Grand Cayman Liquor Store on Sundays

max a million

In search for Big Black Dick Rum, I contacted a liquor store in GC that carries it to see if they would be open on Sunday. Here is their reply:

I am so sorry but due to our liquor license we are not allowed to be open on Sundays. Looking at the ships schedules for November the only ship in is Disney Magic.

By law on this island all duty free has to be delivered to each ship. Unfortunately due to Disney’s policies they will not allow deliveries to their vessels. So even if you were arriving to Grand Cayman any other day of the week we still are unable to see you liquor.

Sorry we cannot be of any assistance to you but you will be able to purchase Duty Free in other locations that do not have the delivery law.

So because the liquor store is closed on Sundays, and duty free liquor is not allowed by Disney to be delivered, there is no way to purchase any liquor at this port? Right?

Edited by max a million

This doesn't answer your question specifically but I do know I would be very wary of ever buying duty free on Grand Cayman ever again because of the "delivery rules". We lost a very special bottle of single malt which never arrived at our cabin. Was it lost from the shore, or on the ship? We will never know. We would have been fine with the hassle of turning over duty free back on board to be held until the last night, at least we would know the bottle was on board but with this method you have no recourse after the ship has sailed to determine if the bottle ever made it on board.

I would certainly recommend buying elsewhere, although in your case this may not be so easy as I think your rum is not widely available.

Edited by c-leg5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

We just returned early November. Went to Royal Palms to enjoy Seven Mile beach. On the way back to port the court area near the port had stores that were open. Liquor stores closed. However one called Tortugas had the liquor I needed. Margarita vile was open. Some cigar shops open, others closed. Hardly anyone in port. Was rather nice.

Are you on a Disney ship? If so, DCL has no liquor carry-on rules, (unless that has changed recently), so if you are there and able to purchase the BBD rum, just buy it and leave. If they ask you if you are on a ship, just say no.

The issue with most mainstream cruise lines is that they do not allow liquor to be carried on board. Disney is one of the lines that does allow it (at least in the past, double check that it still applies), then go ahead and purchase it and carry it on.

Yes, I was on Disney Magic. i bought 2 bottles of BBD and they boxed and had to walk me to the port entrance. They held onto them until I was ready to leave the port. Then I went back to the store and easy walk to gate security. At the ship they gave me a slip to pick up my BBD on last day of cruise. Very easy process.

the prices are sky high. I think that the Tortuga shop at the pier is open any day that a ship is in and they deliver to the ship as you can't carry it away at the DF price. Look for the tall white guide book at the pier as they give an 11% discount that makes it one of the best islands to shop at. Everything else is quite expensive incl. food. The US $ is only worth 80c.

• 1 month later...
Yes, I was on Disney Magic. i bought 2 bottles of BBD and they boxed and had to walk me to the port entrance. They held onto them until I was ready to leave the port. Then I went back to the store and easy walk to gate security. At the ship they gave me a slip to pick up my BBD on last day of cruise. Very easy process.

Max a million, can you confirm/clarify which duty free store you were shopping at?