ms Prinsendam in IJmuiden, The Netherlands

Ine

We always choose our own hotel- for whatever reason- location, historic, charm, on the canal, etc.. Sometimes it is the cruiseline sponsored hotel,but usually not. And no matter the *** level of the hotels where we've stayed, we have always been able to easily book a taxi to the ship terminal or the airport. We've done this in Amsterdam, Copenhagen, San Francisco, L.A., and are about to do it in Seattle. We decided not to waste our time retracing steps in order to get on a cruise line shuttle to anywhere. However, if it's right next door, or even in the same block, sure, we'll drag our luggage and take advantage of a shuttle. But really, it's not hard to manage independently.

Have you ever been to Whittier, AK? :D

There is, but it's a bit cumbersome. Per the Amsterdam Cruise Port website, "The Felison Cruise Terminal can be reached with Connexxion busline 82 to 'IJmuiden aan Zee'. This bus departs from the 'Marnixstraat' in Amsterdam en stops, among others at Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station. From busstop 'Badweg' it's a 50 meter walk to the terminal." The cumbersome part: this 50 meter walk involves a couple of steps up and down a dyke.

Yes I've been to Whittier several times and never had a problem with transportation. In addition to the train several private transfer companies make a market to and from Whittier at reasonable prices. The cruise ship shuttle bus is readily available from Anchorage downtown or the airport. No cruise ship sails from Anchorage, all cruises are either from Whittier or Seward.

Ijmuiden used to have a public ferry from Amsterdam, apparently discontinued before HAL signed to berth in this port. I believe 2014 was the first year of Imjuiden. They must have gotten this port dirt cheap as there are major access problems.

No one with luggage wants to schlep luggage on a public bus or up and down steps. When I researched the public bus last year there was a bus transfer involved as well.

The big problem with Ijmuiden is HAL wants to limit the shuttle to those paying the surcharge to stay in their hotel. Last year we were told we could not ride it because we had not booked the cruise line pre and post hotel package. This year Marianne was told she could not ride the cruise bus unless she stayed at the Rennaisance, however the hotel was oversold.

Edited by sammiedawg

We always choose our own hotel- for whatever reason- location, historic, charm, on the canal, etc.. Sometimes it is the cruiseline sponsored hotel,but usually not. And no matter the *** level of the hotels where we've stayed, we have always been able to easily book a taxi to the ship terminal or the airport. We've done this in Amsterdam, Copenhagen, San Francisco, L.A., and are about to do it in Seattle. We decided not to waste our time retracing steps in order to get on a cruise line shuttle to anywhere. However, if it's right next door, or even in the same block, sure, we'll drag our luggage and take advantage of a shuttle. But really, it's not hard to manage independently.

We also prefer independent travel, we book hotels, transfers and tours on our own. We sail Oceania frequently and so far we have always taken the air credit, we want to book our own. Ijmuiden is the only port we could not find independent transfers. We talked to a few people who had to taxi out there, I'm trying to remember what they paid. As I recall one couple said two hundred Euro one way.

Edited by sammiedawg

Yes I've been to Whittier several times and never had a problem with transportation. In addition to the train several private transfer companies make a market to and from Whittier at reasonable prices. The cruise ship shuttle bus is readily available from Anchorage downtown or the airport. No cruise ship sails from Anchorage, all cruises are either from Whittier or Seward.

Ijmuiden used to have a public ferry from Amsterdam, apparently discontinued before HAL signed to berth in this port. I believe 2014 was the first year of Imjuiden. They must have gotten this port dirt cheap as there are major access problems.

No one with luggage wants to schlep luggage on a public bus or up and down steps. When I researched the public bus last year there was a bus transfer involved as well.

The big problem with Ijmuiden is HAL wants to limit the shuttle to those paying the surcharge to stay in their hotel. Last year we were told we could not ride it because we had not booked the cruise line pre and post hotel package. This year Marianne was told she could not ride the cruise bus unless she stayed at the Rennaisance, however the hotel was oversold.

From my experience, when the Rennaisance is overbooked, they put you in another hotel. In our case, we were in the Hague, which was a great experience. We have been to AMS a lot, so it worked well for us to be somewhere new. I am quite sure your estimate of the taxi to Imug. is wrong. It is really easy to do a search on this site to find posts about the costs to get there. That is not true about HAL limiting the shuttle to only those who use their hotels. It was mentioned here that hal does that in other cities as well. I think it's wonderful that people book what they want. We should have that option. For single people and old people like us, we just can't be bothered. My mother's favorite saying was, it's only money!! You can get more!!

From my experience, when the Rennaisance is overbooked, they put you in another hotel. In our case, we were in the Hague, which was a great experience. We have been to AMS a lot, so it worked well for us to be somewhere new. I am quite sure your estimate of the taxi to Imug. is wrong. It is really easy to do a search on this site to find posts about the costs to get there. That is not true about HAL limiting the shuttle to only those who use their hotels. It was mentioned here that hal does that in other cities as well. I think it's wonderful that people book what they want. We should have that option. For single people and old people like us, we just can't be bothered. My mother's favorite saying was, it's only money!! You can get more!!

Last year and this year HAL told non Rennaissance passengers they could not get the shuttle from Central Amsterdam. Last year my TA and I were both told this. My TA made some calls to get us on the shuttle, she had to call her HAL sales rep. This year Marianne was told she had to stay at the Ren to get the shuttle but the Ren was overbooked. Last time she posted she was still making calls.

I'm fairly sure my memory is correct that another couple paid about two hundred euro to get from central Amsterdam to the port. The story they told was the taxi driver did not want to go to Imjuiden because he would be tied up almost two hours and would not be able to get a return customer. This port is on the road to nowhere. The couple had to negotiate for this ride.

The good news was once our TA got us on the HAL shuttle the price was reasonable.

Last year and this year HAL told non Rennaissance passengers they could not get the shuttle from Central Amsterdam. Last year my TA and I were both told this. My TA made some calls to get us on the shuttle, she had to call her HAL sales rep. This year Marianne was told she had to stay at the Ren to get the shuttle but the Ren was overbooked. Last time she posted she was still making calls.

I'm fairly sure my memory is correct that another couple paid about two hundred euro to get from central Amsterdam to the port. The story they told was the taxi driver did not want to go to Imjuiden because he would be tied up almost two hours and would not be able to get a return customer. This port is on the road to nowhere. The couple had to negotiate for this ride.

The good news was once our TA got us on the HAL shuttle the price was reasonable.

The problem with HAL's information is that it changes constantly. I don't think they know until 2 days before departure about the transfers and sometimes the hotel. We were put in some country village outside of AMS. The place had bikes...I thought we'd have to get on a bike to get to the nearest village. It actually sounded interesting and I got used to the idea after freaking out. Then, 2 days before our cruise....I was told we would be in The Hague. I can understand a taxi not wanting to go to Imj. because of the long ride back to the city. And, I can understand the frustration of people worrying how they are going to get to the port. It's too bad HAL can't get things straight with that, because it could work.

With haL, if you are going to leave from Imj, you better make sure you are one of the first to book, then you might be safe. Maybe. They do keep adding on hotel rooms and transfers, but it's frustrating to those who are in limbo.

Sorry I've not responded sooner, but I'm having trouble with my computer.

Anyway, yes I called my TA on Monday and discussed the situation, mostly the remoteness of the port to central Amsterdam. Cost of the Ren vs cost of cab fares. My TA checked and indicated now HAL had "one-day" stays with transfer. I needed three days. It was decided that since I'm not 20 years old anymore, and I don't have a husband now to help schlepp luggage, that if HAL has room at the Ren to book it for me. And voila! wouldn't you know, but there was room now for me and yes, I took it with transfers. I guess this is the best for me in this situation, because I know I would not be able to handle one suitcase with carryon, getting on and off public transportation. Yes, true -- it's only money, and it's just a matter of whether one wants to pay it to taxis or the hotel.

Anyway, the Marianne saga has come to an end and I truly appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. Thank you all so much. Maybe I'll chance to meet you along the way.

Marianne

Sorry I've not responded sooner, but I'm having trouble with my computer.

Anyway, yes I called my TA on Monday and discussed the situation, mostly the remoteness of the port to central Amsterdam. Cost of the Ren vs cost of cab fares. My TA checked and indicated now HAL had "one-day" stays with transfer. I needed three days. It was decided that since I'm not 20 years old anymore, and I don't have a husband now to help schlepp luggage, that if HAL has room at the Ren to book it for me. And voila! wouldn't you know, but there was room now for me and yes, I took it with transfers. I guess this is the best for me in this situation, because I know I would not be able to handle one suitcase with carryon, getting on and off public transportation. Yes, true -- it's only money, and it's just a matter of whether one wants to pay it to taxis or the hotel.

Anyway, the Marianne saga has come to an end and I truly appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. Thank you all so much. Maybe I'll chance to meet you along the way.

Marianne

I'm glad you have everything worked out. The Ren seemed very nice, enjoy Amsterdam.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I posted something similar on the Ports of Call forum, but since it is specific to HAL, thought I might reach those who've done this recently here:

I have disembarked in Amsterdam and Rotterdam before, but never Ijmuiden. I’ve always had extremely smooth disembarkations in Amsterdam and was wondering if this would be the same for Ijmuiden.

I'm considering a HAL cruise that disembarks at 7am on a Wednesday (after departing Edinburgh/Rosyth at 1am that morning).

Could those who have recently disembarked at Ijmuiden tell me about the disembarkation process?

Was the time you were allowed to disembark close to the time given in advance?

Any thing important I need to know to not be caught off guard?

As I read the posts above, I see the difficulty of arranging airport transfers; has anyone been successful at a reasonable rate?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

That is a shame if Hal no longer allows those who book their hotel independently in Amsterdam to utilize/pay for the HAL bus transfer to Ijmuiden. Last fall, we did exactly this, booked a small hotel literally steps away right around the corner from the Renaissance then walked over there the morning of our departure with our luggage and got the transfer bus. Our TA had confirmed the transfer when the cruise was booked. Easy, peasy. The Renaissance was WAY out of our budget!

We will keep this fact in mind if considering future Ijmuiden departures or arrivals, since public transport is pretty nonexistent. I remember it taking over an hour from central Amsterdam so expect a taxi would br very pricey unless you had several folks who could hire a car service and split it, which I saw some of when we were waiting to enter the terminal. Not surprising no public transport considering how the HAL dock is out in the middle of nowhere!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Glad it worked out for you. In Sept. We booked our own hotel and the front desk arranged for a taxi (van) to transport 6 of us from Amsterdam to the port. We got a great rate. I think $100 for 6 of us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That is a shame if Hal no longer allows those who book their hotel independently in Amsterdam to utilize/pay for the HAL bus transfer to Ijmuiden. Last fall, we did exactly this, booked a small hotel literally steps away right around the corner from the Renaissance then walked over there the morning of our departure with our luggage and got the transfer bus. Our TA had confirmed the transfer when the cruise was booked. Easy, peasy. The Renaissance was WAY out of our budget!

We will keep this fact in mind if considering future Ijmuiden departures or arrivals, since public transport is pretty nonexistent. I remember it taking over an hour from central Amsterdam so expect a taxi would br very pricey unless you had several folks who could hire a car service and split it, which I saw some of when we were waiting to enter the terminal. Not surprising no public transport considering how the HAL dock is out in the middle of nowhere!

HAL does allow you to do this. We are doing it next week. There is an interim transfer also now from the Plaza Hotel which is opposite Central Station, as well as the one from the Renaissance. You just have to book it.

Thanks for the video -- my favorite ship is the Prinsendam and am excited over sailing on her again. Have booked the Aug 19th trip. But I need some help on where to stay in Amsterdam. Holiday Inn was mentioned and sounds good to me. But, is IJmuiden so far away from activities in Amsterdam. I will arrive on Aug 16th, so will be in Amsterdam for three days. Also is cab fare within reason if staying in an another area than IJmuiden. The only hotel I know of is the Golden Tulip, where I stayed many years ago in Den Haag. Would appreciate oh so much any ideas, suggestions ---

Marianne

We always stay in a fabulous B&B, Tulipa, on the canal in Leidseplain. Quiet but around the corner from the Melkweg & all kinds of transport. Check it out on Trip Advisor or booking.com. Email me for more info: choren@ verizon.net

Edited by sofietucker

HAL does allow you to do this. We are doing it next week. There is an interim transfer also now from the Plaza Hotel which is opposite Central Station, as well as the one from the Renaissance. You just have to book it.

All correct: we have booked the transfer at the Ren for Sept but staying at a B&B (aka, non-HAL lodging). Other pax on our roll call staying at the Plaza and getting the transfer too. Someone was erroneously told by their TA that they'd have to go back to Schiphol to get the transfer! Crazy.

If anyone could share your disembarkation experience, I'd be grateful.

I'm considering a cruise that is scheduled to arrive at 7am. I don't know how long it will take to clear the ship and don't have many options for flights that day. I'm curious how early HAL's transfers depart at Ijmuiden for a 7am disembarkation. (I called HAL, but they could not provide details, only to say the first transfer might be as late as 8-8:30am, which is not in line with my past experiences). How long does it usually take the HAL transfers to reach the airport?

Any insight would be appreciated!

THANKS!