Quick Review - SEA GRAPE BEACH

als310

My bf and I just went to Sea Grape beach in Grand Cayman. We got there around 11, hardly anyone there. Found a little area on the beach by ourselves and put our towels down. The beach was absolutely beautiful! Around 12 or so, some of the crowds started to roll in, but honestly the place did not get crowded like some of these posts make it sound. (We were there Sept 6). You can rent chairs, and over by the chairs it is a little more crowded but still didn't seem too bad. Went up to the bar for a few drinks and something to eat (good conch fritters!) and then just laid back in the sun. Recommend it if you're looking for something cheap to do, and not overly crowded! They also have snorkel equipment to rent, if you are looking to snorkel - we didn't do that, but actually saw some cool fish just by wading in the water!

Thanks for the review. :) I've been looking for an AI to purchase a day pass, but I've not had any luck. :( Do you happen to know if they rented umbrellas with the chairs? Also, what were the facilities like? What was the sand & water like? We want a nice beach, with nice restroom facilities, chairs w/ umbrellas, & food & drink available. With this beach meet our needs? Sorry, for so many questions. :o Thanks for your help. :)

I'm pretty sure they rented umbrellas too, not 100% positive....The sand was beautiful, water was really clear, you could actually see fish swimming around in it (not too many!) Water was warm, but still refreshing, and very calm. The restrooms were pretty clean, not perfect but I guess thats hard on a beach! They had working toilets and sinks, so no complaints! Just a little small. We just got conch fritters and fries at the bar, but they seemed to have a pretty decent menu, and a lot of specialty drinks as well as beer. The prices were decent too, of course a little high b/c you're in Grand Cayman, but not bad!

Yes, they rent both chairs and umbrellas along with lots of other stuff. SAnd and water there is beautiful, sand is what you think of when seeing the tropical pictures, the water was clear and blue and warm. The slope of the beach goes down some, but then levels off once you get to the water. The water is also not very deep for a long way out. We rented jet skis at Sea Grape, but rented chairs just up the beach at Courtyard Beach. The facilities we used were very clean for changing and restrooms. Outdoor shower to rinse off at and food and drinks available. Chairs were $10.00 a piece, but included one drink. We had a great day. I agree the crowds were not that bad, but did increase as the day went on. But there is so much room you don't need to crowd others.

Hey Tarheel -

Yes, the facilities were at Courtyard. It is the same beach in all respects as Sea Grape. Sea Grape will rent you chairs and umbrellas as well and they have Cactus Jack's or something like that for food. We had a little outdoor cafe as well, but it was run by the hotel. At our beach Red Sail Sports was not renting jet skis because of the surf, so we just walked down to Sea Grape and rented there. It was maybe a 2 minute walk or so. You could clearly see it from our chairs. Maybe a 1,000 feet or so away. So the sand and water were perfect and I was able to experience both places.

Both locations had taxis waiting to take you back to town also. We went to Courtyard, because it was the first stop on returning from Hell and we heard good things about both locations so we weren't too picky.

I have a great idea. Why don't I just come along and be your personal tour guide. :D I can help you everywhere and I don't require too much maintenance. A little sunscreen and some drinks of the day... 28_1_14.gif

zydecocruiser has some great pictures of both beaches.

http://pak06.pictures.aol.com/NASApp/ygp/GuestLogin?event=DirectView&shareInfo=esv4e%2b9w77kboIs2Be4jSN3Gpa8pfblSoZzd67C6DW9WGd%2bBXiXp6w%3d%3d&pageName=AlbumViewFromEmails&locale=en_US&locale=en_US

Babysam99 also has some pictures as well

http://community.webshots.com/album/226844924hFqGDN/2

in this site if you type in Grand Cayman in "search" you will come up with tons of photos.

We were at SEA Grape beach just last week. Everything is just as TheWog described it. Chair and umbrella $15 w/ drink included and the snorkeling is good too. Some areas a little crowded but, you only have to walk a little ways to get an area all to yourself. Take plenty of sunscreen it won't take long to burn!

Hey Tarheel -

Yes, the facilities were at Courtyard. It is the same beach in all respects as Sea Grape. Sea Grape will rent you chairs and umbrellas as well and they have Cactus Jack's or something like that for food. We had a little outdoor cafe as well, but it was run by the hotel. At our beach Red Sail Sports was not renting jet skis because of the surf, so we just walked down to Sea Grape and rented there. It was maybe a 2 minute walk or so. You could clearly see it from our chairs. Maybe a 1,000 feet or so away. So the sand and water were perfect and I was able to experience both places.

Both locations had taxis waiting to take you back to town also. We went to Courtyard, because it was the first stop on returning from Hell and we heard good things about both locations so we weren't too picky.

I have a great idea. Why don't I just come along and be your personal tour guide. :D I can help you everywhere and I don't require too much maintenance. A little sunscreen and some drinks of the day... 28_1_14.gif

zydecocruiser has some great pictures of both beaches.

http://pak06.pictures.aol.com/NASApp/ygp/GuestLogin?event=DirectView&shareInfo=esv4e%2b9w77kboIs2Be4jSN3Gpa8pfblSoZzd67C6DW9WGd%2bBXiXp6w%3d%3d&pageName=AlbumViewFromEmails&locale=en_US&locale=en_US

Babysam99 also has some pictures as well

http://community.webshots.com/album/226844924hFqGDN/2

in this site if you type in Grand Cayman in "search" you will come up with tons of photos.

Thanks again for all your help. It sounds like both locations are great! Offering the things we're looking for. Which location would you recommend for better restroom facilities? Also, we probably won't do any actve watersports, but may want to rent a float. Can we rent one at either location? Is one location more crowded than the other? Will the questions ever end??? :p Thanks for the photo links. We could always use a private guide. ;)

We were at SEA Grape beach just last week. Everything is just as TheWog described it. Chair and umbrella $15 w/ drink included and the snorkeling is good too. Some areas a little crowded but, you only have to walk a little ways to get an area all to yourself. Take plenty of sunscreen it won't take long to burn!

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely have lots of sunscreen. I have very light skin. I always have to make sure umbrellas are available. My DH, on the other hand, can get completely fried in the sun then it all turns brown the next day. Me... I burn then peel, burn then peel, etc. :mad:

As mentioned above the shade trees are pretty much gone. It was pretty windy for part of the day we were there and we were speaking with the people renting our jet skis and all the trees on the other side of the street were gone and they used to act as a wind break. After the hurricane came through they were all gone and the wind had picked up there.

For Tarheel, I didn't use the facilities at Sea Grape, so I can't comment. I am sure they are both similar in cleanliness. I don't think you will go wrong with either location you choose. I don't recall floats for rent, but I wasn't paying attention. If either of the places had floats it would be Sea Grape over Courtyard.

This is a VERY helpfull post. But, I have a few question's......

We will be in Grand Cayman next year on February 16th. Will it be warm enough (the air AND the water) to go swimming?

Can we just go to this beach, by ourselves via a taxi? Or do we have to buy an excursion through our ship? Or, do we have to rent a room at one of the hotels?

Are their taxi's in the area? Will we/ could we be stranded?

Why I am asking is because I just added up all the fee's for beach excursions for four people and we are at $800.00!!!!:eek: (for instance, at Grand Cayman, a "Seven Mile Beach Break" is $128.00 for two adults and our two girls (who are over 12)!!!) (we will be on an 11 day cruise to 6 ports, and beach days add up.....!!!!) I HAVE TO try and reduce this amount a bit by finding a much less expensive way to have "Beach Days"......:cool:

Does ANYONE have any suggestions????!!!! PLEASE????!!!!

I would TRULY APPRECIATE IT!!!!:) THANK YOU for any and ALL help and/or suggestions.

Suesan:) :)

Suesan -

No worries. Your friends here will help.

Yes, it will be warm enough. We were there in January and received plenty of sun (translation - sunburn) water was very warm, air was hot and I jet ski'd and swam for a few hours that day.

Yes, you can certainly take a cab on your own. They are little bus type cabs and your whole family can fit. It is $4 per person one way - $32 for your family of 4 roun trip. The beach is a public beach, so if you don't rent a chair, umbrella or buy drinks you are into the beach day for $32. If you would like to rent the amenities you can do so and you will also have lunch to purchase - money saving tip could be to order room service sandwiches in the morning and bring them with you with a bottle of water or something. Cuts down on costs if you are looking for something inexpensive. Food, etc on GC is very expensive... just be prepared.

WOW!!! Thank you VERY MUCH for your VERY HELPFULL advice!!! What a GREAT idea, ordering room service lunch in the morning before we leave!!! The girls are excrutiangly fussy, so, what a super idea!!! I will just have to pack a little insulated bag and a few freezer packs....

By chance, do you know what it would cost to rent chairs and an umbrella? Who do you rent them from??

Just wondering, because I have absolutely NO CLUE about what to expect. I NEED HELP!!!:D

Which beach would you HIGHLY reccomend???

Do you have any other words-of-wisdom???? THANK YOU!!!

Suesan:) :) :)

here are some photos courtesy of zydecocruiser

Courtyard Beach http://pak06.pictures.aol.com/NASApp/ygp/GuestLogin?event=DirectView&shareInfo=esv4e%2b9w77kboIs2Be4jSN3Gpa8pfblSoZzd67C6DW9WGd%2bBXiXp6w%3d%3d&pageName=AlbumViewFromEmails&locale=en_US&locale=en_US

looking at Sea Grape http://pak06.pictures.aol.com/NASApp/ygp/GuestLogin?event=DirectView&shareInfo=esv4e%2b9w77kboIs2Be4jSN3Gpa8pfblSoZzd67C6DW9WGd%2bBXiXp6w%3d%3d&pageName=AlbumViewFromEmails&locale=en_US&locale=en_US

others

You are very welcome. Check out these links. There are photos of the price lists as well. Chairs cost $10 US a piece and include a free drink such as soda or water. Umbrellas are an additional $5. You won't miss where to rent them. There will be stacks of chairs there and a guy eagerly accepting your money. I enjoyed Courtyard. It was less crowded than Sea Grape and given that both are essentially the same I would go there again. The only downside was they were not renting jet skis the day we were there and had to walk over to Sea Grape. I know, the horror of it, actually having to walk. :D I say go for Courtyard, rent a couple chairs, bring your lunch and you will have an unforgettable day.

I found a soft-sided collapsible cooler at Target or Walmart. We ended up not using it on the cruise, but have used it many other times (while vacationing). It was easy to pack, and would work great for taking snacks with you when you leave the ship.

We were there in January, and the water was really warm. The weather was also wonderful...nice and warm, but no humidity. Very, very nice.

I don't know what to suggest for transportation. We did an island tour (offered by the ship), so we could be one of the first off the ship. It seems like I've read that cabs are $10 pp each way. I could be wrong on that though...but I seem to remember it wasn't cheap to rent a cab.

We're going to spend a week there in January...I am soooo excited!

Have a great time! :)

Thank you for your post. I was a wee bit worried about the temperature, I was hoping it would be warm enough to swim!!!

I will go to Target and check out their insulated bags, good idea!!

Just Five more months and "away-we-go"!!!!:D

Thank you for your post. I was a wee bit worried about the temperature, I was hoping it would be warm enough to swim!!!

I will go to Target and check out their insulated bags, good idea!!

Just Five more months and "away-we-go"!!!!:D

I share your excitement!!! We just loved Grand Cayman.....

I was also worried about the water temp...especially after we found the water in Cozumel to be a bit nippy, but the water in GC was like bath water...so, so nice! The bags are nice to take along because they smoosh down nicely...which makes them easy to pack away in your suitcase!

If you eat at a restaurant, make sure and check your bill before paying it. Most of the restaurants (and bars) automatically add the gratuity to the bill. We also had this happen at a restaurant in Miami (at the Bayside shopping area).

I am enjoying all the info I've gleaned from this thread. I was wondering if The Wog or anyone could tell me the cost of renting Jet Skis? That sounds like a lot of fun!

Thanks!

Try this. The below site has some really great pictures. They took a picture of the Red Sail sign (which has the prices). I think it said the waverunners were $65 per 1/2 hour. It's picture #99 if this doesn't work. :)

• 2 weeks later...
My bf and I just went to Sea Grape beach in Grand Cayman. We got there around 11, hardly anyone there. Found a little area on the beach by ourselves and put our towels down. The beach was absolutely beautiful! Around 12 or so, some of the crowds started to roll in, but honestly the place did not get crowded like some of these posts make it sound. (We were there Sept 6). You can rent chairs, and over by the chairs it is a little more crowded but still didn't seem too bad. Went up to the bar for a few drinks and something to eat (good conch fritters!) and then just laid back in the sun. Recommend it if you're looking for something cheap to do, and not overly crowded! They also have snorkel equipment to rent, if you are looking to snorkel - we didn't do that, but actually saw some cool fish just by wading in the water!

Hi,

What is the easiest way to get to Sea Grape beach? Did you take a taxi?

Thanks,

Janette

Archived