Coral Princess Mini Suite

Virgo61

We are planning a summer 2016 Alaska cruise/tour. We would like advice on which mini suite to book. We prefer mid ship middle deck so I believe those are the most expensive. We are looking at cabin B416 which is one of only 4 mini suites on that deck. These appear to be bumped out. Is this a good choice? The further aft one is already reserved as are the 2 port side ones on Caribe deck. Any advantage to Port side on an Alaska tour?:)

We are planning a summer 2016 Alaska cruise/tour. We would like advice on which mini suite to book. We prefer mid ship middle deck so I believe those are the most expensive. We are looking at cabin B416 which is one of only 4 mini suites on that deck. These appear to be bumped out. Is this a good choice? The further aft one is already reserved as are the 2 port side ones on Caribe deck. Any advantage to Port side on an Alaska tour?:)

We have stayed in the mini suites that are on the edge of the bump out.

Ours was facing forward . Enjoyed looking forward to look for whales and other sea life.

I think you will be fine in the Minis you mentioned, this is a great site to use for balcony coverage, this is for the Island but for your use the side mini balconies are the same on both ships....

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/island-princess-balcony-guide

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We stayed in that exact cabin on the Island (same layout) and loved it!

There is one big caveat.. If you are more than a party of 2, you may find the balcony too small. For 2 it was fine (we did the UBD on it, see below)

On the plus side, the location of the cabin is great, the angle of view is spectacular, which for Alaska is a key.

Now, that said, for Alaska, I might consider the rear bumpout version of the same cabin if avail. The balcony was a little windy underway (not as bad as you might think) but that was in the Caribbean where the cool breeze felt amazing. In Alaska, depending on time of year, might be chillier.

Panama2011Card6-15-X2.jpg

Panama2011Card2-10-X3.jpg

Panama2011Card6-17-X2.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I have a few follow up questions. I noticed that the bump out minis are 22 square feet smaller than the ones on deck 9. I've learned from your helpful answers that the difference is in the balcony size. So basically the decision is between a larger balcony with limited forward or rear views or a smaller balcony with better views. Is this correct? Also what is a UBD? It appears to be a dinner on the balcony?

My last question is, for this cruise is there a clear advantage for port over starboard? (We are doing Voyage of the Glaciers Southbound). The only port side mini available on the bump out is B 416, but B 503 and C 503 which are the starboard aft ones are both available.

Thanks so much for helping!

. Is this correct? Also what is a UBD? It appears to be a dinner on the balcony?

Enjoy an intimate, romantic dining experience with breathtaking views and a special meal served by your own dedicated waitstaff on your stateroom balcony. Ulitmate Balcony Dining features a hosted cocktail party, fresh flowers, champagne and a deluxe four-course meal featuring delicate sweet lobster tail or juicy steak among many available delicacies.

For those who want to start the day with a romantic meal, opt for a breakfast which includes specialty pastries, fresh fruits, quiche, smoked salmon and other special treats served with a half bottle of chilled sparkling wine. This item may be either ordered onboard by contacting the bell box or pre-purchased as a special service item (item #3009).

Available on all ships, the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a unique Princess dining experience. This item may be either ordered onboard by contacting the bell box or pre-purchased as a special service item (item #3011).

$100/couple/dinner

Edited by Colo Cruiser

No real difference, they will turn the ship around for scenic cruising, and animal spotting is random. For southbound, if I HAD to choose, I'd probably go starboard aft anyway, as you are looking out to see and have a slightly better chance of spotting a whale or something in transit.

UBD is a dinner on balcony,with a private waiter, photog, etc. There is a charge, not sure what the current is... There's also a breakfast version. It's quite nice, not sure if I would do it in AK though (depends when you are going), I included that picture more to reference that two people can eat a meal on the smaller balcony.

Thanks for the replies. I have a few follow up questions. I noticed that the bump out minis are 22 square feet smaller than the ones on deck 9. I've learned from your helpful answers that the difference is in the balcony size. So basically the decision is between a larger balcony with limited forward or rear views or a smaller balcony with better views. Is this correct? Also what is a UBD? It appears to be a dinner on the balcony?

My last question is, for this cruise is there a clear advantage for port over starboard? (We are doing Voyage of the Glaciers Southbound). The only port side mini available on the bump out is B 416, but B 503 and C 503 which are the starboard aft ones are both available.

Thanks so much for helping!

Edited by Loonbeam

• 4 weeks later...
I think you will be fine in the Minis you mentioned, this is a great site to use for balcony coverage, this is for the Island but for your use the side mini balconies are the same on both ships....

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/island-princess-balcony-guide

That link is no longer showing me the diagrams for which balconies are covered or uncovered. I was able to use it to book a regular balcony for my Jan 6 night cruise and found it so very helpful.

Can anyone tell me if there are any fully covered mini suites that are not foward? I don't do well up front and since we're condidering a longer cruise I'd like a larger cabin mid or aft. Thanks in advance.

Due to the severe heat and humidity for this voyage, I deliberately put a deposit on one of the minis on Dolphin deck just behind the regular suites in the aft area. We usually book cabins toward mid ship from mid aft, but we want a completely covered balcony due to weather conditions. When we did Alaska on the Sapphire, years ago, we were in regular mid ship balcony cabin (just the two of us, and enjoyed our balcony (uncovered)- had UBB when going through the glaciers, really enjoyed sitting outside of our room, listening to the speaker,etc.

Alaska weather mid July was very comfortable for sitting on balcony.

That link is no longer showing me the diagrams for which balconies are covered or uncovered. I was able to use it to book a regular balcony for my Jan 6 night cruise and found it so very helpful.

Can anyone tell me if there are any fully covered mini suites that are not foward? I don't do well up front and since we're condidering a longer cruise I'd like a larger cabin mid or aft. Thanks in advance.

Too bad that link is not working........as stated I believe Dolphin deck has covered minis.