ms Prinsendam in IJmuiden, The Netherlands

Ine

Thank you, Ine, a lovely ship!. But it also shows just how desolate the port of Ijmuiden is.

It is. That is why I donot understand HAL to change from Amsterdam to IJmuiden. Nothing realy interesting there , bad public transport connections etc. and people miss sailing through the locks.

It is. That is why I donot understand HAL to change from Amsterdam to IJmuiden. Nothing realy interesting there , bad public transport connections etc. and people miss sailing through the locks.

Undoubtedly a "financial decision".

We stayed overnight at Ijmuiden before our Prinsendam cruise. Very comfortable. Watched the Prinsendam dock in the morning. As we pack light, we walked to,the port from the hotel. I think we stayed at a Holiday Inn. Had a good dinner the night before at an Oriental,restaursant and a great buffet at the hotel for breakfast. We had to leave our rental car at the Amsterdam airport so drove to Ijmuiden, dropped off luggage, drove to Airport, left rental car, took bus back to port! Easy, peasy, as our 4 year old grandson would say. Of course we gave ourselves a lot of extra time! And slept in the day of embarcation.

I wasn't happy when I learned of having to go to Ijmuinden but it worked out just fine!

Thanks for the video -- my favorite ship is the Prinsendam and am excited over sailing on her again. Have booked the Aug 19th trip. But I need some help on where to stay in Amsterdam. Holiday Inn was mentioned and sounds good to me. But, is IJmuiden so far away from activities in Amsterdam. I will arrive on Aug 16th, so will be in Amsterdam for three days. Also is cab fare within reason if staying in an another area than IJmuiden. The only hotel I know of is the Golden Tulip, where I stayed many years ago in Den Haag. Would appreciate oh so much any ideas, suggestions ---

Marianne

We stayed overnight at Ijmuiden before our Prinsendam cruise. Very comfortable. Watched the Prinsendam dock in the morning. As we pack light, we walked to,the port from the hotel. I think we stayed at a Holiday Inn. Had a good dinner the night before at an Oriental,restaursant and a great buffet at the hotel for breakfast. We had to leave our rental car at the Amsterdam airport so drove to Ijmuiden, dropped off luggage, drove to Airport, left rental car, took bus back to port! Easy, peasy, as our 4 year old grandson would say. Of course we gave ourselves a lot of extra time! And slept in the day of embarcation.

I wasn't happy when I learned of having to go to Ijmuinden but it worked out just fine!

I think that worked for you, but you had time to use public transport without luggage and also no more jetlag.

Thanks for the video -- my favorite ship is the Prinsendam and am excited over sailing on her again. Have booked the Aug 19th trip. But I need some help on where to stay in Amsterdam. Holiday Inn was mentioned and sounds good to me. But, is IJmuiden so far away from activities in Amsterdam. I will arrive on Aug 16th, so will be in Amsterdam for three days. Also is cab fare within reason if staying in an another area than IJmuiden. The only hotel I know of is the Golden Tulip, where I stayed many years ago in Den Haag. Would appreciate oh so much any ideas, suggestions ---

Marianne

Of course there are a lot of hotels in Amsterdam. I think this section of cruise critics will help you: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

Use the search function and many hotels will come up.

If you need more information let me know.

Ijmuiden was the most depressing port ever.

It is an industrial port. It was not nearly as bad as I envisioned. And, it was an education to see how people live outside of Amsterdam and the more touristy cities. HAL did an excellent job making it a civilized experience. Most importantly, it's only a departure port. You didn't have to explore it. And, I thought the sailaway was interesting. We watched people on a beach that was sort of a sandbar. A seagull stayed on our neighbors rail. And, I enjoyed seeing Amsterdam lit up, in the distance. It's all in your perspective.

Marianne

We stayed at a GREAT hotel in the Hague. HAL put us there. But, unfortunately DH doesn't remember I think it had 2 initials....like DL??? NH??? Go to tripadvisor. We found a restaurant well off the beaten path. No tourists...decorated with old US movie stars and motown. We are from the D. They were so excited when I explained motown is where we live!!

I'm on a roll today...I better cut off the coffee. Why HAL changed ports has been explained ad nauseum(if that is the correct term.) Money. The bottom line. And, it is not a big deal. Things change in life. The food and service have changed on cruiselines. They must cut back, because people don't want fares to go up. I truly don't understand why people are making a big deal about a port, that is quite easy to get to. If one can afford a cruise, they can afford to get to the port. OK---I will get off the computer before someone accuses me of something....

We are booked at the Holiday Inn for a July 15th departure on the Prinsendam. I know I will be anxious about this until my wife and I get there and figure it out. We will be flying in two days before and staying in Rotterdam the first night on the SS Rotterdam as we sailed on her in 1989 and would like to see her again. We will then be taking the train back up to the airport and finding our way to the Holiday Inn. It will work. Our reservation to the Holiday Inn is prepaid and can not be cancelled.

Marianne

We took a trip from IJmuiden last August and the hardest planning part for us was lack of easy public transportation to the port. For a number of reasons, our best choice was the HAL transfer from the airport. On the ship, I heard that you can also purchase the HAL transfer leaving from a couple of hotels in Amsterdam. I don't know if this works for you.

Thank you all for responding. Every one was helpful. Now I'll start the search. This time I'm traveling alone altho I've done Europe before on my own. But that time the airlines took care of everything for me, my first trip ever to Europe. I'll definitely try the Cruise Critic topic. Also I've been thinking of the Holiday Inn, also a friend mentioned the Best Western.

I know about HAL's transfers but only if I stay at the Renaissance. It was overbooked when I ordered the cruise; also almost $400/day. A bit pricey -- I'd like to spend it on something else. I'm sure there are cabs in Amsterdam to get me to the port.

Will get to cracking --- and thanks again.

Marianne

Marianne,

You do not have to stay at the HAL hotel to book the transfer. You just show up at the hotel at the time they tell you and board the bus. For a solo, that seems the easiest to get to the port and would allow you to stay in Amsterdam and see some sights. And the transfer back to the airport at the end of the cruise also seems easiest and cost effective.

I usually like to use public transport or taxi, but from everything I have read on CC about this particular port, the HAL transfer seems the way to go.

Marianne,

You do not have to stay at the HAL hotel to book the transfer. You just show up at the hotel at the time they tell you and board the bus. For a solo, that seems the easiest to get to the port and would allow you to stay in Amsterdam and see some sights. And the transfer back to the airport at the end of the cruise also seems easiest and cost effective.

I usually like to use public transport or taxi, but from everything I have read on CC about this particular port, the HAL transfer seems the way to go.

Yes, please pay attention to this post. You do NOT have to stay at the Renaissance to take advantage of the HAL transfer. I know it seems too good to be true, but HAL did this to appease passengers who want to book their own hotel, and need to get to this new departure port. I was quite surprised that HAL did this, but pleased.

Yes, please pay attention to this post. You do NOT have to stay at the Renaissance to take advantage of the HAL transfer. I know it seems too good to be true, but HAL did this to appease passengers who want to book their own hotel, and need to get to this new departure port. I was quite surprised that HAL did this, but pleased.

Actually, as an FYI, this applies to other ports as well. London to Harwich offers pick up at Heathrow or at a bus station near Victoria, so one can stay at any hotel. Also in Rome. Both of these have ports far from the city center and the HAL transfer is a good alternative costwise for singles. Saves handling luggage alone on train etc. and cheaper than a taxi for one person. For families or couples, the math might work better to do a taxi or shuttle service, so do some research. Of course, one has to factor in a short local taxi fare from your hotel to the pickup hotel.

I was seriously considering the HAL shuttle but was informed by my TA that I'd have to stay at the Renaissance to use it. In the morning I'll give her a call and discuss this further. Sometimes I wonder if staying at the Renaissance would be an easier thing for me, in spite of the additional cost. Wonder if they are still overbooked. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Marianne

I was seriously considering the HAL shuttle but was informed by my TA that I'd have to stay at the Renaissance to use it. In the morning I'll give her a call and discuss this further. Sometimes I wonder if staying at the Renaissance would be an easier thing for me, in spite of the additional cost. Wonder if they are still overbooked. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Marianne

Rafinmd reported in his on-going "Live from ..." thread that he made his own plans when staying in Amsterdam, then made his way to the Renaissance to pick up the HAL transfer. So, it can be done.

Now, there may be no more transfer-only tickets due to the number of pre-cruise plus transfer-only people already booked, but it is something to look into.

Another idea, although not a very attractive one to me since you want to stay in the city, would be to make my way back to the airport, and book a HAL transfer from there.

Marianne

Last year I made an error in booking a ship departing from this remote port, it never occurred to me any mainstream cruiseline would depart from a remote location that had no public transportation. Initially I wasn't too concerned as we rarely book ship transfers or tours. I combed trip advisor, CC and tour books looking for a transfer company. I contacted the few possibilities and no one responded. I researched public transportation and confirmed there is none. My TA contacted Holland America and we were told the transfer was only available if we stayed at the Renaissance. We love the Marriott system but for Amsterdam we had booked a higher end historical hotel on a canal, the Pulitzer. Why should we have to change hotels to get a ride to this remote port. We kept calling and eventually got added to the transfer bus in both directions but the whole process left a bad taste in my mouth.

We talked to more than a few people who could not get on the transfer bus and had to travel from Amsterdam by taxi, the cost was Exhorbinant.

I don't think it is time or cost efficient to leave central Amsterdam to go to the airport to pick up a transfer. Amsterdam is a world class city with things to do before and after the cruise. Staying at an airport hotel to get the transfer diminishes your experience.

Marianne, keep calling your TA and HAL.

We have an interim transfer booked. We booked independently into the Renaissance. We sail on 15th July. On Friday we had an email from HAL advising us that the interim transfers will now depart from the Park Plaza Victoria Hotel, which is opposite Central Station.

it never occurred to me any mainstream cruiseline would depart from a remote location that had no public transportation.

Have you ever been to Whittier, AK? :D

I researched public transportation and confirmed there is none.

There is, but it's a bit cumbersome. Per the Amsterdam Cruise Port website, "The Felison Cruise Terminal can be reached with Connexxion busline 82 to 'IJmuiden aan Zee'. This bus departs from the 'Marnixstraat' in Amsterdam en stops, among others at Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station. From busstop 'Badweg' it's a 50 meter walk to the terminal." The cumbersome part: this 50 meter walk involves a couple of steps up and down a dyke.

Edited by Dutch Diver