Has the order in which you've taken your cruises affected your experience?

Our first cruise was Enchantment. Small ship but it made us fall in love with cruising. We then went to Adventure, which was bigger and we enjoyed more. And then came the Allure and we were ecstatic. There were no bigger ships after that, so we went the other way; we sailed the Freedom and it was enjoyable (not as enjoyable as the Allure for us, but not bad either). After that we sailed the Navigator and we really started feeling like we were missing something by then. It's like we hit a peak with the Oasis class. Sometimes I wish we would've sailed more of the smaller ships before Allure; maybe we would have appreciated them more.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

When I started cruising with my new wife she was afraid of a smaller ship so we went right to the top on Allure. We then did 2 more cruises one on Jewel and one on Serenade then went to Liberty. We actually like the Allure and Radiance classes better then the Freedom class. The Liberty seemed that she was missing something. The Radiance class ships don't have all the bells and whistles but the ships are little bit more romantic. So we are going back to another smaller ship next year for that reason.:D

We started on Nordic Empress and moved to Radiance Class, Voyager class and up. We aren't sure if we could go any lower than Voyager class. We just like the added space from that class and up. Although I will add there is no right or wrong cruise. What's to complain about your on vacation and sailing!!!

Our first Royal was Nordic Empress. Wasn't impressed and never went back to Royal until Mariner. Pretty much all Royal ever since. Probably like Oasis the best. Love, love, love the beach pool

We have just completed our first cruise on Splendour of the Seas.I am planning to write a review.For a port intensive cruise it was great but we do not have anything else to compare it to.I loved the ship and being close to the sea. Going on Anthem in October may find a slight difference:D

We started out with the small ships. Is 23,000 tons small enough for you? Then moved up in size to the monsters.

We really prefer a ship that takes about 1200 passengers, but that is not always possible. We don't need all the bells and whistles as we are getting older.

Some ships are just laid out better than others and some lines just handle large numbers of people better.

Yes, the order did affect my experience. The very first cruise we took was a 100 passenger Windjammer Barefoot cruise. The ship was very small, had sails and had the look of a pirate ship. There was only one place to eat and drink on the ship, and only a few food choices. The cabin was so small that all that was in there was a full size bunk, a porthole, a few shelves, and a bathroom so tiny that there was no separate shower (the whole bathroom was the shower, and everything got wet). There was no tv, no phone, and it was before there was internet. But we went to wonderful islands and the whole cruise was extremely relaxing. The next cruise I went on was on Voyager of the Seas which, after my first cruise, seemed like the largest, most luxurious cruise ever. While I thoroughly enjoyed my first cruise while I was there, after going on Voyager and other big ships, I don't know if I'd ever go back to something so small or lacking amenities.

Edited by katsmom1

I don't know that the order has to do with my enjoyment, but we sail with the kids and for now I will not pick a ship without an H2O Zone. It is a must. Ship pools are so deep for (short) newer swimmers. The H2O zone is a perfect for swimming and playing. When the are all 12+, then I can start to look at all the ships again!

I started on SS Norway and the vessel was a true old North Atlantic crosser. I Then went to Nordic Prince and I really didn't like the ship. Then I came back to cruising over a year ago on Brilliance, and I am about to call 9256 on Brilliance my new home way from home. I have the cabin booked on 4 cruises now scheduled! After sailing Liberty I really believe Radiance class is my sweet spot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I started cruising in the 1980's when ships were small. The more you cruise the less you compare. Each cruise will be memorable. I thought the Oasis class was nice but I still like the smaller ships. Like the person above, I like the Radiance class.

I started out on Explorer when it was brand new and then worked my way down to Radience, then Enchantment then Monarch. Monarch was the only ship that I wasn't really impressed with l. This past winter I sailed on Liberty and I was blown away! I loved it and I am now hooked on Independence this winter. I don't have any desire to go on the newer ships because I hate the idea of Dynamic dining.

We started off lots of Caribbean; close to home once we moved to Florida, cheap and short cruises and occasional 7 night. Size didn't matter but we love a good show and the larger ships offer the better entertainment. Then we ventured out more, Tampa and Port Canaveral. lol Then really far Alaska, when for all purposes, the ports really mattered to us. Then we went all British Isles, Mediterranean, back to the Med to concentrate on the Greek Isles and even Australia this year.

Watch out, we have our eye on the only continent I have left, Antarctica.

We won't however, allow a brand new ship regardless of which line, come into Port Everglades or Miami without trying it out if, it has a 4 night or shorter inaugural. We love them shiny and new and love to see what Royal's competition is offering.

For me, it isn't about the ships ... they are all wonderful ... it's about the people we connect with on-board. So I prefer either a smaller ship where you keep bumping into the same people through the cruise, or a cruise with an active roll call -- which tends to rule out the cruises under 7 days. Looking forward to my first TA next Spring, because those cruises always seem to have active roll calls, and this one is already shaping up to be very social.

Ahhh...memories. My first cruise was on a Russian cruise ship that went to Bermuda in the early 80's out of NYC. It was visiting the states for the summer in one of those cultural exchanges. No big deal that the shower was like an old motor home (you closed the bathroom door, which had a raised sill to keep the shower water in the bathroom...and showered.... and food was available at meals. Period. And I remember the confetti at the pier when she sailed, waving to all of the family members who saw us off.

Second cruise was a 25 passenger sailing ship from CT to Long Island, also in early 80s. Aaah, to be young again!

Then I cruised with my spouse and our 3 small children on Carnival's Celebration out of New Orleans in 1996, and our family was hooked. I remember being totally amazed at how huge she was, looming over us as we boarded (and we fit 5 in our cabin). I remember the flaming baked Alaska being carried around the dining room by singing waiters, and how friendly the staff was.

We moved on to Inspiration and Sensation 7-day cruises, and by the time we tried the new Triumph (2X) and Victory the ships felt very luxurious. Carnival's Legend and Pride (2X) were completely different experiences but we fell in love with the casual dining arrangements and the huge variety of international foods. Our kids were growing up on cruise ships, interspersed with the usual Disney vacations. They are still in touch with some of the people they met through the years (they're now young professionals who will be booking their own cruises...)

We slipped Celebrity (Mercury) and NCL (Sun) cruises to Alaska into the mix, to try different cruise lines. By this time we knew all of the Carnival Cruise Director jokes, speeches and schtick by heart (no, nothing was spontaneous from ship to ship and Cruise Director to Cruise Director). We decided to try Explorer (2X), Mariner, Navigator, Enchantment, and we renewed our vows on two of the cruises. Two years ago we cruised on Allure for burial of my husband's ashes at sea per his wishes. Last year we went back to NCL on Breakaway for a grad school graduation cruise. And I'll be taking my first solo cruise with RCL (Freedom) in a few weeks.

My kids are fans of the bigger ships. After cruising on ships of all sizes, I think I'm going to start going backwards from the big ships to the smaller ones. Partially a question of aging and not using all of the amenities anymore, and because the giant ships are just harder to get around now that I'm in my 60s and not my 30s. My TA has recommended that I try Holland, and I may try Celebrity again too. When I retire, I plan on that bucket list cruise to the Mediterranean.

I don't want to stop cruising -- I find it very relaxing and a great use of vacation dollars.

Edited by Truluv

Interesting thread, a great read! I've been cruising since 1982 (I'm 67) starting out with small ship on NCL, graduated to ss Norway, loved it. Even sailing single, never about short cruises, after my 7 day cruise, I took the Norway from England to Miami then did 14 days with Princess Panama Canal. I've always been about itinerary more than the ship. Twenty five cruises and maybe 6 of them were 7 day cruises. When I was working, I had 5 weeks vacation so I was able to take longer cruises.

I tried RCI in the 90s because their single pricing at the time was great. I did sail to the Caribbean one more time because Brilliance of the Seas was doing southern route (more days). I'm on the Vision this year, 25 days, Med and Transatlantic. I have no problem going on a smaller ship. Next year, I'm back to big with Princess Transatlantic + Baltic, ship doesn't matter but I prefer smaller.

I never say never, but the odds of me trying one of RCIs big ships slim, not interested. I was on Emerald Princess last Fall in England saw the Oasis and thought too big.

Edited by susancruzs