Making most of first cruise-Freedom of Seas

First off a big thanks to the forum, there is so much information on here its amazing. I know some of my questions have been addressed elsewhere, but things seem to always be in flux so wanted to see most current thoughts.

My wife and I are in our late 20s and will be going on our first cruise on Freedom of Seas next week. We booked the cruise fairly last minute and don't know a ton about cruising (except what I've learned reading this forum last couple days), so wanted to get some thoughts from the forum.

1) We booked one of the small interior rooms, so we don't plan on spending too much time in there. Both of our professions involve constantly working with new folks, so for vacation we really are looking just to hang out together. So curious where are some of the best places on the ship to relax and find a little less crowded space (obviously there are thousands of people on board, so not expecting a deserted island).

2) We love outdoors/nature, where are the best places to watch sunrise/set or just watch the ocean go by?

3) Looking at the specialty dining options, Sabor looks awesome. Was curious about Chops, is it anything special? If its a chain or hotel type steak house will probably skip it, but if its a really nice place for example serving aged steaks/etc. would definitely be interested.

4) I wear a tie all day, would I be super out of place leaving them at home and wearing dress shirt and dark pants for formal nights knowing I may be somewhat under dressed?

5) Wife and I are pretty active and are much more interested in the flowrider/climbing wall/mini golf/etc compared to the shows/bars/clubs. Is it reasonable to expect we will get to spend a fair amount of time doing that stuff or is it so crowded that its kind of only worth it to wait in line once or whatever?

6) We are doing Western Carib trip. Have booked Cozumel snorkeling (not through cruise), Caymans stingray city/snorkel (cruise), Jamaica Red stripe beach (cruise). Curious if people had suggestions for enjoying labadee, ideally would love just sitting under a tree looking at blue water.

7) Anything not obvious/expected your would suggest to bring? We already have water shoes for rocky beaches and biodegradable sunscreen for mexico.

Thanks all!

Edited by smallwaves

Agree with Bob on #1 and #2.

We really enjoy Chops, as they have the best flavored and most tender pork belly (bacon) we have ever tasted!! You can almost hear your arteries harden!!:eek:

On Labadee (where you use your seapass for drinks and ship packages are honored), either walk or ride the free tram to the farthest beach to the right (Columbus cove) for a perfect spot under one of the many shade trees! The beach is sandy and the water is warm with a great view of the ship too!:cool:

Dress shirt and slacks are fine for any dining venue, as you will even see some in shorts!:( No tanks or sleeveless shirts though, except for the ladies.

Edited by SilkySal
spelling

1) We booked one of the small interior rooms, so we don't plan on spending too much time in there. Both of our professions involve constantly working with new folks, so for vacation we really are looking just to hang out together. So curious where are some of the best places on the ship to relax and find a little less crowded space (obviously there are thousands of people on board, so not expecting a deserted island).

I think the helipad is a nice, uncrowded area. IIRC, they have benches to sit on, but not loungers.

2) We love outdoors/nature, where are the best places to watch sunrise/set or just watch the ocean go by?

I again say the helipad or any exterior deck.

4) I wear a tie all day, would I be super out of place leaving them at home and wearing dress shirt and dark pants for formal nights knowing I may be somewhat under dressed?

Others on here will disagree, but I think you'll be fine (slightly underdressed, but the only penalty MIGHT be some 'looks' from fellow cruisers)

5) Wife and I are pretty active and are much more interested in the flowrider/climbing wall/mini golf/etc compared to the shows/bars/clubs. Is it reasonable to expect we will get to spend a fair amount of time doing that stuff or is it so crowded that its kind of only worth it to wait in line once or whatever?

When DS & I just did boogie board, there was ~5-10 minute wait between rides on the flow rider. DD spent an hour+ on the climbing wall one afternoon.

For #1 and #2, I'd look at the deck 4 outside promenade. If you want to be inside, check out the Viking Crown.

Great thanks, can you wear nice shorts/polo into places like the viking crown lounge or is it same dress code as the main dining room?

You've done a great job with planning, especially on short notice. Sometimes the lines/wait is longer than others for the activities you listed. In Labadee, I agree with taking the tram to the beach at the end of the island...after eating because of the distance from the food (lol). Labadee can be a day to laze around or have some fun with the water sports, whichever you choose. LOVE Labadee. Very pretty place.

There are a ton of activities on board that you can participate in ... The pool bar is a great way to meet people of all ages (whether you drink or not) ..... The sports courts always have competitions ( volleyball, dodgeball, etc) where you can group with some other folks to form a team, the trivia is always fun at the schooner bar.... There is always the sexiest man competition which will bring you fame and notoriety.... :)

Check for your ship's roll call and sign up for the meet and mingle if it is not too late.... another great way to meet folks....

Labadee has the zip line and jet skies - lots of fun there. Try not to wait to the last minute for the jet skies though.

Hope you have a great time! Of course even a slow day on a cruise ship is better than a good day at the office, right???? :rolleyes:

My husband always wears a sport coat and dress shirt on formal night with nice dress pants. Tie..nope :D Oh, dont forget bandaids or small first aid kit. It comes in handy when you need it and dont have to go search like I did :rolleyes: Also, if you have prescription glasses, bring an extra pair!! I had my lens FALL out over the side into the ocean! That was hard trying to read menus and such with one lense!! LOL

Have FUN!!

So curious where are some of the best places on the ship to relax and find a little less crowded space (obviously there are thousands of people on board, so not expecting a deserted island).

You might find that in the evening when everyone is at dinner the pool area totally empties out. I really enjoyed the two or three nights we skipped the dinning room and sat in the hot tub or pool side at night.

3) Looking at the specialty dining options, Sabor looks awesome. Was curious about Chops, is it anything special? If its a chain or hotel type steak house will probably skip it, but if its a really nice place for example serving aged steaks/etc. would definitely be interested.

I ate at Chops on The Liberty of the Seas last week. The aged steaks are very good. I had the NY strip and found it to be like butter with lots of flavor. The porterhouse seemed to not be as thick and thus was a little less tender. If you don't mind the expense ($35 cover charge + 20 bucks for an aged steak) I recommend going at least once.

Honestly I saw people going into the dining hall in shorts on formal nights. No one stopped them. I think as long as you look presentable they won't turn you away. I am sure ship to ship it varies. People will notice you are not dressed to the 9's though.. but who cares?

I find that crowds shift from place to place depending on the day. While it might get crowded there during the day in the sun you might find it starts thinning out mid day around lunch, or in the evening on a formal night (since people usually start getting ready early for that).

6) We are doing Western Carib trip. Have booked Cozumel snorkeling (not through cruise), Caymans stingray city/snorkel (cruise), Jamaica Red stripe beach (cruise). Curious if people had suggestions for enjoying labadee, ideally would love just sitting under a tree looking at blue water.

Labadee... here is my suggestion. Get a cabana. Do not hesitate and just get a cabana. That is the optimal way to relax in somewhat privacy and slightly away from the crowds on the beach. Reserve one early pre-cruise as there are only like 12 or so of them. Also... DO NOT under ANY circumstances go off behind the Artisan building to shop where the "native" booths are. STAY AWAY unless you like getting brutal treatment.

7) Anything not obvious/expected your would suggest to bring? We already have water shoes for rocky beaches and biodegradable sunscreen for mexico.

Insulated water bottle to re-fill at lunch/breakfast/etc and walk around with (pint size or so).

Also for #1, try the aft decks below the flow rider . It's a very relaxing view, you can get lost in the waves. For #3, you can't go wrong with chops, and whatever your waiter recommends will be delicious ! As far as what to wear at dinner, we've literally seen thousands of cruisers who wear "formal" jeans and t- shirts so your attire won't be a problem.i do the rock wall on every cruise...you will love it ! Please try the red pegs on the far right side of the wall... Good luck ! As for Labadee, we get a cabana , if you are able, its a great way to spend the day ! Enjoy your cruise, we are counting down for our Freedom cruise also !

I really liked lounging right behind the flow rider. Super quiet, and you can see the wake of the ship. Beautiful and relaxing. Stand up paddle boarding is nice in labadee. While I was on my board looking down into the crystal clear water, I gave the heads up to some close by swimmers that there was the largest jelly fish I have ever seen just ahead of them!

You must wear pants if you plan on going ice skating...I always make sure I throw a pair in my suitcase incase I decide to ice skate. I wouldn't want to wear one of my dinner pants and fall and rip them. You'll love the ship. We are getting ready to sail on Independence this weekend. :o)

First off a big thanks to the forum, there is so much information on here its amazing. I know some of my questions have been addressed elsewhere, but things seem to always be in flux so wanted to see most current thoughts.

My wife and I are in our late 20s and will be going on our first cruise on Freedom of Seas next week. We booked the cruise fairly last minute and don't know a ton about cruising (except what I've learned reading this forum last couple days), so wanted to get some thoughts from the forum.

Thanks all!

Are you cruising June 7th? Have attached your roll call below if you'd like to connect with your fellow cruisers!!;):cool:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2033139&page=11

If your sail date is farther out, just visit the roll calls under Freedom of the Seas to find your week!:rolleyes:

Congratulations on your first cruise, you picked a great ship.

I love Chops and have never had a bad meal there. They offer aged steaks for an upcharge, but I have not tried one.The regular steaks are very good. They will bring you as many appetizers sides and deserts as you want, they are great for sharing. The shrimp cocktail is impressively large. Giovanni's Table is very good Italian food too.

It is your vacation, enjoy it and dress however you wish. What you describe is fine for formal nights. The only reason I still dress up for one of the formal nights is for pictures.

No too crowded, you can book private time on the flowrider if you wish.

Labadee is a great relaxing beach day. For an added treat book a cabana as soon as you board the ship. It is a great way to pamper yourself. I had a hilltop the last time and it was wonderful. Down the ladder and right into good snorkeling, cold bottles of water in the cooler, drinks were brought whenever we wanted them (Labadoozie :)), upgraded buffet was tasty.

I always bring a highlighter to mark the compass for things I do not want to miss.

One of the things I enjoy is to watch a movie under the stars by the pool, a great way to relax after a fun-filled day.

Thanks all!

Have a great time