Inn at the Market Seattle

jormot

We are looking at staying here for a couple days prior to our Alaskan cruise. Has anyone had experience with this hotel? What were your thoughts? The reviews are really good but still it seems to be at the edge of a sketchy area. Is it safe to walk around at night going back to the hotel? Are we better off staying elsewhere in the city?

I don't know that I'd call it "sketchy." Perfectly fine at 9 PM; at 2 AM maybe a different story, but do you plan to be wandering around at 2?

The Inn is right in the middle of the Pike Place Market, so lots of restaurants, bars, people around day and night. Two things to mention, however:

1. It's on a very steep hill; getting down to Pike Place or up to First Avenue is challenging to mobility-impaired folks.

2. The water-view (west facing) rooms are much more expensive (and worth it) compared to those facing First Avenue, which can be impacted by traffic and people noise.

Are you better off staying elsewhere in the city? Maybe, depends on your tastes and wallet. But the Inn is certainly in the first rank of hotels in the city.

Budget is not really an issue as we will only be in town for 2 nights. We are looking for the most convenient hotel to Space Needle, Pike Place Market, & restaurants. I would like somewhere we can walk to and from to these places and feel comfortable. Homeless do not bother me but aggressive pushy individuals do make me uncomfortable. We won't be out late but maybe 9-10pm at the latest. What hotels would you recommend instead?

Seattle has a number of great hotels, but our current favorite is the Mayflower Park. This might be one to consider. It is located beside Westlake Center; not only does the light rail system have a station at Westlake, there is also a monorail station to use for transit to Seattle Center.

Stayed at the Inn at the Market last August.....it was great. Some of the best chocolates I ever had were left on our pillows...other than that the location is perfect and we had no problem walking anywhere although the homeless folks are out there and they can be very annoying. Most of them are young people and see no reason why they cannot get a job instead of pan handling...

Loved being right at the Market and yes the hill is a steep climb. We wanted to stay there again this year but they were booked for our dates..

eclue:rolleyes:

Budget is not really an issue as we will only be in town for 2 nights. We are looking for the most convenient hotel to Space Needle, Pike Place Market, & restaurants. I would like somewhere we can walk to and from to these places and feel comfortable. Homeless do not bother me but aggressive pushy individuals do make me uncomfortable. We won't be out late but maybe 9-10pm at the latest. What hotels would you recommend instead?

You'll be in a great location for all that. If you go north on First Avenue you're in Belltown--lots of great restaurants. It's also a popular neighborhood for nightlife, and there have been a few incidents at some of the bars and clubs, or just outside--fights and the like--but that's generally concentrated on the weekends and later at night, when the participants have had time to get sufficiently loaded.

You may run into a few panhandlers anywhere, but First Avenue doesn't have the highest concentrations. The crazy or persistent ones are even less common, though they are out there. If that's your main concern, I would say, stay put. I've heard great things about the Inn at the Market, too.

Gardyloo, thanks for your reply to my other thread. How long would it take in a taxi from the Mayflower to the Amtrak station?

5-10 minutes depending on how many red lights you hit.

The Inn is right in the middle of the Pike Place Market, so lots of restaurants, bars, people around day and night. Two things to mention, however:

1. It's on a very steep hill; getting down to Pike Place or up to First Avenue is challenging to mobility-impaired folks.

We are also staying at Inn at the Market. We do have 2 in our party with walking issues. When you say it is difficult to get to Pike Place, you don't mean Pike Place Market, do you?

I thought that Inn at the Market was in Pike Place Market. That's one reason we were willing to pay their price.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

Gardyloo, thanks for your reply to my other thread. How long would it take in a taxi from the Mayflower to the Amtrak station?

We actually have taken a taxi from the Mayflower Park to the Seattle Amtrak station. We were taking the early morning train, and the trip was ten minutes maximum.

We are also staying at Inn at the Market. We do have 2 in our party with walking issues. When you say it is difficult to get to Pike Place, you don't mean Pike Place Market, do you?

I thought that Inn at the Market was in Pike Place Market. That's one reason we were willing to pay their price.

It's right on the edge of the Market...but that block of Pine Street down from First Avenue to Pike Place is quite steep (and Stewart Street, at the other end of the block, is even steeper). If your friends can walk okay on more level ground, you could walk up to Pike--it's a little farther, but more flat.

I forgot to mention the lovely rooftop patio at the Inn....you can see Mount Rainier and view the Sound..it is a great view of the ferris wheel and at sunset, it is ama

I forgot to mention the lovely rooftop patio at the Inn....you can see Mount Rainier and view the Sound..it is a great view of the ferris wheel and at sunset, it is ama

I meant to write " it is amazing".

We just returned from a 6 night stay at the Inn at the Market. We chose this place because we wanted a hotel close to the Pike Place Market. The shops in the market closes at 6 pm but the restaurants in and around the market are still open. We had dinner at Le Pichet, Etta's, The Pink Door and Matt in the Market. Breakfast at Bacco's, The Crumpet Shop and the Bisquit Bitch. All were a very short walk from the hotel and the food was amazing. The sun sets around 9 pm but we were in our room way before that. From our room overlooking 1st Ave and Stewart St there we people walking around to about midnight. If it was a nice day we would go to the roof top patio with a glass of wine and view the sunset. And yes, Mt Ranier is visible on a clear day from the patio. We walked to Seattle Center on one day where the Space Needle is located and while there are homeless and panhandlers all over the city none that we encountered were aggressive. While at the Seattle Center you have to check out Chihuly Garden and Glass. It was expensive but well worth the price. On another day we walked to the Safeco Field to watch an afternoon baseball game between the Mariners and the Yankees. Had fun booing A-Rod every time he came up to bat. The only negative I have about the hotel is that its so expensive but after you see your room and experience the friendly staff it was well worth it. I would go back for an Alaskan post cruise stay in the future. Just have to start saving for it.

We had dinner at Le Pichet, Etta's, The Pink Door and Matt in the Market. Breakfast at Bacco's, The Crumpet Shop and the Bisquit Bitch.

Would you recommend any of those resturants? I was looking at a few of them myself.

• 5 weeks later...
We are staying here before our cruise in Aug. We fly in around noon, Will they store our luggage before we check in so we can see some of the city.

yes, and they'll hold it after you check out as well if you want to do a little more sightseeing before you head to the ship.

That morning is actually a good time to visit the Market since the crowds aren't overwhelming until around 11am.

Either pier is only 5-10 minutes away so no need to rush.

It's right on the edge of the Market...but that block of Pine Street down from First Avenue to Pike Place is quite steep (and Stewart Street, at the other end of the block, is even steeper). If your friends can walk okay on more level ground, you could walk up to Pike--it's a little farther, but more flat.

Even though it is only a block, could we get a taxi to take us that short distance just so we can avoid the climb?

Even though it is only a block, could we get a taxi to take us that short distance just so we can avoid the climb?

You might...but they probably won't be happy about it. Pile Place is the one-way street that goes through the middle of the Market, but functions more as a pedestrian walkway that cars are still allowed to drive on :eek:. it's very slow going when the Market is busy, and it's the only way the cab can get out after dropping you.

You can come out of the hotel partway down the hill on Pine Street (it's less steep than Stewart Street, a block north), cross the street and walk down a short distance, and then turn left and walk down Post Alley. It's more of a gradual slope and it comes out a block south at Pike Place, kitty-corner across from the pig and the fish-throwing guys--the hub of the Market.

Edited by Casagordita

After checking in you’ll be able to use the First Ave entrance with your room key. It avoids the steep hill on Pine to the main entrance of the hotel. As Casagordita mentioned, from there walking south on First Ave to Pike St to access the market is a much easier path if there are mobility issues.

We try to stay at The Inn anytime we’re in Seattle and can get a good rate. We were there the weekend of June 27. Great location and the rooms have been updated within the last couple years.

Since you have strong concerns about this walk, keep in mind that the Market is multi bldgs, multi stories and uneven surfaces. ALSO, there's the return trip to the hotel. In Seattle, taxis don't roam around looking for fares; if you need one for the return trip so there may or may not be a cab AT the Market to bring you back. You may luck out and find a cab that just dropped off passengers.

I suggest that YOU walk the suggested routes first .... it's only a couple of blocks so 10 minutes. Walk down 1st to Pike and see how it feels then walk back along Pike Place and up Pine to the hotel. See which route seems easiest for them to manage.

I would also suggest going in the morning, maybe the morning your ship departs. By 11am the crowds can be overwhelming....not good for people who are unsteady on their feet.

Good luck!

I suggest that YOU walk the suggested routes first .... it's only a couple of blocks so 10 minutes. Walk down 1st to Pike and see how it feels then walk back along Pike Place and up Pine to the hotel. See which route seems easiest for them to manage.

Good luck!

Great suggestion. That is just what I will do. Thank you so much.

• 1 month later...