NCL Sun Cabin Location ?? Alaska Cruise

squeeky336

We cruised Northbound on the Sun in May 2013. I can highly recommend 1202, located on the bow of the ship just below the Observation Deck. This cabin is one of those "well-known secrets" that I first learned here on Cruise Critic. The balcony is very large and we had essentially the same view as the Observation Deck, one deck above us. On the other hand, this cabin would not be a good choice for anyone prone to motion sickness. Click here to learn more about this cabin and 1002, its mirror image.

We took the following photos from the balcony of 1202 during our Alaska cruise. The first two photos are of Glacier Bay (note the 12-story Princess ship in front of the glacier in the first photo) and the remaining three photos are from the vicinity of the Hubbard Glacier.

IMG_4252_zps4sppsozf.jpg

Leaving Glacier Bay

IMG_4338_zpsellb1etk.jpg

The Hubbard Glacier

IMG_4396_zpsxfewec58.jpg

The bow of the Sun

IMG_4397_zps8ni5kkae.jpg

Leaving the Hubbard Glacier

IMG_4430_zpsvxmdght3.jpg

The bow proper (on deck 7) is never open to guests. The observation deck and lounge (on deck 12?) are always open.[/quote

Does the observation deck provide an unobstructed view (i.e. no glass or plastic windows) where I can take photos?

Does the observation deck provide an unobstructed view (i.e. no glass or plastic windows) where I can take photos?

Yes, the Observation Deck is an open-air deck located in front of the Observation Lounge. My experience is that the only time it was not open was during inclement weather or after dark. It does tend to get very crowded during scenic cruising, however, so be prepared for some jostling at the rail.

The first 2 photos below were taken from the Observation Deck during my 2010 South America cruise around Cape Horn. The (slightly grainy) 3rd photo, taken with my husband's iPhone 3s, shows the Observation Deck and its railing. It was taken through the windows of the Observation Lounge during a storm off the west coast of Chile.

Looking west along the Beagle Channel

07BeagleChannel04_4x6_zpse24b4d97.jpg

One of the Glaciers in the Beagle Channel

07BeagleChannel11_zps412dafe4.jpg

Storm in the Pacific off the west coast of Chile

09ChileanFjords01_4x6_zps0d3fe319.jpg

Edited by polySeraph