Celebrity shuttle in Istanbul???

TheDunphys

Hi all, we'll be visiting Istanbul in July and I'm wondering if Celebrity have a shuttle between the port and the Grand Bazaar? If so how often does it run? I've been reading horror stories about Istanbul cab drivers so am hoping there's an easy alternative.

No shuttle when we were there last October. Taxis immediately in port area behind fenced off area which gave prices for particular destinations, we were going to the Blue Mosque. Taxi agreed price but then due to traffic conditions tried to up it as we were traveling. In the end we ended up with a fair deal. Coming back no Taxi driver would give us a fair price so we used the tram system, once you worked out how to use it very cheap and conveniant if I was you I would investigate this mode of transport as the road traffic situation in Istanbul was a nightmare.

We were recently there. Did not see a shuttle but we did use a cab to go elsewhere. When you exit the port, there will be taxis. Just ask the fare before you get in. Should be no more than 10 Euros, that's what guest relations told us..

I'm just back from a Celebrity cruise that included Istanbul. Correct - no shuttle, but the tram is very modern and is located right in front of where the cruise ships dock. This line will take to you to close to any of the major sights in the Old City. We took this tram along with a guide as part of a walking tour, so I'm sorry that I can't help you with specific details of how to purchase a ticket. (Perhaps the ports-of-call forum will be helpful there.)

Istanbul was amazing!

Sue

I'm just back from a Celebrity cruise that included Istanbul. Correct - no shuttle, but the tram is very modern and is located right in front of where the cruise ships dock. This line will take to you to close to any of the major sights in the Old City. We took this tram along with a guide as part of a walking tour, so I'm sorry that I can't help you with specific details of how to purchase a ticket. (Perhaps the ports-of-call forum will be helpful there.)

Istanbul was amazing!

Sue

Who did you book the walking tour with?

The tram is super easy and sails right past all the taxis and tour buses stuck in heavy traffic.

The only issue is that you need to have Turkish Lira for it. We went to a Starbucks right across the street, paid in euros and they gave us change in 'YTL'. Then just go to the kiosk in the middle of the street where the tracks are and buy your token.

There are signs in the Trams telling which monuments are at each stop, i.e. Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, etc. which makes it really simple. We did an overnight there and used the tram multiple times.

As stated, no shuttle. The tram is very modern and easy to use, as noted above, you do need to pay in advance with YTL. Cabs are everywhere. Depending on your physical condition, when we visit Istanbul we always walk from the ship to the Grand Bazaar and other Old Town sites It is a beautiful and very safe approximately 30 minute walk, depending on your gate. So you have these three options available. Enjoy

As stated, no shuttle. The tram is very modern and easy to use, as noted above, you do need to pay in advance with YTL. Cabs are everywhere. Depending on your physical condition, when we visit Istanbul we always walk from the ship to the Grand Bazaar and other Old Town sites It is a beautiful and very safe approximately 30 minute walk, depending on your gate. So you have these three options available. Enjoy

Just returned from Istanbul and agree that the tram is cheap and simple. Didn't try a taxi. The walk from the ship is long. Once you get to the other side of the bridge, all of the sites are walkable. I'd take the tram at least as far as the spice market (first stop on the other side of the bridge).

The tram is sounding great. We'll have my mother with us otherwise Dh and I would enjoy the walk. The tram sound convenient. Is it as easy coming back from the Grand Bazaar? Is there just one circuit the trams do or would we need to make sure we don't get on the wrong one? :)

The tram is sounding great. We'll have my mother with us otherwise Dh and I would enjoy the walk. The tram sound convenient. Is it as easy coming back from the Grand Bazaar? Is there just one circuit the trams do or would we need to make sure we don't get on the wrong one? :)

It is a long walk. I recommend the tram. Yes, you have to get on in the correct direction. And there is more than one circuit from the Grand Bazaar. Also the walk from the port terminal entrance to where your ship is docked to catch the tram might be some distance. Depends on how many ships. There is a shuttle that runs down the docks to the port entrance you can use if docked at the far end.

Here's a map of the tram system. When you dock it will be on the righthand side of the map. All major tourist destinations are on the left hand side.

http://www.istanbul-ulasim.com.tr/media/24900/ag_2200px_1546px-01.jpg

I would second what everyone says about the tram, really is the most convenient and doesn't get stuck in traffic! Depending on where you berth, you can get on at Findikli (hope I have that right) or Tophane, and it will take you directly to the bazaar. There should also be a money exchange booth in the port, if you want some lira to get you started. Each journey is 4 lira and you should be able to use notes in the ticket machines.

Where we berthed in Istanbul was nowhere near the tram.

Agree. When we were there in April, the exit from the ship near the tram was closed. It was a very long walk from the ship to the port exit and then you had to walk all the way back to catch the tram. There was supposed to be a van between the ship and the port exit, but we rarely saw it.

I would second what everyone says about the tram, really is the most convenient and doesn't get stuck in traffic! Depending on where you berth, you can get on at Findikli (hope I have that right) or Tophane, and it will take you directly to the bazaar. There should also be a money exchange booth in the port, if you want some lira to get you started. Each journey is 4 lira and you should be able to use notes in the ticket machines.

Tram is good, but you must get Lira as the banks won't exchange and that is all machines take. Also, when you come back there are a bunch of Hooka Bars when you can smoke and enjoy a Tea with locals. Very nice way to end day and then walk on to ship.

Where we berthed in Istanbul was nowhere near the tram.

Could you clarify? I know there is construction going on this year but from everything I'm reading, cruise ships are docking at the Salipazari terminal, and that is described as being a 10 min walk to the Tophane tram stop. I would consider that near. Is that not where you docked?

Is it that your ship was docked close the Karakoy end where the construction is, so you had to walk along the construction back up to Salipazari to exit? If that's the case, then yes, you'd be adding another 10 minutes or so and backtracking to the tram.

I'd be curious to know how many ships were in port when you were there, maybe that plays a part in it as well.

Edited by Scrappytraveller

Could you clarify? I know there is construction going on this year but from everything I'm reading, cruise ships are docking at the Salipazari terminal, and that is described as being a 10 min walk to the Tophane tram stop. I would consider that near. Is that not where you docked?

Is it that your ship was docked close the Karakoy end where the construction is, so you had to walk along the construction back up to Salipazari to exit? If that's the case, then yes, you'd be adding another 10 minutes or so and backtracking to the tram.

I'd be curious to know how many ships were in port when you were there, maybe that plays a part in it as well.

What you are describing is what the situation was last October. We had to walk about ten minutes back to the port exit which is what I did. There was a shuttle van for those who did not want to walk. There was a tram stop close to the port exit. It may have been a different stop than the old stop, I can't remember the name but that might be causing the confusion. You don't have to walk to the other stop but maybe some did not see the that option. I was confused at first because when I docked at Istanbul a few years earlier the port exit was right across from where the ship docked. No walk. They have made changes and I don't know what they intend to end up with.

Edited by Charles4515

Grab the tram to either the cemberlitas stop or beyazit stop, both have a few minutes walk to the bazaar. Riding back if you get off at eminonu you are outside the spice market. Check when you're there as the bazaar is mon to Saturday 9am to 7pm but they pack up around 6.30.

When we were there (a couple of weeks ago), we were 1 of 3 ships docked, and were the furthest to the east, so we had only a 5-6 min walk to the tram stop (Findilki I think?). If docked in a different berth, it would be a longer walk, or the Tophane stop would be the closest.

Sue

Edited by SandG

It is a long walk. I recommend the tram. Yes, you have to get on in the correct direction. And there is more than one circuit from the Grand Bazaar. Also the walk from the port terminal entrance to where your ship is docked to catch the tram might be some distance. Depends on how many ships. There is a shuttle that runs down the docks to the port entrance you can use if docked at the far end.

When we were in Istanbul May 2-3, the tram was a lifesaver. We had a private guide and driver, but the traffic was so jammed we would not have gotten back to the ship in the private car or a taxi. We also used it the second day because there were road and bridge closures due to a bike race. The tram is easy to use but which stop you take to and from the port will depend on your berth. We were docked at the berth closest the the bridge but were required to exit through the building farthest away at the other end of the port. I am convinced the distance was at least a mile (felt like several to my tired feet at the end of each day). I never saw a shuttle, would have been thrilled to use one. I think we used the Findikli tram stop, just a somewhat short distance to the right once we exited from the port.

When we were in Istanbul May 2-3, the tram was a lifesaver. We had a private guide and driver, but the traffic was so jammed we would not have gotten back to the ship in the private car or a taxi. We also used it the second day because there were road and bridge closures due to a bike race. The tram is easy to use but which stop you take to and from the port will depend on your berth. We were docked at the berth closest the the bridge but were required to exit through the building farthest away at the other end of the port. I am convinced the distance was at least a mile (felt like several to my tired feet at the end of each day). I never saw a shuttle, would have been thrilled to use one. I think we used the Findikli tram stop, just a somewhat short distance to the right once we exited from the port.

Yes, that was the same berth we were in, nearest the bridge and had to walk to the other end to exit. And the tram stop was there as you describe. Since I had toured Istanbul before I used the tram and did a DIY both days. That tour that did the major sites was mostly walking. The van only took us a few places. So I knew that DIY would be easy on the tram system. And it was. Truth is you don't really need a guide in Istanbul. We did do a evening tour with a guide using the tram and the subway. Went to Istiklal Street and Taksim Square. That was great. As for the shuttle along the dock, it was not advertised. It was a white minivan with a small sign. I just happened to notice it on my return the first day. Since it was not in the Daily I think a lot of people wouldn't know about it.

Edited by Charles4515