Elation vs Dream (maybe Dawn?)

sardam

We were on the Elation last December and it wasn't my favourite (7th cruise, 5 carnival). The shows were okay, entertainment during the day was lacking and Camp Carnival was sub par compared to Carnival paradise that my kids were on a year earlier.

New Orleans isn't our usual port but this year due to unchangeable circumstances that is where we will be again.

I wanted to try the dream and I think my kids will enjoy the waterworks, but for the 6 of us it will be $1000 more. It is 2 days longer but because of travel time 5 nights vs 7 might actually be better.

Can anyone that has been on the Elation and Dream recently give me a been there done that perspective, ideally with kids in the 5-10 year old range?

The Norwegian Dawn is the other option. We have never been on Norwegian, Carnival and Royal is previous experience. We have been on larger and other small ships not just the Elation, that wasn't the issue.

Thanks

We have sailed on both the Elation and Dream. However, not with kids. Imho, go Dream if u can.

We have sailed NCL Jewel and Spirit. If im correct, Dawn is Jewel's sister. These are very comparable to CCL's Conquest Class ships. And the NCL experience is very similar to CCL.....my opinion, staff is better on NCL but food is better on CCL

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I have been on both in the last 6 months but not with kids. The Dream is better all around. Easier to navigate, more room even though there are more people. I prefer 7 night cruises to 4 or 5 nights, as well. The shows on the Dream blow Elation out of the water!

My friend went on the Dawn and he loved it and compared it favorably to the Dream but that was before they added the fee for room service. With kids that could be a big consideration.

Edited by BigB0882

We have been on both. Elation with kids wasn't bad but we loved the Dream. Elation is great for price but Dream has deck 5 with the hot tubs and lounge chairs that get you away from the crowd that's on the Ledo deck.

We have been on both with kids, and while we loved Elation, the Dream is better and worth the extra money, in my opinion.

Reasons why Dream is a better choice:

*COVE BALCONY!!! (this is my #1 reason!)

*waterworks water slides

*seaside theater

*longer cruise (although sounds like this might be a negative thing for you)

*Not a big fan of Progresso

*more food options, such as the pasta bar and the burrito place (forgot their names!) and bbq on the lanai

*Seuss at Sea brunch! (haven't done this yet, but I am super excited about it!)

I have put together reviews of both ships if you care to take a look :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1890337 (elation review)

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057773 (Dream review)

I can't believe I forgot to mention that the Dream has the Tandoori buffet which is AMAZING. It is worth the price of the cruise to me. lol

Cove balconies are also amazing. I don't think the Elation even has balcony rooms at all. The only balconies are with the suites.

On my next cruise I am trying an L shaped cabin with the larger balcony but I already have a feeling I will prefer the Cove balcony and those are the cheapest balconies on the ship. I keep waiting for them to realize how popular they are and make them a higher category than other regular balconies.

Edited by BigB0882

We were on the Elation last December and it wasn't my favourite (7th cruise, 5 carnival). The shows were okay, entertainment during the day was lacking and Camp Carnival was sub par compared to Carnival paradise that my kids were on a year earlier.

New Orleans isn't our usual port but this year due to unchangeable circumstances that is where we will be again.

I wanted to try the dream and I think my kids will enjoy the waterworks, but for the 6 of us it will be $1000 more. It is 2 days longer but because of travel time 5 nights vs 7 might actually be better.

Can anyone that has been on the Elation and Dream recently give me a been there done that perspective, ideally with kids in the 5-10 year old range?

The Norwegian Dawn is the other option. We have never been on Norwegian, Carnival and Royal is previous experience. We have been on larger and other small ships not just the Elation, that wasn't the issue.

Thanks

Dream is preferable IMO if you can afford it. I've sailed on Elation a couple times the past year and was disappointed that the ship is as beaten up as it is. Both times my cabin had beaten up cabinets, missing shoe molding, and dirty carpets. The shower leaked. This ship needs refurbishing badly IMO. Elation offers great value though if you can't afford the extra for Dream.

I would not even consider Dawn. NCLs cabins are smaller than Carnival's and NCL will nickel and dime you onboard.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll be booking by Sunday with the ES rate and $50 credit.

The money isn't an issue other then with the savings my husband and I could go on a cruise this fall with no kids, lol.

I have heard fantastic things about the Dream. I have also recently heard really good things about the Elation from friends who recently got back. Interestingly, they had also sailed the Elation in January and said that their late May cruise was tons better than the January one. Staff makes all the difference imho, and unfortunately, staff is always changing.

My vote goes to the Dream as well. We sailed her in 2013 and absolutely loved the ship!

We just got off the Dawn (today) and I have to say it's the least favorite of the NCL fleet that we have been on (and you can see from my signature line that we normally sail NCL and have sailed a majority of the fleet). The entertainment was awesome, the staff is friendly, but I felt the ship just wasn't up to par with the other NCL fleet. Just my opinion...

If you want, I have a review of the Dream in my signature line and there's tons of pictures in it. :)

We were on the Elation 3 or 4 years ago..in an upper deck inside. The ship - to me at least - was kind of depressing over-all. Our inside cabin was a decent size but the only 'seat' was a little vanity stool. With one completely bare wall you'd think they could put something there to sit on! I thought maybe our cabin was just missing something it should have had and so I asked the cabin steward if he could come up with a chair. He did. It was a beat-up dinette type chair...but it was a chair!!lol

We'd been cruising solely with NCL for a while but decided to give Carnival another try for a quick get away. After that went on the Jewel (very nice!) and then, this past March, we went on the Dawn..two connecting balconies with family members. Everyone was disappointed....small cabins, not up-to-par food (with poor service to boot!) and then never being able to hook my eleven year old granddaughter with the camp program. We stood in a long line in the atrium area to sign her up the day we boarded but received no further info. Whenever we went up to the kids area what she should do, either no one was there to talk to or there was 1 person with a line waiting to speak to them. We finally gave up. I will say that the entertainment was stellar!!

I have to describe a kids program years ago on the Sun out of Houston. We took a then 15 year old granddaughter with us..her first cruise. She was so nervous on the drive there, will it be fun and will I make friends etc.

While we were sitting in the terminal waiting to board, 2 young women were going around and approaching everyone who looked to be the age they were supervising...it was August so they found quite a few! They took Tania's name and invited her to their first get-together that evening in the teen lounge. She went and the rest is history.lol She had a fantastic time and claims to this day that it was one of her best vacations ever. What a difference between that experience and the one on the Dawn!

Oh well, enough said. Now I am booked (with one of my daughters) on the Dream in December. I've read so many good things about the Dream and look forward to it!