Capital Jazz Super Cruise 2015

My husband and I are booked on this cruise this year. We've cruised before on Carnival and RC, but this will be our first jazz cruise. We really don't know what to expect with this one. Has anyone here been on one of these in the past and if so, what can we look forward to that's unlike other cruises?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I already feel welcomed because you use the same font and color that I use on another forum... lol. I haven't gotten around to changing it here yet. Looking forward to meeting you as well :)

Welcome...please join our dedicated thread (thanks Miamichile77) and if you are attending the Capital Jazz Festival this year make a point to stop by the SuperCruise Information area and meet the Onboard Staff...your timing is perfect because the 2016 CJSC "X" opens for sale on Wednesday June 10th so you can start to make plans to go on your 2nd

The dedicated thread on this board will pick up with postings starting next week...also check the CJSC website (Contact Us) for updated information and read closely the newsletters you should be receiving

You are in for an experience of a lifetime and your previous "normal" cruises will in no way prepare you for your 1st full charter CJSC (most veterans will tell you once you have done one of these full charter music cruises, you will never go on a "normal" cruise again)...get plenty of sleep the week before leaving for San Juan...pace yourself and plan 30 minutes of downtime everyday...accept the fact that you will not be able to do all of everything so try to do alittle of everything....check out artists that you have never heard of ...plan to take off work for 1-2 days after returning home to catch up on your rest

This is not your "normal laid back, restful cruise" that you are use to...very different & deceptive pace....this will be our 6th straight CJSC

hattack,

Got a lineup yet?

Just curious to know if CJSC has gone the way of NOLA in terms of every type of musical artist under the sun, or if it's still rooted in what I call "straight-no-chaser" but my grandson calls "ole man" music (ya know Junko Onishi, Joshua Redman, McCoy Tyner, Freddie Hubbard, et.al)?

Quint Davis made the decision to keep the NO Jazz & Heritage Festival alive and solvent following Katrina in 2005, he was going to open it up to more mainstream and popular acts....local Jazz purist howled but they knew it was the right decision for New Orleans and brought the City much needed cash flow at the critical time when we needed it the most...there is still plenty of straight ahead Jazz Acts at the Festival and there is a school of thought that having the big name acts (Elton John etc) draws the huge crowds that in turn has the opportunity to hear the Jazz artists...besides, "us locals " know that the free French Quarter Festival (the week before Jazz Fest) is "our" Jazz Fest...also the Louis "Satchmo" Jazz Festival in August has great traditional New Orleans Jazz artists...Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue now close the Jazz Fest every year...the perfect act to honor the New Orleans Jazz past, present & future...I would be elated if Trombone Shorty would be on our 2016 SuperCruise (I include them on my post cruise survey every year)

There are very few if any $$$$$ successful major Jazz Festivals left in the World today with 100% straight ahead Jazz line ups...old school "brick & mortar" Jazz Clubs (especially in the industrial north) have closed or are closing and these full charter music cruises have replaced them

If you are asking about the 2016 CJSC "X" line up they normally start announcing the acts in December...of course before the 1st artists are announced in December the ship will be 90% sold out...the organizers of the CJSC have a "formula" and are very in tune with both the music scene and what appeals to their "loyal returning demographic base" (as demonstrated by repeat business) and to attract new & future SuperCruisers...much like a great New Orleans Gumbo, the organizers have the right "mix" of musical styles and then lagniappe (artists you would not expect to see on a Jazz Cruise) that makes every year better and better...I know what you mean about our children/grandchildren calling "our music" old man music...lol....the Underground Lounge/ Get Down Club artists performance onboard the CJSC, validates that the next generation honors and respects "old man music" ...IMHO the 2015 "CJSC9" line up is off the chain

That's exactly what I was looking for hattack. Thanks for the info. We are arriving in San Juan 2 days prior. I didn't get the group rate, but I did get my AAA rate which was about the same price. We're both taking off the Monday after we get back because we always do that after a vacation. I think I may have one extra day that I can use for Tuesday as well.

I was wondering how we would ever sleep with the extensive lineup that is listed on the supercruise website. Seems like a mid afternoon nap will be required.

crewsweeper - You can view the lineup here: http://www.capitaljazz.com/supercruise/talent.2015.php

Crewsweeper...final quick thought..if you were on CJSC "VIII" last year we were treated to "Liner Notes" ( connecting Straight Ahead. 50's & 60's Jazz album covers & artists to todays Hip Hop Culture (Nina Simone to Kanye West)........Chubb Rock "Old School Legendary Hip Hop" Lido Deck Party & the Dallas Black Dance Theatre.......all 3 were wildly successful and cruiser favorites because they "fit" in the Organizers formula (lagniappe)...in looking at my CJSC teeshirts from "IV to VIII", I noticed each cruise the base (ages 40 & up) were introduce to music out of our "comfort zone"....previous CJSC featured 3 Mo' Tenors (Opera) Step Afrika, Third World, Savion Glover (tap dancing to George Duke playing "Dukey Stick), Ursula Rucker (spoken word) etc

First timers may book for Patti LaBelle but go home raving about Avery Sunshine....the lagniappe for having such a wide breath of artists and styles are the legendary midnight allstar jam sessions where one is treated to our favorite straight ahead Jazz artists jamming with todays neo soul & hip hop artists...it "works" and you would never experience at home on land

Sunday Afternoon...:rolleyes:the running joke:rolleyes: is we can always spot the 1st time SuperCruisers...they do everything 24-7, full speed ahead, from Saturday afternoon when we board thru Monday night when they fall asleep during the show in the main showroom...they disappear from sight and resurface on Friday....most experience SuperCruisers will take a short nap everyday just before dressing for dinner..if they have visited the Port of Call before, they stay onboard after we dock, go to the spa, eat a nice casual early lunch on the Lido Deck, and then take a long (4-6 hour ) nap and wake up in time to watch sailing out of port and be "recharged" for the balance of the cruise

On a "normal" cruise, the ship usually becomes quiet around 10 pm...on the SuperCruise that's when the ship comes "alive" and you will have many options...full days at sea, are just that,, with some type of music activity going on all the time...a ""slow" night on the SuperCruise means you head back to your cabin at 0200 am

IMHO, the absolute best part of the SuperCruise are the new friends you will make (and will see every year)...everyone is there for the love of the music...the artists truly are very nice and very friendly and SuperCruisers respect that

We haven't been to any of these ports except San Juan so we'll be getting off the ship for all of them. The full speed ahead thing sounds like first timers to Las Vegas too. I'm accustomed to taking afternoon naps when I go there so I can do the clubs all night. I guess I'll treat it like that. Great advice. Thanks.

Sounds like you have a good plan...be aware that there is a dedicate Capital Jazz SuperCruise close circuit channel on the tv in your cabin...it will have a live feed from the late night concerts, a daily "live" early morning show that goes over the activities that are on the daily SuperCruise Edition of the Fun Times and will show "Behind the Music" (VH1) music shows featuring many of the artists that are performing on our cruise....the big screen on the Lido Deck is utilize in much the same manner...Capital Jazz Radio will be broadcasted from the ship....prior to our cruise, you should check out CJ Radio on. the internet, which will play a heavy rotation of all of the artists featured on the cruise with special emphasis on the lesser known Underground Lounge & Get Down Club artists

Because it is a private full charter our :)Fun Director :) and her staff plan all of the activities so our full days at sea, and nightly activities are nothing like you are use to on a normal cruise...often many of our favorite artists, not listed in the line up will be vacationing with their families as regular guests, so you never know who will appear onstage with a featured artist...most of the artists will be with us for the entire cruise, but enroute in Port a few will join us or leave us...would suggest you check out the CJSC website and look at the photos from all the past SuperCruises to gain a sense of all of what goes on during the 8 days/nights....the period between the end of the Capital Jazz Festival & leaving for San Juan for the SuperCruise will go by quickly...suggest you check the CJSC website frequently during this period to keep up with additions and changes

Thanks Hattack. Appreciate your history lesson, thoughts and comments.:)

I'll take a look at the 2016, and maybe 2017, once set. I'd love to hear some good music on board and as Chuck Niles used to say "Jazz in all its colors"!

Have a great CJSC 2015!:cool:

CJ Radio sounds like a must. I've been going to YouTube and listening to some of the artists that I'm not familiar with. Question for you or any other seasoned CJ cruisers... Will Carnival issue VIFP club points for this cruise? The people on their help desk don't seem to know and the terms & conditions page is unclear. Just curious to see if this will bump us up to gold status.

Edited by SundayAfternoon

Yes you will receive VIFP club points (like a normal cruise)....when the manifest is turned over to Carnival (about 30 days out), Carnival will assign you a booking number that Capital Jazz will email you and when you do the online check in it will ask you for your VIFP #.(just before leaving for San Juan double check that Carnival has your # in it's records)

However, because we are a private charter there are some differences...you cannot book shore excursions, steak house reservations, spa etc until Capital Jazz turns the manifest over to Carnival...the good news is that everyone receives their booking number on the same day, so no one has an advantage in booking popular excursions or onboard services...Capital Jazz will send you a newsletter that will list the concert schedule & theme nights by day along with your booking number so you can begin to plan your activities

There are very few, if any "perks" based upon the color of your VIFP card...no FTTF boarding priority, no special past guests receptions, no priority shore excursion tenders, priority spa times etc...there is however recognition (separate que) of your status at the guest services desk for platinum members ...you will find the overwhelming majority of SuperCruisers are very laid back and mellow (after all we are Smooth Jazz fans) and well mannered..95% of the topics that you read on the Carnival thread on "CC" don't apply to our cruise...as long as the water is smooth and the concerts are ontime, folks don't complain.....Capital Jazz builds into their contract with the Cruise Line that guest receive VIFP credit...there are several music private charters that don't include that perk

Good to know. Carnival doesn't give you much for loyalty points, but it's nice to rack them up anyway.

I wouldn't expect this crowd to be anything like other cruises I've been on. There will be people with a lot in common here. Music says a lot about person & jazz ain't rowdy music... lol. And I like kids and everything, but I'm looking forward to not seeing any on the ship.

I'll keep an eye on the newsletters. I almost missed getting in on the hotel rooms because I didn't read it until the block was sold out. We were able to grab rooms at the Sheraton through AAA though. It happened to be the same discount too so we really lucked out. Even those are gone now though. We've already decided to book on June 10th when the cruise X is open for booking even though we haven't been on one yet. We just have a feeling we'll love it and we want to have our pick of rooms this time.

With the announcement of NCL Getaway for CJSC "X", Capital Jazz has "really stepped up" it's game....fully berth (3rd -5 th person in certain cabins) it will hold 4200+ SuperCruisers (Liberty holds about 3200), so it will be the largest "music festival with soul" at sea....the Getaway is one of the first next generation mega class vessels to come online that were designed to be more condusive to full music charters....more (and smaller) concert venues & dining options....which means we will have more artists and music related activities

One would be wise to book soon before Early Bird Pricing expires....

• 3 weeks later...

Question? can you book through a Travel agent or must you go the the organizers?

also why such a short cancellation window? After 15 days you lose your deposit and any thing else you've paid. Is this normal? seems draconian for a cruise 16 months away.

Edited by camptalcott

• 3 months later...

This will be my 4th one, I have been on about 10 cruises all together. I am booked for next year too! - Once you go........You will know.....

1 bit of advice.......Veterans......tell the newbies....

PACE YOURSELF!!!!!

YOU WILL HEAR THAT ALLLLLLL WEEK LONG!

SEE YOU ON THE SHIP!

• 10 months later...

I've heard a nasty rumor that there will be reservations for some shows and no midnight jam sessions anymore. Please say it ain't so. Group of us were planning for 2017 on Supercruise. May have to go back to Smooth Jazz Cruise. Has anyone else heard this information?