No bottle:diabetics,no caffeine,no sugar....

MEcruisin

I am a platinum cruiser on Carnival. I am also a Diabetic and recent Bariatric Bypass patient. I cannot have more than 5 or so grams of sugar in a beverage as well as absolutely no caffeine, nor alcohol. Keeping that in mind, I take on board with me at embarkation: bottles of Trop 50, Diet Ocean Spray, & Welch's Light. I also bring on water bottles and Crystal Light drink mixes. NONE of these come in a can!! Carnival does not provide any beverage onboard other than water out of the tap station or skim milk on the buffet station that I can safely drink. To whom do I voice my concerns and questions about this new policy to?? Did Carnival take into consideration any of us that are in the same situation?? OR do they care?? Please any help or tips on what to do? I have an up coming cruise in September on the Magic already paid for.

I am a platinum cruiser on Carnival. I am also a Diabetic and recent Bariatric Bypass patient. I cannot have more than 5 or so grams of sugar in a beverage as well as absolutely no caffeine, nor alcohol. Keeping that in mind, I take on board with me at embarkation: bottles of Trop 50, Diet Ocean Spray, & Welch's Light. I also bring on water bottles and Crystal Light drink mixes. NONE of these come in a can!! Carnival does not provide any beverage onboard other than water out of the tap station or skim milk on the buffet station that I can safely drink. To whom do I voice my concerns and questions about this new policy to?? Did Carnival take into consideration any of us that are in the same situation?? OR do they care?? Please any help or tips on what to do? I have an up coming cruise in September on the Magic already paid for.

Crystal Lite comes in individual packets specifically for bottled water. Problem solved.

You can buy bottled water for $2.99 in a 12-pack through the fun shops now. You can still bring on your crystal light packets to add to those.

You can also water down regular juice and add powdered sweetener. That is basically what your diet ocean spray and trop 50 are, watered down juice with sweetener added. Here is the ingredient list from your diet cranberry juice:

Ingredients: Filtered Water, Cranberry Juice From Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Pectin, Citric Acid, Fumaric Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Sodium Citrate, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose (Splenda Brand), Red 40 (Color).

Your trop 50 is orange juice with stevia and water added.

It would be a slight hassle, but you would probably still save money as stevia and sweeteners and the bottled water are cheap versus the bottles of the diet cran and trop 50.

I've asked this on John Healds page...of course he skipped over my question. I agree with the other poster to contact Carnivals special needs department and address your concern.

Some quick solutions come to mind:

1. Cancel.

2. Drink just Crystal Light (or something similar) made from the powder.

3. Find a suitable alternative canned beverage to bring on.

4. Drink nothing but the "water or milk" provided on board.

5. Contact Special Needs to determine if a waiver from the policy can be provided.

Bring a plastic cup with a screw on top like they use for sports drinks. Open the can and pour in you drink, it will keep for awhile and not spill.

Can't ban empty cups. (Yet)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You can get the bottled water delivered for 2.99. Or bring a reusable bottle and use the ships water. Or just use the ships cups. Bring the crystal light drink drops or powder and voila. Added acceptable drink flavors for your vacation.

I understand you're upset. No one likes to have to change from their routine. It is lousy that you have to come up with other choices because others pushed the limits on smuggling. Diet-Rite Cola is caffeine free, very low sodium, sugar free and comes in cans. That is what my mom drinks. Not totally convenient but if you bring an empty sports bottle you could always pour the extra in that for storage. Sorry this has impacted you this way.

Sorry in advance for how snarky this is going to sound, but you might want to contact all of those posters on other threads who bragged about how they smuggled alcohol or planned to do so. They are the ones who ruined things for the majority of the people, probably like you, who followed the rules.

You should contact Special Needs and then get a note from your doctor that says you have to take them. Good luck. Hope that works for you.

A lot of diet juice drinks such as Ocean Spray come in cans. Crystal Light makes single powder packs you can dump into a bottle of water. V8 Diet Fusion comes in cans. Diet Nestea comes in cans. There are canned diet options out there. What's wrong with drinking water?

http://www.oceanspray.com/Products/Juices/By-Type/Sparkling.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/V8-V-Fusion-Energy-Drink-Raspberry/dp/B00I8TB4C8/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1433866531&sr=8-18&keywords=diet+juice+cans

http://www.amazon.com/Nestea-Lemon-Iced-Cans-Pack/dp/B00IPZWMIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433866722&sr=8-1&keywords=diet+nestea+cans

OP, did you check the Ocean Spray website? I did and found Diet Ocean Spray Sparkling Cranberry in cans (four cans to the carton) on their website, so they must be available somewhere. I also found them on Amazon.

There are two links on the Ocean Spray website - one to find a local store that sells it (by zip code search) and one to order online. http://www.oceanspray.com/Products/Juices/By-Flavor/Cranberry-and-Cranberry-Blends/Cranberry/Diet-Sparkling-Cranberry.aspx

I also checked Welch's and Trop 50, but found only bottles of their products on each of their websites.

I am diabetic and platinum and I can afford $2.99 for a case of water and there is an enormous variety of water flavor enhancers in both powder and liquid squeeze bottle form. People will find something to complain about that makes their case "special" over any new issue that comes up. it is getting really old.

I have seen Diet Ocean Spray in cans. I know I have purchased the "sparkling" version of it. Will that work for you?

I see that Trop 50 does come in a carton. The new policy does allow cartons. We have to bring almond milk in cartons for my son--so I was relieved to see that is still allowed!

I think with a little planning you can find your drinks in cans or cartons.

We ALWAYS carry on either a camelbak or a tervis cup and crystal light packets. I'm pretty sure there juice powder versions too. We just fill up at a water station and add the packet. Easy peasy.

You might suggest to JH or special needs that they carry some diet juice options for diabetics. I'm sure many diabetics would really enjoy having that option available!

A lot of diet juice drinks such as Ocean Spray come in cans. Crystal Light makes single powder packs you can dump into a bottle of water. V8 Diet Fusion comes in cans. Diet Nestea comes in cans. There are canned diet options out there. What's wrong with drinking water?

http://www.amazon.com/V8-V-Fusion-Energy-Drink-Raspberry/dp/B00I8TB4C8/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1433866531&sr=8-18&keywords=diet+juice+cans

http://www.amazon.com/Nestea-Lemon-Iced-Cans-Pack/dp/B00IPZWMIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433866722&sr=8-1&keywords=diet+nestea+cans

Also diet rootbeer, no caffeine, just open tab, let it go flat.

Why are some here making mountains?

Can you please post a link to where you found Oceanspray diet cranberry in a can that is NOT sparkling (carbonated)? I've been searching and can't find any. Thanks

OMG, people can be really mean, snarky, spiteful.

Guess I was wrong in that this board was for asking questions, or getting helpful tips on cruising.

My thought process was that other avid cruisers would help a gal out with a medical condition. I thought mentioning that I was platinum would only be more info to anyone that took the time to read my question and answer. NOT that I was being boastful. AND I am not making mountains....NOR am I complaining!!

NOTHING is wrong with WATER, I do drink ALOT of it!! I do bring Crystal Light enhancers to add to my water. I did not know that I could also bring empty containers/tumblers to mix/drink out of..... AND yes I can afford to buy the new 12 packs of water bottles at $2.99 if pre ordered or $4.99 at embarkation.

V8 Diet Fusion=Caffeine

Diet Nestea Lemon=Caffeine & Sodium

Ocean Spray "sparkling" Juice= carbonated, fizz, bubbles, air

Any Carbonated beverage ie) soda, etc.....

Again, I was just looking for some alternatives to drinking water the whole time on my cruise. Yes I learned some things, Thank you to those that were helpful and nice with answers.... I will contact special needs (again learned something, never new there was a department) and will look to my Primary Care Physician for a note.

Edited by MEcruisin
forgot to add something

Crystal light has small packets you can put into bottled water. and the cases are only $2.99 for 12 pack (cheaper than I get here in fort myers!). also, ocean spray has small cans of juice in the grocery stores. also check liquor stores for mixers, they have a lot of juices in cans

Could make your own caffeine free iced tea

Into a coffee mug

Put in sweetener of choice

Little bit of hot water to dissolve, stir

Add 2 teabags of choice and fill mug with hot water

Steep

Pour over a full glass of ice

Add lemon if desired.

Can you please post a link to where you found Oceanspray diet cranberry in a can that is NOT sparkling (carbonated)? I've been searching and can't find any. Thanks

Could always get the sparkling, open it and let it go flat. Not the best but it would eliminate the carbonation.