Entertainment On The NCL Gem ?

Ellen113

We were on the Gem the first week of May. September is a long way off (although the production shows are likely to be the same, the solo performers may well be different). Here's what I posted re the entertainment in my thread about our otherwise wonderful cruise:

Entertainment : NCL is usually pretty good or better on this score, not so much on this trip. We went to two production shows, and while the cast was energetic, the shows were lame at best. (And memo to the producers of "World Beat": "Whatever Lola Wants" is not music from Spain or Mexico, it's from the Broadway show "Damn Yankees.")

We also went to guest artist Jeri Sager's show. She was billed as a Broadway singer and actress who was going to sing Broadway show tunes, and we were very much looking forward to that. Sadly, although Ms. Sager has a very good voice, she spent far too much time talking and not singing. She also made the show more about herself than anything else. For example, the second song she sang was her own altered version of "Liza With a Z" (she never mentioned that, and I suspect many folks in the audience did not know the real song), which she set up by claiming people often call her Teri, and she sang "It's Jeri with a J, not Teri with a T," the whole Liza song altered for her. Sorry, Ms. Sager, you aren't famous, you aren't a legend, and that song does not work for you. By the time she launched into what felt like a 20-minute monologue about Grizabella (a role she played in "Cats"), people were walking out. C'mon, stop talking and sing "Memory." I think she maybe sang five songs in the entire show. Again, she has a good voice. I just wish she had put it to better use, she really could have done a great show.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2207953&highlight=jeri+sager

I hope you have a great trip!

Seadog67 has a semi-live update on the GEM this week, he's on his last evening enjoying the NY-Bahamas-Nassau sailing, lots of pictures - having been on the GEM ourselves, it brings back good memories. Ships is doing some New England/Canada runs next month & again in September, so you might want to check again in 2 or 3 weeks for more updates, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2212638