Tips that have made your cruise memorable?

pzbz

Tell me what you have done that have enhanced your past cruise experiences?

Was it a special hideaway...dining experience..entertainment, enrichment program?

We will be on the Silhouette in August.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Was it a special hideaway...dining experience..entertainment, enrichment program?

We have had some really wonderful times arranging a dinner table with fellow CC people from our roll call. When the right people click, dinner can become the highlight of your day and you can make friendships that will remain long after the cruise :)

Each time we cruise we always focus on something we have never done before. Sometimes a dining venue, sometimes a really special excursion but a something we have never experienced.

These specials have included chefs table, wine pairing in Murano's, helicopter flights, having a birthday on board.....

Sometimes one of us will arrange a little special surprise for the other....examples of these in the past have been arranging a bar set up, flowers, buying a new pair of lightweight binoculars and presenting them as the ship begins to sail away..........

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I love this thread!

We do lots of planning as others have said - in particular for tours, that are a bit different - we have climbed volcanos, taken bike tour through Athens, water rafting in Croatia, and this year are visiting a Mozzarella farm, to see how it is made (wine tours are always a favourite too!) its even better if friends from our roll call join us, we have some wonderful memories spent with people we have met on here.

We like to dine in the speciality restaurants, and I surprised my husband one time by presenting him with a TAG watch during dinner in Muranos, which he has never forgotten.

I also like to take with me some special things to make myself feel upgraded in my cabin, like posh toiletries that I wouldnt usually spend money on, and some chocolates etc.

This year I am ridiculously excited to have my first ever drinks package, which is silly but although I know it wasnt exactly free, it will feel free when I am there enjoying my wine!

I would love to do Chefs table or dine in Luminae, but cannot see that happening as we still travel with kids and suite life is not available to us just yet!

Edited by louise1809

I bring along splits of champagne and on sea days, request breakfast in our room. We sit on the balcony, sipping mimosas and watch the sea go by.

Those small moments are GREAT!!!

Tell me what you have done that have enhanced your past cruise experiences? Was it a special hideaway...dining experience..entertainment, enrichment program? We will be on the Silhouette in August. Thank you for your suggestions!

It appears that you have a great cruise schedule upcoming. As I understand you will depart Aug 8, 2015, from Amsterdam and have stops at Le Havre/France, Guernsey/UK, Cobh/Ireland, Dunmore East/Waterford/Ireland, Holyhead/Wales/UK, Dun Laoghaire/Dublin/Ireland, Belfast/UK, Greenock/Glasgow/UK and Liverpool/UK before returning to the Dutch capital. While we have not yet been on the Silhouette, we have enjoyed, twice, the sister ship, the Solstice.

What do you most seek to enjoy, do, experience on this port-intensive trip? Have you done lots or very little in Europe? How much are history, architecture, shopping, food, culture, music, nature, wildlife, etc., of interest for you? Your personal priorities?? Are other family members traveling on this trip? Tell us more and we can offer better tips and ideas!!

Much might be about the ship, but, these various stops give you some great opportunities to do such places as Paris, Dublin, Scotland, Ireland, etc. Tough choices such as from Le Havre of doing Paris versus the Normandy D-Day landing site, etc. Will you have added time either before or after your cruise see and do more in amazing Amsterdam and nearby to there?

With an overnight stop nearby to Dublin that adds to your chance to do more in that amazing city. Northern Wales can be very fascinating. Below are a few of my visuals from visiting certain of these areas.

Look forward to sharing more as you smartly prepare and plan for this wonderful "adventure"?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 199,682 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

At Dublin’s Trinity College, here is a distinctive statute in the center of this campus founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth I.:

DublinTrinityStatute.jpg

For seven centuries, Dublin Castle was the symbol of English rule, including the round, 1226 Record Tower and the Chapel Royal at the right.:

DublinCastle.jpg

Here is a visual related to the Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog narrow-guage railroad in northern Wales. The fictional story of Thomas the Tank Train is based on this railroad.:

NWalesThomasEngine.jpg

On a nice Paris day, people are enjoying the Louvre courtyard, the Louvre's famed glass pyramid by architect IM Pei and in the background the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel built in 1805: :

LouvreGlaPryr.jpg

One of the best of the best highlights for Normandy is the WWII landing site at Omaha Beach. This site is beautifully maintained and very personally moving. France granted the United States a special, perpetual concession to the land occupied by the cemetery, free of any charge or any tax. This cemetery is managed by the American government, under Congressional acts providing yearly financial support. The cemetery is located on a bluff overlooking Omaha Beach and the English Channel. It covers 172 acres and contains the remains of 9,387 American military dead, most of whom were killed during the invasion of Normandy and ensuing military operations in World War II. Among the burials at the cemetery are three recipients of the Medal of Honor, including Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., son of President Theodore Roosevelt. After the creation of the cemetery, another son of President Roosevelt, Quentin, who had been killed in World War I, was exhumed and reburied next to his brother Theodore, Jr.:

WWIICemtCrosses.jpg

WWIICem2Beach.jpg

Thank you so much for your beautiful photos. I am from Guernsey and have traveled in Europe before. I suppose my question was really how to enhance the shipboard experience.

I have booked private excursions in each port for our group of friends we are traveling with. We are staying 3 extra days in Amsterdam and I have done my due diligence there!

So...what makes the onboard special...I have not been on this ship before so any tips would be appreciated!!!

I hate to say it, but having cruised with the beverage package as a perk really enhanced our experience. With the package we start the day with coffee at Cafe Al Bacio, have fresh squeezed OJ with breakfast, sometimes a nice crisp wine with lunch or a smoothie at Aqua Spa Cafe. We also like Cafe al Bacio for a late morning or early afternoon coffee or iced tea. I also like to have a mango smoothie on sea days at the pool. At sail away from every port I have a champagne and even though I usually only drink half I don't feel bad about imy "free" drink. We also tried the Martini Bar for the first time. I also like having San Pellegrino with dinner. The package has given us an incentive to try new drinks in new venues so that if we don't have a package we will know which experience is worth the cost. Without the package I usually drink free water and have wine with dinner with the occasional sail away champagne.

For us, using the luggage valet service, when available, has made the end of the cruise much smoother and more pleasant. I hope you have a super time!

Laura