How has Carnival changed in the last 10 years?

crucero

DH & I will be sailing 1/2016 on the Carnival Liberty for our 15 year anniversary (of our marriage and cruising haha). We were on Paradise for our honeymoon in 2001, Conquest in 2005, & Elation in 2006. We took out 10 month old baby on that 2006 cruise and haven't been back since! I don't recommend that. I just wondered if there were any changes you could think of that would be helpful.

The one thing I am excited to try is the anytime dining. I've read positive and negative reviews of the process, but I'm excited to give it a try.

Thanks so much!

DH & I will be sailing 1/2016 on the Carnival Liberty for our 15 year anniversary (of our marriage and cruising haha). We were on Paradise for our honeymoon in 2001, Conquest in 2005, & Elation in 2006. We took out 10 month old baby on that 2006 cruise and haven't been back since! I don't recommend that. I just wondered if there were any changes you could think of that would be helpful.

The one thing I am excited to try is the anytime dining. I've read positive and negative reviews of the process, but I'm excited to give it a try.

Thanks so much!

My wife and I always get Anytime Dining and enjoy it. If you don't mind having to wait for an available table, just as you would at a land based restaurant - without reservations, that is - you will enjoy the flexibility it affords you.

Changes... let's see. No more Grand Midnight Buffet, a chocolate buffet on the last sea day instead. More eating venues on the ship. Scaled down musical production in the main theatre... canned music instead of live music, a digital screen instead of real stage props, shorter, but more varied shows (on most, but not all ships...yet. On some ships the muster drill now takes place in an inside lounge or theatre, instead of out under the life boats. New menus in the MDR (a few times since 10 years ago). Smoother and faster embarkation and debarkation. More comedians, lesser quality musical entertainers. Larger ships. Movies under the stars. Adults only area outside called "Serenity Deck." Wifi. Much faster internet. Quite a few things have changed, I suppose. Some would say it is for the better, some, for the worse. Like most things, it depends on the individual's point of view and attitude. There are things I wish hadn't changed, and things added that I like. It's still cruising though and the best vacation for the money out here, IMHO.

Happy cruising.

Carnival has changed quite bit in 10 years. They've grown up a bit but there good, neutral and bad changes.

These are my personal opinions.

Good Changes:

Far better entertainment. Comedy shows, guest performers are better than they were once were and there are fewer production shows that they would keep for years.

Food choices: A wider variety of food options. More steakhouses. Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana, BBQ on Dream Class, other specialty restaurants.

Adult Serenity Areas: Nice area to just relax in a quite location.

Neutral Changes:

Spa Balcony cabins. Cove balcony cabins, Hasbro Game show :(, new drink packages, no "formal" dress required, open seating as a dining option. Gratuities are put on your Sign and Sail instead of doing envelopes. Loyalty level is based on days on board rather than number of cruises.

Bad Changes:

Food quality in MDR has definitely decreased. More additional charge options on all ships. Drink prices and specialty restaurant prices have increased more than standard inflation. No more Captain's parties and only repeaters party if you are Platinum or above. (I have to admit I quit attending the VIFP parties because it was too many people.)

However: Carnival still offers a great cruise product and is still the best bang for the buck of all cruise lines.

Take care and enjoy your cruise,

Mike

Edited by MMastell

Carnival has changed quite bit in 10 years. They've grown up a bit but there good, neutral and bad changes.

Good Changes:

Far better entertainment. Comedy shows, guest performers are better than they were once were and there are fewer production shows that they would keep for years.

Food choices: A wider variety of food options. More steakhouses. Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana, BBQ on Dream Class, other specialty restaurants.

Neutral Changes:

Spa Balcony cabins. Cove balcony cabins, Hasbro Game show :(, new drink packages, no "formal" dress required, open seating as a dining option. Gratuities are put on your Sign and Sail instead of doing envelopes. Loyalty level is based on days on board rather than number of cruises.

Bad Changes:

Food quality in MDR has definitely decreased. More additional charge options on all ships. Drink prices and specialty restaurant prices have increased more than standard inflation. No more Captain's parties and only repeaters party if you are Platinum or above. (I have to admit I quit attending the VIFP parties because it was too many people.)

However: Carnival still offers a great cruise product and is still the best bang for the buck of all cruise lines.

Mike

Will agree comedy club is much better than just one flyon comedian. However other than that entertainment has gone downhill with playlist replacing some very good production shows

One recent change is that you can buy from the Fun shop before you cruise a 12 pack of water for $2.99 that will be delivered to your cabin at the time of your choice.

There is a new dining room menu.

There is a tasting bar that is open before dinner.

On the 1st night outside the gift shop they have a tasting of a few of the liquors that they sell.

You can purchase under the tour area of your cruise an item called FTTF (Faster to the Fun). This costs $60 per cabin, it gives you priority boarding you board right after diamond and platinum and well as priority on tenders and a special line at the guest services desk.

There is a new room service menu with some items being free and others have a small charge.

Good Changes:

Neutral Changes:

Bad Changes:

Mike

I pretty much agree with this!

Something that I love is the Sea Day Brunch! It is wonderful.

I do not care for the individual guitar players I've seen in the past year. They really weren't talented, IMHO, and had no business playing music for a living.

One recent change is that you can buy from the Fun shop before you cruise a 12 pack of water for $2.99 that will be delivered to your cabin at the time of your choice.

There is a new dining room menu.

There is a tasting bar that is open before dinner.

On the 1st night outside the gift shop they have a tasting of a few of the liquors that they sell.

You can purchase under the tour area of your cruise an item called FTTF (Faster to the Fun). This costs $60 per cabin, it gives you priority boarding you board right after diamond and platinum and well as priority on tenders and a special line at the guest services desk.

There is a new room service menu with some items being free and others have a small charge.

Some people were not getting water for $ 2.99

Some people were not getting water for $ 2.99

Are you referring to the tax? Tax is charged if you have the water delivered before being in International waters.

I am leaving from New York, and put for a 1st day at night delivery of water and I was charged $2.99

Are you referring to the tax? Tax is charged if you have the water delivered before being in International waters.

I am leaving from New York, and put for a 1st day at night delivery of water and I was charged $2.99

On the other thread some people said that Carnival reversed the charge and they were not getting their water at this price.

Will agree comedy club is much better than just one flyon comedian. However other than that entertainment has gone downhill with playlist replacing some very good production shows

Now that is very true, I think the entertainment has gone way downhill.

On the other thread some people said that Carnival reversed the charge and they were not getting their water at this price.

And that had all been cleared up....I posted that I spoke with a Fun Shop rep who told me the new price of $2.99 was a true price, not a misprint or error. She said they were getting many calls about the water and they were selling 12 pks like hotcakes.

I posted this info twice on the water thread and Michelle from CCL posted several times to clear up any confusion. She stated all reversed charges would be corrected and blamed Carnival software.

Please do not continue spreading false info as Carnival clearly stated all water orders placed at the new regular price of $2.99 per 12 pk would be honored. She apologized for the few who experienced the reverse glitch.

Thanks so much!

Of course there are changes, but they are still the Fun Ships! I don't recommend waiting 9-10 years between cruises, either. :)

It sounds like you aren't stuck in a rut like some are. Have fun, but I know you will.

Thank you all so much! All the positives far outweigh the negatives for me. In fact, I'm so excited to cruise again that I'm currently planning a family cruise for next summer. So far all I know is that we will go on one of the cruises that goes to Belize.

I can't wait to cruise!

And that had all been cleared up....I posted that I spoke with a Fun Shop rep who told me the new price of $2.99 was a true price, not a misprint or error. She said they were getting many calls about the water and they were selling 12 pks like hotcakes.

I posted this info twice on the water thread and Michelle from CCL posted several times to clear up any confusion. She stated all reversed charges would be corrected and blamed Carnival software.

Please do not continue spreading false info as Carnival clearly stated all water orders placed at the new regular price of $2.99 per 12 pk would be honored. She apologized for the few who experienced the reverse glitch.

Thanks for the correction but hardly think your last paragraph was necessary.