Why does RCL sell Beverage Packages?

Of course they expect a certain amount of sharing to occur, just as a retail store expects a certain amount of shoplifting to occur. But, I think the reason they backed off the rule of every adult in a cabin must buy one is that they were missing out on a lot of potential sales, because there are a lot of couples for which the package is worth buying for one, but not the other. So, it's probably easier for them to sell more packages without that restriction.

Totally agree. We just booked my 2nd cruise ever (Harmony 2017) and I am looking at the liquor package. My only other cruise was a carnival 4 day, and I paid 207.00 out the door for alcohol for me. I broke even twice, while my wife had to buy the package and broke even. So unless RCL changes their mind again by 2017, I am getting the package and my wife probably wont. But if we both have to buy, then we wont buy the package. My wife is just not as a big as drinker as I am.....

The way I see it is this; RCI is not bothered if you "try to get your money's worth" because the prices are so ridiculously inflated that even when you, the guest, breaks even compared to bar prices, RCI is still way ahead. And not everyone even "breaks even".

Essentially they've gotten you to pay for the rate for, what, an average of 35 drinks up front? Sure you can get more, but how many do; and I'm sure RCI smartened up and added bottled water to the packages because that probably costs them 3 cents a piece, maybe 5 cents a piece?

Wastage, sharing, labor, it's all built into the ridiculously high prices. You can "lock in the rate" for your trip and budget, and some people have a feel good thing about it. I just can't drink that much; and even though non-alcoholic drinks are available I just don't drink that much soda or sugary drinks normally.

Now, if RCI offered a voucher system like MSC; pay $75 or so up front for 12 drink coupons to use for anything, anywhere, that is something I'd purchase.

The way I see it is this; RCI is not bothered if you "try to get your money's worth" because the prices are so ridiculously inflated that even when you, the guest, breaks even compared to bar prices, RCI is still way ahead. And not everyone even "breaks even".

Essentially they've gotten you to pay for the rate for, what, an average of 35 drinks up front? Sure you can get more, but how many do; and I'm sure RCI smartened up and added bottled water to the packages because that probably costs them 3 cents a piece, maybe 5 cents a piece?

Wastage, sharing, labor, it's all built into the ridiculously high prices. You can "lock in the rate" for your trip and budget, and some people have a feel good thing about it. I just can't drink that much; and even though non-alcoholic drinks are available I just don't drink that much soda or sugary drinks normally.

Now, if RCI offered a voucher system like MSC; pay $75 or so up front for 12 drink coupons to use for anything, anywhere, that is something I'd purchase.

I believe the purpose behind the elevated bar prices is to push the elevated packages.