Mystery dinner on the Jewel

• 1 month later...

We did the Mystery Dinner and thoroughly enjoyed it. Keep in mind that the "actors" are crew members, the whole production is a little corny but a lot of fun.

The actors were the only ones dressed in themed clothes, the rest of us wore regular dinner attire.

The production started in a nearby bar, then moved to ( in our case) Chops. The food was good. While I am glad we did it, I don't feel the need to repeat.

Just got off Jewel Friday and did the MDT. Cast was mostly the main singers from the production shows Costumes were the same as our previous time on Navigator - kinda spoofy period gangsta garb. We went back to be with our group. who were first timers. Jewel did a much better job IMO. Our show started in the Safari club, then moved to Portofinos.

I did the mystery dinner on the Jewel in January. It was ok - something different to do but would not do it again. It was very disorganized. Example - I was at a table of at least 20 - no we were not a group, that is just how they seated us - and the table could ask 3 questions to the actors. REALLY - 20 people that did not know each other at a long table and we were supposed to coordinate 3 questions from the group! The actors did not tell the truth on the questions. Well how can you figure out "who done it" if they lie. Glad I did it once, but once was enough!

Is it a set menu or can you order from the entire Portofino menu? Really want to know if it's the same menu as the Portofino wine pairing menu.

Thanks

This is an example of a Mystery Dinner menu. It may not be your menu, but will give you an idea of how few choices you get:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39712848&postcount=7

Edited by clarea

Not only did they serve wine on Jewel but they let you order whatever bar drink you wanted (as part of the fee, not a drink package thing). Wife had martinis and I had G&Ts cuz I don't do wine.

Not only did they serve wine on Jewel but they let you order whatever bar drink you wanted (as part of the fee, not a drink package thing). Wife had martinis and I had G&Ts cuz I don't do wine.

Interesting, first time I've heard of cocktails being included with the Mystery Dinner.

Just got off the Jewel on Friday. We did the mystery dinner for the first time. It was a blast! As others have said, we met in the Safari Club initially where the story was kicked off. We then were led to Portofinos where we were assigned tables by team number. At various stages through dinner the story progressed until the end when you asked each suspect questions and made your decision on who dunnit. Was it campy and over the top? Absolutely as it should be for these things. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

A few things to note...

The experience takes close to 4 hours so don't attend if you don't want to take the time.

The dinner menu is a limited one so don't expect the complete Portofinos menu. The filet I had was very tasty however. No complaints.

Drinks were included with the experience. Wine flowed very freely. Not sure if there were other options or not as we're not wine drinkers ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you're most likely going to be sitting with strangers for the MDT there's a fun thing you can do to liven it all up...

I've actually done this and it was a LOT of fun...

When you first sit down, before the cast comes back in to the dinner venue...

Tell your table mates that you were singled out by the cast to tell your dinner mates that there is a 'ringer' at the table. This 'ringer' has been coached by one of the cast to help throw the table off of picking the right dastardly person.

Of course, that's all bogus but your table mates don't know that.

"just because a thing didn't necessarily happen doesn't mean it ain't really true". John Steinbeck.