have it listed as Seward- but all your listed actives and food options are Anchorage.

We started in Anchorage. There two days. Then train to Denali where we were for three nights. Then we took a bus from Denali to Seward to board the ship. The only thing we did in Seward was board the ship.

Our tour included one night in Anchorage, the train to Denali and there for three nights, and then the bus to Seward.

We opted to fly in a day early to give us two nights in Seward. We stayed at the Westmark, HAL's hotel. The room was small but newly refurbished and very clean. The location is great for walking Anchorage.

So you did't spent two nights in Seward? This point is what Budget Queen is trying to clarify. And for all who are reading this thread I am not aware that HAL has ever had a hotel property in Seward.

So you did't spent two nights in Seward? This point is what Budget Queen is trying to clarify. And for all who are reading this thread I am not aware that HAL has ever had a hotel property in Seward.

HAL uses the Seward Windsong Lodge for it's cruise tour guests.

Edited by oaktreerb

Thank you for doing such a complete review. We will be in Denali for three nights starting next week. I hope our weather is as good as you experienced. I've taken the train trip from Anchorage to Denali five times and have yet to see any animals from the train. The hike you took at Savage river sounds like a great hike, especially with the bear sighting! I wonder why HAL includes the TWT when they know the park road is not open that far out in May.

I was also interested in the long bus ride from Denali to Seward in those Direct to Denali tours. The scenery is good and I know the busses stop along the way but 10 hours on a bus. Too long for me!

HAL uses the Seward Windsong Lodge for it's cruise tour guests.

While my post was as clear as mud, I was thinking of HAL ownership. Unless ownership has changed very recently I believe that the Windsong Lodge is owned by CIRI, one of our Alaskan Native corporations.

• 2 weeks later...
We started in Anchorage. There two days. Then train to Denali where we were for three nights. Then we took a bus from Denali to Seward to board the ship. The only thing we did in Seward was board the ship.

We have a very similar set up coming up, just 2 night in Denali is the only difference. Thank you for the details but I was wondering if you did anything else specific in Denali?

We are going to get in off the train on day one, and I planned for just going for a hike that night and getting dinner (are there other places or you just at the hotel because it was easiest?).

On day 2 we will have the longer TWT Bus Tour but was curious as to what time you boarded? I read it is early, like 7:00 AM, but just trying to get an idea of times. I'm just unsure of any sort of major excursion (like flightseeing) because I'm not sure when we will get back... But I was also planning on visiting the sled dog area too. I'm thinking those plus a hike might fill the day.

We leave the 3rd day at 7:00AM on the bus to Seward, so not planning anything for then.

Found the map for Savage River (click for PDF) for those others interested to pinpoint the story:

canyon_image+trail_map_556.jpg

Edited by Curtieson

I wonder why HAL includes the TWT when they know the park road is not open that far out in May.

I wrote to HAL about this tour not being available until later in May and suggested they include this info in their literature. We were very lucky in that we saw the "big four" on our shortened tour.

The line for the shuttle to the dog demo started to form about 20 minutes before the suggested time. (1:00 for the 1:20 shuttle to the 2 pm demo). Those on the first shuttles had more time to visit with the dogs before the demo. Those on the later shuttles visited to dogs after the demo. People went to the "stands" fairly quickly to get front row seats. Others had to stand.