NCL vs Royal

I have been on both lines in the last year or so. Though I prefer Royal over NCL, they both have some good things going on! Overall I would say the food in the Windjammer is far superior to that of NCL's buffet. As far as the dining room, I really enjoyed the food on Navigator last spring, but I also enjoyed the food on the NCL Star. The Star had really big portions and for the most part kept their offerings very simple. The Deserts and sweets on NCL are not good at all. I found RCCL to have good food and much better dining room service. The deserts and sweets were far superior than NCL. We did not eat at any specialty restaurants on RCCL, but we did enjoy some of them on NCL.

Overall I prefer the RCCL experience and I found the entertainment to be far superior on RCCL. Lastly, the rooms on RCCL seem to be much larger and better laid out for comfort. I would go on NCL again, but if I had a choice at the same or similar price, I would almost always pick RCCL over NCL.

Sailed NCL for the first time in September 2014. I found NCL to be very comparable to RCI. I thought their Windjammer was about the same as RCI, but DH was not impressed. I think RCI gets the nod for the main dining room, as I found NCL's selections a bit boring. Food was okay, though. Because the MDR food was boring, we did their specialty restaurants more than we had planned. Service was good, and food was comparable if not better than Chops or Portofino. Entertainment was also comparable to RCI. Overall, I would take RCI over NCL, but if price was an issue, I would consider NCL.

Sailed NCL for the first time in September 2014. I found NCL to be very comparable to RCI. I thought their Windjammer was about the same as RCI, but DH was not impressed. I think RCI gets the nod for the main dining room, as I found NCL's selections a bit boring. Food was okay, though. Because the MDR food was boring, we did their specialty restaurants more than we had planned. Service was good, and food was comparable if not better than Chops or Portofino. Entertainment was also comparable to RCI. Overall, I would take RCI over NCL, but if price was an issue, I would consider NCL.

That's something I should have pointed out in my first post. When I said food was lacking, I was referring to the food in the main dining rooms. We found it to be boring and not very good, forcing us to go to specialty restaurants, which we rarely go to on RCI. So, if you're into specialty restaurants, you'll probably find the food very comparable, but if you like eating in the main dining rooms, you might prefer RCI. That's just my opinion, YMMV.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

OP, I appreciate your question, as I have not yet cruised either of these lines. Replies have been useful, so thank you to those folk, too.

Keep in mind different ships within the same cruise line can vary greatly.

Besides the wonderful discussion boards in the CC forums, make sure to check the main Cruise Critic reviews. I have found it better to stick with the method of finding itineraries, pricing, and overall ship design/features that are of interest first.

Then, I go into the main Cruise Critic reviews for each ship. There's the review given by CC, and member reviews. Sometimes you even find cabin reviews for areas you may be thinking about booking.

Next I do the forum search for that specific search.

Always make sure you've checked if the ship has been refurbished and what date b/c some reviews may not be applicable.

And, if possible, try searching if there's been a change in the kitchen, especially head chef. It can make a huge difference in your cruise if you enjoy dining experiences.

Edited by cruiseJMO

The suite cabins on NCL are MUCH, MUCH better than RCI.

Beyond that, make sure to compare the same class and age of ship to each other; I found the Independence to be as wonderful as NCL's Pearl or Jewel. Getaway would rank with Allure for me (and I actually preferred Getaway because we had an H6, versus a balcony on Allure).

We're on RCI Radiance class next (Grand suite for the 3 of us to celebrate with an Alaskan cruise), and then I go on Freedom of the Seas for the annual JoCo cruise in a balcony.

As for dining, I find RCI's hours of operation to be a bit bizarre; I preferred NCL for sushi almost every night (Godzilla roll NOM NOM NOM).

Right now, NCL is going through some leadership upheaval, so we're steering clear while they get their act together and their pricing fixed. A 5K cruise is pricing out at 7.5K currently, so I'm shaking my head and laughing at NCL... and booking elsewhere.

I prefer freestyle over traditional. I typically eat in the MDR no specialty restaurants but the experience has varied depending on what ship I'm on. My last NCL cruise has a superior MDR, seemed fresher then RCCL. But prior to that cruise the Royal MDR had better quality then the NCL cruise before. The service is better on Royal. But Royal sometimes serves the same food in the MDR and buffets at night, NCL does not. I prefer the buffet on NCL, more choices, variety, and stays open later. Royal probably has bigger staterooms but depending on which ship you sail normally NCL has a better more spacious shower in the bathroom. Stateroom attendant was better on Royal really kept us informed but NCLs attendant was good as well. NCL had better enterainment based on my experience so far. Every ship will vary on everything it's hard to compare based off ages and different classes of ships and staff. You'll have to just try them both to see which line suits your personality. I prefer NCL but I choose based off price, itinerary and port. But I'd sail NCL every time if I could, I miss it when I'm on the other ships. Some people do not like NCL and that's okay.

Edited by Siora7777

OP, I appreciate your question, as I have not yet cruised either of these lines. Replies have been useful, so thank you to those folk, too.

Keep in mind different ships within the same cruise line can vary greatly.

Besides the wonderful discussion boards in the CC forums, make sure to check the main Cruise Critic reviews. I have found it better to stick with the method of finding itineraries, pricing, and overall ship design/features that are of interest first.

Then, I go into the main Cruise Critic reviews for each ship. There's the review given by CC, and member reviews. Sometimes you even find cabin reviews for areas you may be thinking about booking.

Next I do the forum search for that specific search.

Always make sure you've checked if the ship has been refurbished and what date b/c some reviews may not be applicable.

And, if possible, try searching if there's been a change in the kitchen, especially head chef. It can make a huge difference in your cruise if you enjoy dining experiences.

This is very true. Ships vary as much across a fleet as they do between cruise lines, with respect to age, attitude of staff, design and itenarary. Do your homework and find out about the specific ship as well as the cruise line.

NCL has FreeStyle dining, though I call it FeeStyle dining. I don't care for it. My last cruise was just before one of their new mega - ships came out. The service was awful, I think, because they had taken all of the experienced waiters for the new ship, and left a bunch of newbies for waiters. One night we had shrimp and the guy acted like I was speaking greek when I asked him for cocktail sauce. He didn't know what it was!

The first 3 nights we asked to sit at a large table with others when we finally got into the dining room. All 3 nights we were seated at a group table, then the waiter would clear off all the other place settings and we ate alone.

The main dining room on NCL ships, at least the ones I've been on, are small compared to RCCL and if you want to go to the shows, you need to eat at peak times. They don't take reservations so you have to stand in line. Of course, the specialty, extra fee, venues do take reservations, and aren't usually as full so, if you like to pay again for your food, that's always an option. I think that's kind of the idea to force you into the pay restaurants.

I haven't tried DD yet on RCCL, but I'm afraid that I'm going to find that I don't like it either. I like eating at a fixed time each night in the same dining room, at the same table with the same waiter and the same group of people. Maybe that's just me.

I should make a disclaimer here, I suppose. The above is just my opinion based on the only 2 cruises I've done with NCL. These were several years ago. YMMV. If someone else loves NCL dining style, that's fine, to each their own, I mean no offense.

Edited by Hawaiifrank

When comparing these two, which is better for food, ships, entertainment and the intenerays, staterooms for size and price and Loyalty perks? What's Better freestyle or DD?

Loyalty perks on RCI blow away those on NCL. Food = same. Entertainment = same on the older ships of both fleets, but much better on RCI's newest ships than on NCL's newest ships. Staterooms = same. However, RCI wins in the standard balcony and junior suite categories. NCL, overall, wins in suites. However, I think the Crown Lofts on Oasis Class are better than anything on NCL. Freestyle = sucks.

From Webster's dictionary (or at least it should be):

Freestyle : Here's your pager. Your table will be ready in 30-45 minutes. Please enjoy a cocktail in one of our many lounges.

Having sailed and booked future cruises with both.

Entertainment on RCL is better than NCL, especially parades, street parties etc..

Freestyle dining on NCL is better than RCL, although my time is close and the new dynamic dining is nearly the same as NCL.

Whilst windjammer has more choices than the garden cafe for buffet, for 24hr eats NCL Blue Lagoon or O'Sheehans is miles better than sorrentos pizza or the cafe.

Open deck space tends to be better on RCL although the new away class NCL ships have a 3/4 mile wrap-around waterfront promenade that beats even oasis class Boardwalk.

For solo travellers NCL is far better, same for those more active who like water slides, bowling, etc..

Loyalty scheme on NCL is also much better. From chocolates on pillows to chocolate and strawberries and wine on arrival through ship tours etc at Platinum which is achievable in about the same no. Of cruises as to get Emerald on Royal.

Edited by Single Cruiser

Just did first cruise on NCL Getaway in November after many cruises on RCCL. So based on ONE NCL cruise here are my thoughts:

Had a great cruise! Loved the ship, the food was on par with RCCL, the entertainment did lack a bit except the Legally Blonde show was very good.

The service was great. Someone else mentioned the 24 hour O'Sheehans. The food here was fantastic as was the pay for Sushi bar.

There were so many activities and the ship was just very high energy in our opinion. We loved it and will definitely go back! I loved also the outside restaurant and bars (they call it the waterfront), you really knew you were at sea. As much as I love the promenade would love to see this on a deck of RCCL. We also did the drink package and had fantastic bar service anywhere we went. The drink waiters were very present on the pool deck, way more so than my last couple of RCCL cruises. EVERY staff member we spoke with or dealt with seemed genuinely happy and helpful.

That being said the things I missed that RCCL has were: The promenade, The track (I am a walker and the NCL track was almost unwalkable after 9 or 10 am due to its location). We are also traditional dining room enthusiasts so I really thought I would miss this and the sentimental part of me did but we ate somewhere different everynight (non pay except the sushi and Cagney's -their version of Chops). After about the 3rd night I really didn't think about the fact that I didn't have the same waiters and table every night so I got used to it pretty quick.

I would say the rooms were comparable except the balcony itself on NCL seemed way smaller. Since it was just the 2 of us, wasn't an issue, just an observation. Also the hallways seemed narrower and I missed the artwork in the stairways that RCCL so famously displays.

Other than these things, they are way more similar than different and I will book my future cruises based price and Itinerary of both lines for whichever best meets our needs at the time. Not sure my RCCL loyalty perks, even as emerald, are enough to drive my decision anymore.

Hope this helps anyone that is sitting on the fence.

I am Diamond on Royal and just took my first NCL cruise. It was only a 4 night cruise and the itinerary and dates matched for a quick getaway on the West coast. We are inside cabin people and found them to be comparable. We are also stairs people and found the stairs on NCL to be narrow and short (like Carnival). Since all the people on NCL are really old and only take the elevator, the stairwells are open, so it wasn't a huge problem except when I was in my heals. The burgers on NCL (Dive In Cafe) are better and they had waffle cones, which DH really loved. They serve you your food in the buffet, so be prepared for it to be a more difficult process, but the food appears fresher and more edible. The entertainment is much better on Royal. The shows are better. The other acts are better too because the audience participates more. Most people didn't even show up on NCL and didn't laugh or clap. The audience was really a downer. However, if you are on a ship with the Culinary Studio, that was nice and the BB King night club was wonderful. NCL also gives you chocolate on your bed at night and daily towel animal (only every other day on Royal). NCL has fresh flowers everywhere, but the ship is kinda dark. Royal has a cleaner, open look with more art. This is probably our most important factor for always choosing Royal --> Since we are now Diamond, we get a FREE evening cocktail time for a few hours around dinner. It is in a nice bar and they serve hot appies. Really makes our cruises nicer. We will always choose Royal, but if we happen to find a NCL cruise that meets our needs, we would go on them again.

Oh, and I hate NCL open seating dining. It really hurt our experience on the NCL cruise. We like to have the same waiter every night. Your wait staff can really help make you have a really nice cruise!

I have been on 3 cruises with NCL in the past 4 years. My first cruise with RCI is coming this August. For the first time, I will be cruising with family members and friends. In the past, it has always been just my DH and I.

What I love about NCL is the freestyle dining. When we eat in a MDR, we are always asked if we want to share a table with others, or just a table for two. We like the more relaxed dress code, as well. My DH does not like to wear formal clothes, but he prefers the Dockers and collared shirts instead of a jacket and tie.

We also use the specialty restaurants a lot, and NCL has many different options to choose from. The specialty restaurants offered on the Liberty of the Sea seem to be limited to two.

I have always found the service on NCL to be top-notch. The crew members are friendly, courteous, and the cabins have always been spotless. No complaints.

I am looking forward to experiencing a cruise on RCI this summer, and while I have heard and read some wonderful things about this cruise line, there are already a few differences that have me concerned. The customer service at RCI for one thing, and the website. Both seem lacking at this point.

I will keep an open mind about RCI, and I will be able to be more objective once my cruise is over. We are going with friends who have only ever cruised on Carnival, so this should be interesting!

Having sailed both NCL and RCCL many times in the last 10 years, to make adequate comparisons you need to compare them TODAY, not 5 (or even 2) years ago.

NCL's MDR was just fine when we sailed 21 days on the Jade in April. Very extensive menu (up to 12 choices of mains every night, often 8-10 starter choices every night). Nothing earth-shattering in approach or preparation, but the variety more than made up for it.

Entertainment is a mixed bag, again, as someone said, ship dependent. You cannot compare, for example Dawn or Jade or Sun to Oasis or Allure...different approaches/venues/choices.

By the same token, you can't compare Breakaway/Getaway to Vision Class. Different game altogether.

We have, and will, sail both lines with no problem. Have 3 sailings booked on NCL and 2 on RCCL. Will enjoy them all.