Is the suite life too rich?

Pet

The OP just needs to be honest. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Be open rather than engaging in games.

FWIW, we moved from a balcony on our first cruise to an OV for a North European cruise, and decided that we didn't miss it that much, and could save a lot of money, and have more cruises! It might be different in different places, of course.

I believe that there's a proverb about cutting your coat according to your cloth.

Stuart

Personally, while I can afford to get a suite, I still cannot justify the cost of one. I'd just rather spend the money on other aspects of my cruise/vacation. I've had a suite once on a different ship, and it was nice, but we would have been just as happy with a regular balcony room.

Of course, I'm also one of those people who views a hotel room as just a place to sleep, shower, and sh... er, do other things. :) So no need to spend a ton of money. Just enjoy what you can afford or whatever you want to spend.

My husband's mantra is "happy wife, happy life."

That being said, he is also very communicative with me regarding finances. We don't make any important decisions (including booking expensive travel) unless we can both enthusiastically agree. A cruise in a penthouse suite would not be fun for me if I knew my wonderful husband was uncomfortable with the cost.

Maybe it's a cultural difference (we're Americans) but being able to speak freely regarding our financial status has only brought us closer as a couple, and assures our goals are aligned. Make sure your wife a "stakeholder" in your financial planning and you'll both be happier for it.

Enjoy your trip!

My Disney addiction takes up most of our vacation time and money, so I'm very happy with a balcony room. Disney Vacation Club doesn't come cheap. Several years ago we met a couple from Idaho. We were on a Med. cruise. The husband had just returned from Afghanistan and they decided to splurge (most deservedly) on a suite on the Jade. They invited us up for a drink. The suite was lovely, but they weren't enjoying it like they thought they would. They felt isolated and away from most of the fun. Because they had spent so much money they felt obligated to use all the suite had to offer - and it offered a lot - except meeting and mingling with the "regular" people. I honestly felt a little sorry for them.

As for the OP - speaking as a wife, I find it a little sad that his wife is either so spoiled or oblivious to the problem, that he has to consult CC for solutions - or is it that he just wanted to brag a little about ALWAYS having to endure the "Suite Life"?

Why not book a great cabin on the Hump with the bigger

Balcony and have the Speciality Dining Package that allows you

to eat anywhere, As stated whilst I could choose a suite

I just don't feel the need to travel in suites,

Although the new Suite Life is very tempting,

although once bitten it could be difficult to return

to Steerage,:D:D:)

My wife was also spoiled from our booking suites on a HAL cruise in 2011, and on Summit last year. Now she expects that every cruise.

Having said that, if you are vigilant in tracking prices, you can frequently get a suite at a great price such as a suite I found on Constellation for an August round trip from Venice. I found a one day sale price where it was less than the cost of a balcony cabin posted a day earlier. For $1550pp, (7 days) it was a no-brainer.