Reserving Car in St. Maarten

jdixon86

Coastal - reliable and reasonable; Avis - very reliable and a bit more expensive; Hertz - very reliable and most expensive.

Book as much in advance as possible to get the type of vehicle you want -- and show up as early as possible to pick it up, because very late-comers might be seen as no-shows and lose their reservation.

• 2 months later...

Per several confirming calls and emails from Yusuf Salikram on 8/18/2015, we had reserved a 2-door all terrain Jeep Wrangler with soft top that could be removed to make the Jeep "open air" for August 23rd. We were only going to use it for 4-5 hours since we arrived by cruise. When we got to the Divi Resort where the rental office was located, they told us they didn't have one and that we would have to take a small SUV instead. I had shopped around and the only reason I booked with Thrifty was because we wanted the open air jeep. I knew the small SUVs were less expensive, but was willing to pay a little more for the jeep we had reserved. Yusuf, the manager, was very rude, arguing over the phone and refused to give us a discount for his mistake. After wasting at least an hour of our precious time in SXM, he agreed to give us $5 off. Really? I would think Thrifty/Dollar businesses would realize that their reputation is worth much more than that. No customer service here! I want to warn cruisers and travelers to St. Maarten how poorly we were treated. DO NOT rent a vehicle from Dollar/Thrifty Car Rental!