Just returned from Northbound on Millennium

Cassicruiser

We returned home last night from Alaska (via Hawaii - for a few days) and did the Northbound Vancouver to Seward cruise 22 - 29 May on Celebrity Millennium, with port stops at Ketchikan, Icy strait, Juneau, Skagway and of course Seward. We also had a fabulous day of viewing at Hubbard Glacier and Yakutat Bay.

We had spectacular weather and an absolutely wonderful time and did a variety of great excursions.

I won't be doing a trip report at this stage, so if anyone has any questions or would like feedback on anything relating to this cruise or ship, I'm happy to help..... I know that being early in the season there are some people very keen for up to date info.

We returned home last night from Alaska (via Hawaii - for a few days) and did the Northbound Vancouver to Seward cruise 22 - 29 May on Celebrity Millennium, with port stops at Ketchikan, Icy strait, Juneau, Skagway and of course Seward. We also had a fabulous day of viewing at Hubbard Glacier and Yakutat Bay.

We had spectacular weather and an absolutely wonderful time and did a variety of great excursions.

I won't be doing a trip report at this stage, so if anyone has any questions or would like feedback on anything relating to this cruise or ship, I'm happy to help..... I know that being early in the season there are some people very keen for up to date info.

Ship highlights: food, activities, etc.

Did you have classic drink package?

Did you eat lunch in any ports?

What did you do in Ketchikan?

Thank you we do southbound soon!

Cassicruiser, we were on the same cruise as you. Agreed - it was a great cruise, great ship and unbelievably awesome weather every day! The Hubbard Glacier morning was so beautiful it was surreal. I posted a full review on the Celebrity board but I will copy it here.

Ship highlights: food, activities, etc.

Did you have classic drink package?

Did you eat lunch in any ports?

What did you do in Ketchikan?

Thank you we do southbound soon!

Ship highlights - great shows every night, food in the dining room was excellent, the buffet not so much. The soft serve ice cream!

We didnt get a drinks package - would have been wasted on us as we are not big drinkers and we were off the ship all day on 4 port days. Some people had it and used it but we just bought the odd drink when we wanted. We were happy with the free lemonade and iced tea and I took coffee bags and used the hot water as I hate ship coffee.

We were too busy in port to eat - and as the ship is right in the centre of town we just jumped back on for a quick bite at lunchtime. Our tablemates ate at Tracys crab shack in Juneau and liked it and raved about the fish and chips in Icy Strait and the red dog saloon in Juneau (go early as it gets crowded).

In Ketchikan we did flightseeeing with Island wings (the only 3 hours on our whole cruise of fog and cloud so Misty Fjords was cancelled :( but we went in a different direction and it was still beautiful). Then we did a 2 hour tour of the area with Sourdough tours which we just picked up on the dock. It included Saxman village and Dolly's house and was very entertaining and informative. Then walked creek street and married mans trail before boarding.

Cassicruiser, we were on the same cruise as you. Agreed - it was a great cruise, great ship and unbelievably awesome weather every day! The Hubbard Glacier morning was so beautiful it was surreal. I posted a full review on the Celebrity board but I will copy it here.

Cant wait to read your review - just as soon as I finish unpacking and washing and grocery shopping - ugh. Glad you enjoyed the cruise as much as we did! We were so lucky to have such beautiful sunshine every day!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Can you tell us about your excursions please?:D

Sure thing!

Ketchikan as above...

Icy Strait - I did the ziprider, hubby chickened out, which was just as well as he has back issues and the landing jolted a lot! It was over in 90 seconds but such an adrenalin rush I was on a high for hours. You also get a good narrated 45 minute drive to the top. It was great fun and I'm glad I did it. Then we walked into Hoonah and did a whale watch with Misty Bay lodge which was great although the whales didnt cooperate much. We saw about 4 or 5 from a distance so was the only excursion that wasnt worth it for us (no fault of Misty Bay, just bad luck). We did a Kenai fjords cruise in Seward and saw lots of wildlife and a few whales so that made up for it.

In Juneau we walked around, had a stop in the red dog saloon, and then went out to Mendenhall Glacier which was lovely. As we did Northbound we loved it as we hadnt seen Hubbard yet, but I think on a southbound cruise it may be disappointing after Hubbard. But the visitor centre is interesting and the scenery beautiful. It's also a lovely place to walk. The bus there and back is $20 but on the dock we picked up a van for $35 return which included a tour of Juneau before dropping us at Mendenhall. We could stay as long as we liked and then get the next bus back. Then we went back to the ship for lunch, and wandered around the town for a few hours. Our table mates went up the Mt Roberts tram and said it was wonderful up there.

Skagway we did the White pass train up to Fraser and van back with Chilkoot charters which was great. Sat in the last carriage and was our on the back platform almost the whole time. Wandered around town (one main street so didnt take long) and went back to the ship for lunch. In the afternoon we did a helicopter ride with Temsco to a glacier (highlight of our trip!). It was fabulous! Very expensive but it was my husbands 50th birthday that day so we splurged - and also we only paid half for the Ketchikan flightseeing when Misty Fjords was closed so we justified it a kittle bit). This was the only thing we booked on the ship at the shore excursion desk. Oh and the zipline which we prebooked on the celebrity site.

Make sure to be out on deck for at least an hour or two for sailout of Skagway - spectacular scenery! We sat on the outside deck at the back of the oceanview cafe - it was stunning!

Hubbard Glacier was spectacular, but we were lucky with beautiful crystal clear weather and got up close.

Enjoy your cruise - Alaska is so beautiful!