Viking Lyonport

janetcbl

I can't speak for 2015, but in October 2012 we took the Portraits of Southern France and the Viking Neptune docked in the Rhone River by Quai Claude Bernard near the Pont de l'Universite. Great location!

I'm sure in 2012 I found the port location listed somewhere - but that year we sailed on the lovely "older" Neptune. Perhaps since then the newer ship's are too large to dock where the Neptune did - don't know for sure - just a thought since no docking location is listed.

Check for any threads from 2014 about Viking on the Rhone River- maybe someone from last year, or earlier this year, can give more up-dated info!

Just search the board and found this thread from 2014 - great info! Don't know about changes for 2015 or 2016 but does give a clue about docking location.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.phpt=2017837&highlight=rhone+river&page=2

Its possible the exact location is no longer listed in Viking's site since it might not be permanent yet but depends on what's available. The 2012 location was great - going n-s, we sent a full day + morning in Lyon. A few of us women walked over to a silk shop in the morning and we returned to find the guys playing the French version of Back Ball with the CD in a nice little area next to the ship - the bank there was lovely - nice path for jogging or walking. But larger newer ships mean changes all over!

Keep asking your question and you should hear from someone!! Also try looking on the Viking site for the on-line version of the booklet that's sent to passengers before the cried - think its somewhere in "my cruise" - that should list where to find the ship.

Hi, Peg! I couldn't get your link to take me to the site you had accessed. :(

But, when we did the Portraits of Southern France in April '14, we docked very close to the Confluence shopping mall, which was near the juncture of the Saone and the Rhone. We docked on the Saone side, so were at Quai Rambaud, a bit further from town than you would have been, Peg. We had about a 15 min. bus ride into town for our tour(s). We were on the Hermod, a new longship, so that could have been the reason for the docking site.

Becki

Becki ~ Thanks SO much for jumping in here to help the OP!!! Actually the link that didn't work was to your 2014 site!! I was on my tablet then and apparently the complete link address didn't copy! So thanks for the info!!

While it's understandable the ship has to dock further out because of size, it's a shame the passengers lose the being "right in town" feature!

Having taken this cruise in 2012, I thought Becki's CC review thread was great - here's the link again - hope it works this time (now I'm on my lap top!!!) Enjoy!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2017837&highlight=rhone+river