Mendenhall Glacier

twokids0204

how many in your party? If more than 3 it might be cheaper to rent a car for the day. Plus you have the flexibility to visit other locations...

Otherwise there are 2 shuttle companies that provide trips to/fromMendenhall for $20RT. Be mindful of the timing for the last bus; 6or 7pm.

Mighty Great Trips has the blue bus... look down the page for Blue Glacier Express. http://mightygreattrips.com/tours/

Can't remember which company has the white bus. Look thru some trip reports and you'll find it.

Another option is do a whale watch combo tour that goes to Mendenhall. If Mendenhall is the last stop and you find there isn't enough time to explore.... quit the tour there and take the shuttle back to town....

• do research the shuttle option
  • do avoid the last shuttles of the day that can be super busy.

Depends. If you just want to see the Glacier and a quick stop in the visitor center a tour may be best for you. If you want to hike a bit and need more time the shuttle is nice option.

It really depends on how much time you want to spend at the Glacier. Lots of options are available on the pier at the vendor booths.

I took the Mendenhall Express Shuttle for a 20 buck round trip. Easy to find, and schedule worked for the time I wanted at the glacier. I would not take an excursion that did not give you time to do the short hike to the waterfall. It is a very easy walk - not really a hike. But wooded with nice views along the way and then out on the sand/gravel bar for unobstructed views of the waterfall and the glacier. There are good views from the Visitors Center - it will cost you to enter the visitors center unless you have a National Park pass. The movie in the center is worth spending time seeing. As others have said on other threads, just don't plan to take the last shuttle scheduled or there may be too many people for one bus. I went early morning with a noon return so did not have to worry. Bus wasn't full at all going out and about half full heading back to town. Los of eagles to see on the way.

Was at Mendenhall last Monday. Did not booked any excursions and attempted to rent a car at the port (no luck). Paid $20/person for RT bus to Mendenhall. I believe the glacier only excursion available from cruise ships were around $45 for a 3 hour trip (2 hour at the glacier). Might be enough time for some but I was there for 2.5 hours without going to the visitor center. If I had rented a car I would have stopped at Glacier Garden as that looked interesting.

Was at Mendenhall last Monday. Did not booked any excursions and attempted to rent a car at the port (no luck). Paid $20/person for RT bus to Mendenhall. I believe the glacier only excursion available from cruise ships were around $45 for a 3 hour trip (2 hour at the glacier). Might be enough time for some but I was there for 2.5 hours without going to the visitor center. If I had rented a car I would have stopped at Glacier Garden as that looked interesting.

There probably would have been availability at the airport, for a car rental in Juneau. But likely you wouldn't have known about the express bus, or where to get it, to get there.

It is always strongly recommended to have all car reservations in place prior to your arrival. Otherwise you aren't likely to be successful with walk up availability.