No bottle:diabetics,no caffeine,no sugar....

MEcruisin

Can you please post a link to where you found Oceanspray diet cranberry in a can that is NOT sparkling (carbonated)? I've been searching and can't find any. Thanks

You can find the diet ocean spray juice in cartons, perhaps that would be allowed.

I understand you're upset. No one likes to have to change from their routine. It is lousy that you have to come up with other choices because others pushed the limits on smuggling. Diet-Rite Cola is caffeine free, very low sodium, sugar free and comes in cans. That is what my mom drinks. Not totally convenient but if you bring an empty sports bottle you could always pour the extra in that for storage. Sorry this has impacted you this way.

Gastric bypass patients cannot have carbonated beverages.

That being said, I'm cruising in December .... I'm not special or platinum, but I had gastric bypass 2 months ago. I have purchased 3 cases of water and my individual packets of crystal light are going with me. No big deal.

It does not appear that Diet Cranberry Ocean Spray comes in a can. But there are plenty of flavored diet packets to put in a water bottle.

P.S. By the time of your cruise OP, I'll bet your diabetes is gone!

Edited by Cruzin2paradise09

I don't see a problem here. As mentioned, you can buy bottled water on the ship, or if you don't want to spend the money, drink the ship water. Crystal Light definitely comes in single serve powder and also there are other flavorings that are diabetic friendly that come in packs.

Your husband might have to drink something else for a week. I don't think that's any different than eating different food from what you have at home. Why make this into such a problem when it's not necessary? I don't see where having a note from your husband's doctor is going to make one bit of difference as I know it's not your case, but many people get doctors notes just because they want something not available to others such as thinking a recovering alcohol shouldn't have to buy Cheers if in a cabin with someone who wants to buy it. Fake notes abound and I believe John answered questions about exemptions on his page today.

I can't believe that there are no sugar free paks that your husband can't take onboard. As long as it doesn't come in a bottle, it's ok. Perhaps you can do some checking before the cruise, or heaven forbid, he may just have to mix drinks with water or drink water the whole cruise. He won't be the first or last to do that. Good luck.

Edited by katiel53

I had gastric bypass 4 years ago and began cruising about that time. Hubby is diabetic so I can identify with you on both conditions.

First I am surprised that you are drinking any juice, even the lower calorie. I guess it varies from doctor to doctor.

You will survive with crystal light for a week. It comes in decaf ice tea, my personal favorite as well as a variety of other flavors. Hubby is the challenge for us as he is a PowerAde zero liquid fan. Don't think they are going to let those on so he will just drink water and an occasional diet coke. They do sell PowerAde berry at the coffee shop. Not one of his favorite flavors.

I don't mean this to sound like flaming but you are going to have to accept that your eating is changed forever. You will need to make compromises for the rest of your life. Please know that every time I go out to eat, which is several evening per week, I struggle with wanting something yummy to drink but know I have to stick to water. That tropical smoothie is off limits and part of the reason I need gastric bypass in the first place.

Edited by springs741

I am a platinum cruiser on Carnival. I am also a Diabetic and recent Bariatric Bypass patient. I cannot have more than 5 or so grams of sugar in a beverage as well as absolutely no caffeine, nor alcohol. Keeping that in mind, I take on board with me at embarkation: bottles of Trop 50, Diet Ocean Spray, & Welch's Light. I also bring on water bottles and Crystal Light drink mixes. NONE of these come in a can!! Carnival does not provide any beverage onboard other than water out of the tap station or skim milk on the buffet station that I can safely drink. To whom do I voice my concerns and questions about this new policy to?? Did Carnival take into consideration any of us that are in the same situation?? OR do they care?? Please any help or tips on what to do? I have an up coming cruise in September on the Magic already paid for.

Like you I had gastric bypass and a diabetic. I don't have any problems when I cruise. I can have coffee and the crystal light comes in the little packs. Just buy a case of water for 3 dollars. I eat better on the ship then I do at home with all the different types of food. I think the trop 50 has to much sugar anyway. I drink a lot of skim milk You won't have a problem.

Could make your own caffeine free iced tea

Into a coffee mug

Put in sweetener of choice

Little bit of hot water to dissolve, stir

Add 2 teabags of choice and fill mug with hot water

Steep

Pour over a full glass of ice

Add lemon if desired.

I was going to suggest this also. There are several flavored teas that do not contain caffeine. If you do not want to make the tea on the lido deck, order hot water from room service. Or what about buying a case of bottled flavor water like Zero Vitamin Water, or SoBe Zero? Maybe even diet Gatorade or PowerAde.

My husband is diabetic so I understand the struggle. ;)

Edited by adriennerm

I was going to suggest this also. There are several flavored teas that do not contain caffeine. If you do not want to make the tea on the lido deck, order hot water from room service. Or what about buying a case of bottled flavor water like Zero Vitamin Water, or SoBe Zero? Maybe even diet Gatorade or PowerAde.

My husband is diabetic so I understand the struggle. ;)

Not after the first week of July! Bottles gone!!

You can contact Special Needs department.

specialneeds@carnival.com

^^ This. If you actually have a medical reason for bringing stuff on that does not come in a can I would be calling. Anything that I would desire to bring on I can get in a can. I don't usually, but I like pepsi I so I can grab a 12 pack of cans of that no problem.

But like if you really need juice or something ( I recall a person not that long ago that needed cranberry juice that was sugar free or something) I would just call and get a written consent from Carnival (hopefully they are willing to do that) that you can bring it with you. I don't think Carnival is trying to argue with those who actually have medical needs, I think they are really trying to get in control of the alcohol smuggling issue.

My dad is a fan of no sugar kool-aid and sweetener. Could you take an empty bottle/sip cup and mix individual kool-aid pacts with water and sweetener powder?

My T1 hubby drinks these when we visit and really likes them so as we cannot take our usual cordial on board we will have to take these instead.

Also concerned we cannot take lucozade bottles on the ship for when he is low. It comes in cans but these are harder to find and sugar gels are pricier and Lucozade is easier to get his dosage to come right back up to 4-7.

Edited by Velvetwater

If the OP has had gastric surgery, then he/she probably cannot have carbonated drinks - thus the suggestions for caffein-free soft drinks and sparkling cranberry will not do the trick. Just sayin'.....

The OP is still learning to live with her recent surgery that entails massive dietary changes. She's likely fearful of stepping out of bounds with the food and drink instructions she was given. I don't think she was complaining the way people here have interpreted it to be. Right now, it is a job for herself so she won't get sick over eating a bit too much of this or that. In time, she'll be able to branch out a little.

Cut her a little slack during this scary time.:) I've seen something similar while teaching diet and new diabetics. Trying to get them to understand they cannot get the same glucose number twice even with a closely watched diet can be challenging.

All you need to do is contact Special Needs with a letter from your doctor saying you need this. They will give you a waiver. DH had bypass surgery 3 months before a cruise and needed extra fluids. Got a waiver that allowed us to bring on whatever he needed

No reason to get upset. That is why Special Needs Department is there.

Also go to the mat'trade? When you get on board. Let him know of you restrictions. They will work with you.

They would bring the next nights menu to my DH and he picked what he wanted. Why? Because he could only eat 1/2 portions and did not want to be wasteful.

You will find Carnival very helpful with your needs. We never had an issue.

I think your best bet is to buy the bottled water from carnival and bring your crystal light packets. That's what I plan to do.

Agreed.

Lots of helpful information and reasonable solutions for OP here.

I feel bad for the OP. I think what the OP meant by using the word "platinum" is that she has been loyal to the company and perhaps should be able to expect some consideration or loyalty in return. I am not platinum, but don't take the same quick offense that other people did. People become snarky too quickly. This person has some real medical issues, booked the cruise with certain expectations and now is faced with canceling and losing their money, drinking something they don't like to drink(I personally have never loved water-any kind), They obviously have done searching and HAVE found what they like to drink. People who book at this point on I have no sympathy for; you knew what you were getting. I have sympathy however for the OP and hope that special needs can help them. I know exceptions are made, for example I have a CPAP and need an extension cord usually to hook up my machine and the cruise line is more than accommodating typically.

Bring a plastic cup with a screw on top like they use for sports drinks. Open the can and pour in you drink, it will keep for awhile and not spill.

Can't ban empty cups. (Yet)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Next BRILLIANT Cutback

I don't get the concern at all. Buy the bottles of water to be delivered to your room (cheap!), and bring proper flavored packets. Problem solved. As a bariatric patient or a diabetic you should be able to do just fine with that.

I am really confused why you can't just drink water? :confused:

I am a platinum cruiser on Carnival. I am also a Diabetic and recent Bariatric Bypass patient. I cannot have more than 5 or so grams of sugar in a beverage as well as absolutely no caffeine, nor alcohol. Keeping that in mind, I take on board with me at embarkation: bottles of Trop 50, Diet Ocean Spray, & Welch's Light. I also bring on water bottles and Crystal Light drink mixes. NONE of these come in a can!! Carnival does not provide any beverage onboard other than water out of the tap station or skim milk on the buffet station that I can safely drink. To whom do I voice my concerns and questions about this new policy to?? Did Carnival take into consideration any of us that are in the same situation?? OR do they care?? Please any help or tips on what to do? I have an up coming cruise in September on the Magic already paid for.

Hi OP,

I am diabetic and I am high risk for heart failure and I am on a struck diet, I ordered the bottle water for $2.99 for twelve bottles, I can not have the Diet sodas because it has Asperatain in it which is rat poison and it affects my kidney function and my liver function, so my Dr. told me that I can not drink that He also told me I can drink a sprite if I really need the soda, it is low in sugar and no caffeine, I usually don't drink soda carbonation is not good for you anyway, I live off of water or unsweet tea. I have been on 20 cruises and I usually drink sprite if I have to have it but mostly just water and unsweet tea. I have just been diagnosed with the heart failure and I started the no salt diet and I can tell you when we go cruising I have no problem sticking to what I have to have. I don't eat the deserts I eat fruit. It is not that hard to let them know what you can and can not have they will accommodate you. Good luck and best wishes