Where is Capt. Oprey?

Bartsmom

He's on leave ;) he'll be back on QM2 before July..(my trip July 2nd) Er... not quite the Cunarder most of us are use too. I'd like a bit more enthusiasm for the Mary and Cunard's loyal guest's ..off to put my Tin hat on.;)

He's on leave ;) he'll be back on QM2 before July..(my trip July 2nd) Er... not quite the Cunarder most of us are use too. I'd like a bit more enthusiasm for the Mary and Cunard's loyal guest's ..off to put my Tin hat on.;)

Do tell as we've never been with him. What's the secret that often gets him in the promo shots?

I see that the FAQ on The Cunard website doesn't specify the dates when the Captains change any more. It just gives an either/or.

Do tell as we've never been with him. What's the secret that often gets him in the promo shots?

His socializing skills are a little less than his solo photo posing skills.;)

Edited by SEFlyer

His socializing skills are a little less than his solo photo posing skills.;)

Our observation, also. Seemed aloof, unfriendly, disinterested in conversing with passengers.

Maybe, his skills are purely navigational...

We quite like Captain Oprey. He was quite funny on our TA back in September when he was on stage with Anthony Inglis & the Symphony Orchestra. Had a good natter to him at the Black & White Ball too.

Edited by JollyJackTar52

I agree with the comments about poor social skills. Not what I expect of a Cunard captain and certainly not in the same league of the great Cunard captains I've sailed with...Ian McNaught at the top of the list...as well as (not in order) Paul Wright, Chris Wells, Bernard Warner, Christopher Rynd, Ron Warwick, Robin Woodall.

Robert Camby, who was staff captain on QM2, is now a P & O captain. He would be an ideal captain for QM2. I wish Cunard/Carnival would return him to QM2 and send Oprey elsewhere. I sat at a table Robert hosted for 19 nights (eastbound / Norway / westbound) a few years ago. He has the enthusiasm, communication skills, sense of humor, approachability, interest in the passengers, and appreciation for QM2 that would make him a great Cunard captain.

Thanks for the update. We have found Capt. Oprey to be very pleasant and cool in a crisis. Fire and nearly hurricane force winds kept him busy on his first cruise as Captain of the QM2 several years ago.

Thanks for the update. We have found Capt. Oprey to be very pleasant and cool in a crisis. Fire and nearly hurricane force winds kept him busy on his first cruise as Captain of the QM2 several years ago.

I agree totally, the captain's prime responsibility is the safety of the ship and all on board. There was a well known captain who was apparently very familiar with some of his passengers and we all should remember what happened to him.

Don't post here often but, with no disrespect to any of the other names mentioned, I have found Captain Oprey a discerning, intelligent and charming conversationalist with a very nice wife, who often travels with him. No one matches the peerless St Ian McNaught, of course, but look what Cunard did to him!

I really like Captain Kevin Oprey. He is a very gentle and unassuming man.

I have sailed with him on two world cruises and found to be very nice indeed. He is very ordinary and easy to talk too. His wife is lovely also. I will never forget the speech he made at the world cruise dinner in 2012. He told of his life long passion to go to sea and how had watched the big ships come in and out of Southampton as boy. He almost shed a tear as spoke of how proud he was to be the Master on QM2. He was very humbling to listen to. He also has a good sense of humour. He was very quick witted in Nagasaki when he was presented with a kite and the Japanese wanted him to go fly it. I often think he is a bit shy.

He is also a great Captain under pressure. We lost power on QM2 at least seven times on the world cruise. He was always in complete control and kept us all well informed of what was happening . Not so when we lost power on previous occasions and the 7 bells sounded at 1-0am and we were kept in the dark literally by the Commodore. So I have to say I like Captain Oprey a lot.

I also used to love Captain Nick Bate. His mid day announcements were classic! Such a funny man.

Ian McNaught I liked, and I do like Captain Christopher Wells as he is funny. There again he can be stand offish at times and will walk about and not speak to anyone.

I have done a word cruise under Captain Alistair Clark and he is likeable but but not very friendly and I have great difficulty in listening to his mid day announcement as he has a habit of trailing off at the end of a sentence and you can't tell what he has said.

I sailed on the QE maiden world cruise under the command of Captain Julian Burgess and he was very nice and very hands on around the decks clearing away glasses and checking out everything on a daily basis. He would join you for breakfast out on Lido deck.Have the healthy option , then go inside and join another table and have the cooked breakfast. He was a good guy.

Captain Paul Wright was often on QE2 he was fine to be around. A Good Captain.

So Lets hear it for Captain Oprey as he is a good Captain and a very nice man as well :)

Edited by maggiemou

I've not seen Kevin Oprey behave in that manner. He's always been courteous in the encounters I've observed and he's pretty patient with the souvenier signing sessions - which is probably a part of the captain's job that really sucks.

I have to agree with you BlueRiband, as I have sailed on World cruises with him. He often takes half of it and the Commodore will do the other half.

So I have spent a few months on the ship with him and never have I experienced anything but politeness from him. He is always pleasant and as I said his wife is also very nice.

Now if anyone wants to meet a rude unpleasant, unfriendly Captain with out social skills, try going on P&O with Captain Sarah Bretton. Now she IS not a sociable pleasant person in any shape or form. :) She doesn't even say hello if you pass her in a corridor and she never makes noon announcements. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid that I'm one of those who finds that Captain Oprey is far less interested in the "Third Side" of the ship than other Cunard Captains and Commodores that I've had the pleasure to sail with, when they were master.

Top of my list of favourites would be; Commodores Rynd and Warner, and Captains Wells & Wright. All four of them are real gentlemen, it seems to me. (Sadly I have only met Commodore Warwick since he retired, how I wish I'd sailed with him as master :) )

:)

Edited by pepperrn

I too was on Captain Opreys first voyage for Cunard and the QM2 and found him a very pleasant man. True, rather quieter and unassuming than others but with a quiet sense of humour. Wouldn't it be boring if all Captains were the same, and at the end of the day I would much rather he ( or she ) got me safely to my destination and back.

So I'm with you Maggiemou!