Let's discuss Russian tour guides

BOGOman

We were on Crystal's Symphony and spent August 6 - 8 in St. Petersburg. We had received a very strong recommendation, through the Los Angeles Times travel letters, for an independent guide. We spent hours researching her, her web site, and letters of praise from all over the world. Based on this research we contacted her several months in advance, and it was probably the best decision regarding a guide that we have ever made!

Our guide's name was Alla Ushakova. She worked very closely with us to insure that we would maximize our 3 days in St. Petersburg, and see those attractions that we were most interested in. She arranged our visas and e-mailed them to us several weeks in advance of our departure.

Alla obtainted wonderful seats for us at the Mariinsky theater, where we experienced an absolutely first-rate ballet; seats for the "Feel Yourself Russian" show, including caviar and vodka; a tour through the Hermitage Gold Room, and a tour through the Coral Synagogue. She had extensive knowledge of the art, history and customs of St. Petersburg, and her English was impeccable.

Based on our three days with Alla, my DW and I have become lifelong friends with her. We hope to host her on her first trip to the USA in the coming months.

Alla's web site is http://www.alla-tour.com. Quite frankly, she's the best!

Mike

We had Dmytri from RO this past August. His demeanor was not as approachable as some of the women discussed on this board, but he was extremely knowledgeable and had no problems answering questions. Never did he "bash" Western civilization and would provide us a lot of information between USSR times and the current-day Russia. He would tell jokes and then laugh at them himself! That was quite humorous.

The one thing that the other couple in our group had a problem with was occasionally when they started wandering in a museum to see a different piece of art while Dmytri was discussing something different, he would make a comment, as if he wasn't being appreciated for his knowledge. It never bothered me (it was almost like a dry sense of humor, which I'm used to), but the other couple sometimes was put off by it...

We liked and would recommend Dmytri anyday!

We had Dmytri ...... It never bothered me (it was almost like a dry sense of humor, which I'm used to), but the other couple sometimes was put off by it...

We liked and would recommend Dmytri anyday!

I am sensing that a lot of people in the US are very sensitive or hyper sensitive to any deviation from what they expect and they feel any disagreement is an attack. I know things are getting so polarized in the US, in my own neighborhood I have to be very careful about what I say or someone will get angry that I am not "respecting their values" or one of "those Liberals" if I mention my fun and appreciation for my European travels and friends. I do not even discuss anything unless I simply nod my head in agreement to keep the peace...but keep my thoughts to myself. It wasn't like that even a few years ago. My European friends report the same thing and ever since 9/11 they say there has been a change in Americans and how tough it is to talk to us without getting yelled at. I understand because I get the same treatment from my neighbors who used to be pleasant, calm and gracious people. I saw the same overreaction by one of our van mates in Russia.

I figure than when people with completely different experiences are kind enough to share their opinions with me, I eagerly listen but I expect their opinions to be different, how could they not be? They lived a different life. It does not make them rude, stupid or bad if they believe something different. In time we all discover what we believed as one time was wrong. Sometimes what they say makes so much more sense than the way I do something I adopted it but I never would bother if I felt they were just trying to patronize me or tell me what I wanted to hear. I think the guides who bent over backwards to sanitize their comments not to offend overly sensitive people(who don't wear badges warning us of their ultra-critical personalities so we have no idea what they are going to be offended by) are not as interesting as those who interact from their heart.

Maybe those who recognize themselves as hypersensitive ought to get their own guide and leave the others in their van in peace, or give them a political alignment test before agreeing to a tour.

Jill

I contacted Denrus immediately upon return. Someone replied within a few days with a copious explanation, but none of it indicated that Ljudmilla is a contractor. By their response, which claimed that Ljudmilla has been praised on boards like this and agreeing with her that Russians have a deplorable view of Americans, I'd guess that Ljudmilla is part owner of Denrus rather than a contractor. But if she does contract her services in that industry, then I'd warn anyone using Red October, Baltic Travel or any other agency working the tour experience in St. Petersburg to be wary of getting her for your tour.

While Ljudmilla is very knowledgeable, she's likely to leave at least some in her tour groups despondent about the implications of a free and democratic Russia, just as she feels. But those tourists who go to Russia harboring their own grievances against the west, who have a radical desire for equality, who are ignorant of the importance of human rights in society, and who have a burning hatred for most things capitalistic, such tourists might just feel entirely comfortable with this bitterly anti-western woman. I've found that different tourists who have similar experiences can report them in greatly different ways, so I guess it depends, in part, on what you believe before you go and would like to see reinforced for you. Personally, I'm proud of my country (USA) and don't enjoy hearing it, or its values, trashed when I travel, especially by a tour guide who snidely dismisses achievement in her own country, won't answer questions and argues her private opinions vehemently on my time and at my expense.

bfetzner, I am glad you have posted this to warn others of a potential bad experience with Ludmilla from Denrus. Oftentimes, people are reluctant to post a negative post because they either don't care as much to post an unpleasant experience versus a more enlightning one or in fear of non-sympathetic responses and unfair attacks from others. People sometimes perceive the person posting a negative post as being a sourgrape or out of the norm. I think these posts are extremely helpful for potential consumers!

Our family have used both Denrus and Red October at different trips and were very satisfied with our guides. They were knowledgeable, professional, good hosts and colored our very favorable view of St. Petersburg. We think both Denrus and Red October are good and reliable companies, and would use them again.

Having said that, we also would like to share a few negative things we have heard about Ludmilla (Denrus) and Tatania (Red October). We have read complaints about Ludmilla of Denrus from this board (May 07, 2005 Constellation?/Baltics board) and actually in person from some who had her as a guide. The points you have made and described on your post were exactly what we have heard (rude style of interaction and an anti-American attitude, etc...). In addition, we have also heard from some cruisers who had Tatania of Red October that she had a very similar hostile style of interaction, an anti-American attitude, and had made the entire group extremely uncomfortable during the 2 day tour. They felt trapped as it would be too late to hire another tour company (with the lack of independent visas).

Again, we would retain either Denrus or RO for our next trip, but not if our guides are the above-mentioned individuals!

Pam

We toured with Elena from Red October on September 1 & 2. She was very professional, told us about her living conditions, and life in St. Petersburg. She also teaches at a university. She was very accommoding. At the beginning of the first day we asked if we could stop at the Old Synagogue sometime during the 2 days and we did that on the way to our first destination. Later on in the day, after we left Peterhof she stopped at the Holocaust Memorial and we were able to get out and take pictures there. We never asked for the stop; she did it on her own. I certainly recommend Elena and Red October. She was a very pleasant person as was her driver.

Holland America August 29, 2005

There is no question that many if not most Russians have low opinions of American due to our well known cultural insensitivity away from home, that is logical because that is the current opinion in Europe where I have a lot more travel experience. Others travel, not to be patronized but to learn about other people and how they think. Personally I would prefer an honest guide who answered my questions without filtering every response based on what she thought I wanted to hear and how it effected my tip. If you do not want an unpredictable answer don't ask questions of people who think differently and have a completely different experience. We are their guests in their country, it is their way of thinking we are asking about. The young cheerful guides can only give a carefully sanitized tour from what I am reading here and I would prefer someone who has lived and is not afraid of telling me their truthful opinion. They are not Americans with strange accents, they are Russians and have a different way of looking at things, some of which I think we could learn from instead of always insisting we are right and superior. If you paid attention to the lecture about the recent century Russians have survived more difficult times than the US will ever and the people have learned a lot. Maybe they deserve a little more respect to have vaild opinions and beliefs.

Not prepared to listen to an answer....fine, don't ask the question and let the others in the group enjoy their experience.

I respect your opinion however I think you're using far too broad a brush when characterizing Americans and how entire nations as a whole feel about Americans. As a guest in any country, I don't expect to be talked down to or treated badly because of someone else's stereotype of my nationality. And just because they're Russian and they've survived difficult times we're supposed to sit back and not be offended when someone speaks negatively about our country and our culture just because we're in their country? I don't think surviving gives you free reign or a pass on basic human decency. Cultural imperialism, for all it's pros and cons, isn't something that happened to Russia or any other country. Depending on what school of thought you follow, you could argue that the US's cultural imperialism has an effect or has no effect on other countries based on how strong the culture of that country was to begin with. You can't blame negativity towards entire nationalities on cultural imperialism when that imperialism can be rejected. I don't believe Russia has been victimized by western values and when visiting Russia I don't expect to be treated badly because I'm from the west. I did the Baltic cruise in 2001. I'm a traveler and not a tourist. I don't expect to be catered to and I dont expect other countries to be exactly like my own. I embrace different cultures and when in Rome, I do as the Romans do. When traveling I don't pre judge entire nations of people based on what I see on TV and I don't expect to be pre judged. Maybe that's just me? I'm offended when Americans defend people from other nations and say that it's OK to be anti-American because of some stereotype.

Wow...I'm tall when I'm on this soap box. :) Sorry for going a little off topic. As an American, you live in a country that allows you the free speech to defend the Russians and any prejudice they may have against Americans. I guess I just don't understand why you defend their stereotyping of our entire nation when you point out that Americans shouldn't do that to anyone else.

I've been reading these posts with interest for the past couple of days, and after reading Host Cecelia's post, I've finally decided to chime in with my own...

I was on the same tour of St. Petersburg with bfetzner and Ludmilla, and my impressions of our two days together were very different than his. Ludmilla hostile? No, I found her opinionated. While she definitely has a strong personality, combined with a blunt conversational style, at no point in the hours we spent together did I ever feel insulted, talked down to or treated badly.

As for the 'cowboys, feet up on the table' comment, it was followed up with a statement that most Russians now believe Americans are hard workers, decent people, etc... I remember discussing the 'newly wealthy' Russians as we were on the way to Tsarskoe Selo (Pushkin)...we were passing through an area filled with small country style dachas, surrounded by gardens, and then all of a sudden there were a few huge suburban villas that looked like they could have been lifted from my mother's retirement community in Florida and plunked down in rural Russia. Very incongruent considering the surroundings. Do these comments mean the speaker was hostile to 'achieving Russians'? Not in my opinion.

As we were walking in the park surrounding Peterhof, Ludmilla and I discussed the realities of living in a country other than your homeland (I am an American living in Germany), I told her I was enjoying the experience, she said she tried it for a couple of years, and was glad to get home, back to the theater, ballet and culture she so enjoyed. Is this a hatred of the west? I don't think so.

I won't say our two days touring St. Petersburg were perfect. I didn't expect them to be...after all, we (the tour participants) only knew each other from a few e-mails, and a quick meeting on the ship before we docked in St. Petersburg the next day. There's no denying we had a couple of small (in my opinion) hitches along the way. On the whole though, my husband and I had a throughly enjoyable two days in St. Petersburg, both with our fellow tour participants and our tour guide.

The great thing about Cruise Critic is reading the opinions of other people's vacation experiences. That said, it's important to remember they are opinions, and subjective. Perception is reality, as they say, and obviously my perception of Ludmilla was different than Bill's. I think it's safe to say that he'd never tour with Ludmilla again, and I'd do it again in a second!

I agree with Jill that some Americans seem to expect a 'Disneyfied' (my word, not hers) version of Europe, and Europeans. For instance, how many posts have I read on CC about people being disappointed in Tivoli, for goodness sakes, because it's not big enough, new enough, great enough, American enough?

I hate to think that because someone of another nationality expressed an honest opinion, (one that we asked for), it has to mean the person must harbor a hatred of the west, and all things American. We asked for a Russian perspective, and then some were offended when it was offered. As my husband said after reading this thread, "If you want a Kansas City answer, maybe you should ask somebody from Kansas City." That pretty much says it all as far as I'm concerned.

Since Cecelia mentioned other nation's opinions of Americans, two days ago, I watched a show on British television called "God Bless America". The entire premise of the show was the fact that Americans seem to be disliked all over the world these days.

They had a segment where Brits were stopped randomly on the streets, and asked their opinions of Americans. Guess what? To a person, they answered that Americans are generally loud, fat and stupid! Rather depressing considering the close relationship the U.S. and Britain have historically shared, at least since the Revolution! Of course, I realize that not all British people share these sentiments, but it was a very interesting program, and relevent to the discussion here. If a bad opinion of Americans means the British hate the West, and everything America stand for, then we are really in trouble!

O.K., I'm through with the soapbox, too. Who's next? By the way, Host Cecelia, we need a spell-check on Cruise Critic!

Susan

As we were walking in the park surrounding Peterhof, Ludmilla and I discussed the realities of living in a country other than your homeland (I am an American living in Germany), I told her I was enjoying the experience, she said she tried it for a couple of years, and was glad to get home, back to the theater, ballet and culture she so enjoyed. Is this a hatred of the west? I don't think so.
You're in Stuttgard? I enjoy that part of Germany. I visit the Black Forest region a few times a year. My best friend and her husband are Americans living there working for German companies. If I remember correctly, she went to school in Stuttgard when she was a teen.
The great thing about Cruise Critic is reading the opinions of other people's vacation experiences. That said, it's important to remember they are opinions, and subjective. Perception is reality, as they say, and obviously my perception of Ludmilla was different than Bill's. I think it's safe to say that he'd never tour with Ludmilla again, and I'd do it again in a second!
I want to clarify that I have no idea what kind of tour guide Ludmilla is. I didn't use a tour company in St. Petersburg. I went to Moscow for the day when I was in Russia. I was commenting on the comments made by someone else about Americans, etc.
I agree with Jill that some Americans seem to expect a 'Disneyfied' (my word, not hers) version of Europe, and Europeans. For instance, how many posts have I read on CC about people being disappointed in Tivoli, for goodness sakes, because it's not big enough, new enough, great enough, American enough?
You and Jill are both right. I just don't see why all Americans are lumped into this ugly American group.
I hate to think that because someone of another nationality expressed an honest opinion, (one that we asked for), it has to mean the person must harbor a hatred of the west, and all things American. We asked for a Russian perspective, and then some were offended when it was offered. As my husband said after reading this thread, "If you want a Kansas City answer, maybe you should ask somebody from Kansas City." That pretty much says it all as far as I'm concerned.
The impression I've gotten from reading the posts on this thread is that Ludmilla went out of her way to say negative things about Americans and the west. Being honest in one's thoughts is one thing but the impression I got is that she went beyond that.
O.K., I'm through with the soapbox, too. Who's next? By the way, Host Cecelia, we need a spell-check on Cruise Critic!
Yes we do Susan! I've been asking for spell check for years. :)

We love the Black Forest, too! Luckily, we live close enough we can make a day trip there a few times a year. We always take my mother there when she visits, we usually spend a lovely day sightseeing, and finish up with a piece of Schwartzwald torte in a cozy cafe. We're planning on ordering a Grandfather clock soon, my husband is determined he's not going to leave Germany without one. Less expensive than a Porsche, don't you know!

Do you ever make it to Bavaria on your visits to Germany? That's our favorite part of the country, and an absolutely wonderful place to spend a weekend. We're going to Garmisch for DH's birthday next month, and I can't wait.

In my previous post, I was pointing out that we're discussing opinions on CC, and obviously, they can vary greatly. Bill and I were on the same two day tour, but we came away with very different opinions of our experience.

This is interesting stuff, isn't it? I hope the discussion continues.

Cecilia, I am not sure where you read I was defending bad manners, I have not found anyone with bad manners while in Russia or Europe but the same are just possibly accused of that by the next person they come in contact with. Susan said there were no bad manners on the part of the guide, I believe her because that is my experience and that is all I have to go on other than one man posting that his values where threatened by a different opinion. Is there any doubt he would be offended and call me similar names because I am not ready to hang a guide from the nearest tree? I think without a doubt all the people in my van, except one, would have said our guide was great yet that one man on our tour made life difficult for all of us and I am sure he will write here how badly he was treated and how Russians were disrespectful towards him and the US.

If you can tolerate a different opinion without assuming it is an attack or bad manners to answer a question with frankness, no tour is going to be bad due to what is said, but at the same time if every comment and gesture is considered aggressive and hostile if not in total agreement with something only known to you, I suppose any tour would have been a terrible experience. I did not have Ludmila but I would not mind in the least learning from her. That is because I do not believe for a minute that a professional such as she apparently is, with a long successful career was rude or attacked anyone. Do you really believe she was such a ogre when a sensible person in the same van took none of her behavior was rude or attacking American values as claimed in a prior post?

I've have been the brunt of overly sensitive angry people and I see how it is possible to have anything I said, no matter how trivial or inconsequencial the comment, taken as an attack on their beliefs. Once not long ago I disagreed with a man at a school board meeting and his attack on me sounded identical to the one posted here. The same terms; "Anti-American", rude, ignorant, disrespecting American values, and so on. He to sought to kick me off my committee because I disagreed with him.

If there is a low opinion of US overseas remember that all it takes is one bad experience and the image is set until proven otherwise. That once is enough to taint their image of us. They remember that one incident as if it was yesterday. We are just getting used to being a society of oversensitivity because for a decade or two the US has become a very intolerant place where civil discusssions are almost impossible. No one said that is universal, in my van the problem was 1 out of 10 but that one person controlled the mood and friendliness of the 2 days. 10% is enough to spoil a lot of otherwise nice outings and cultural experiences.

A question to Susan, how many on your tour felt like you did or were you alone in thinking there was a great overreaction on the part of one guest?

Passing off Cultural Imperialism as a non-issue because you don't see how it hurts other cultures does not mean it is not a major issue for people within those countries that feel swamped by western media and behavior. It is real and it is worrying to many because it is not so avoidable as simply saying "ignore it. Read what the people effected have to wirte about this topic. But this is not even part of this dicsussion(not sure where it came in anyway), what is important is how we act in foreign countries that value different manners and behavior. By demanding that Ludmila or any other person modify their life experience to fit a guests expectations, and failing to do that have them branded as rude, hostile, anti-American, ignorant, argumentative, demanding, narrow-minded, hateful and other terms I forgot is the height of arrogance. What is the most common single word used to describe Americans by residents of foreign countries? Does "Arrogant" ring a bell? Was that a common fantasy or did people actually experience something that left that impression. Anyone in my van would have come away with that word engraved in their minds. WE are the reason there has been a tremendous drop in the esteem Americans are held throughout the world in recent years. If you are not doing it yourself, enabling such behavior is just as bad. When an American goes somewhere and abuses the customs and values of another culture we ought to not defend it and if possible help eliminate it. That is when others will see we are not like our reputation and will change their opinion. If their opinions do not count we should not ask them to host our visits or be their guests. So far I've seen nothing that indicates there is a problem with this one guide, in reality, that could not be explained by arrogance.

Jill

Hi Jill~

In answer to your question, there were others on our tour who found Ludmilla difficult to take. Some of us enjoyed her. Maybe it all comes down to the expectations we had before we ever got off the ship.

One thing I must say about Ludmilla, she was straightforward, and did not sugar-coat her answers. I found her to be a real 'character' and I enjoyed her approach. But if you're looking for a fakey nicey-nicey Russian guide Ludmilla is definitely not your girl!

It sounds like one of the men in your group was a jerk. Bill was not. He was friendly and respectful at all times to us, and to Ludmilla. I knew he probably would not be sending her a Christmas card, but I didn't realize he was so unhappy with her services until after the trip was over.

Maybe asking for specific tour guides is a good idea. Visiting Russia is a once in a lifetime experience for a lot of us, and it's a shame to come home with such a negative view of what should have been a highlight of your vacation.

I'd ask to have Ludmilla. : )

.....I just don't see why all Americans are lumped into this ugly American group. The impression I've gotten from reading the posts on this thread is that Ludmilla went out of her way to say negative things about Americans and the west. Being honest in one's thoughts is one thing but the impression I got is that she went beyond that... :)

Host Cecilia, we just want to let you know that the impression you have gotten is right on! We recommended Denrus to a fellow cruiser who at the end of their tour indicated that although they were very impressed with Denrus for many reasons (fast responses to e-mails, flexibility in many ways-allowing them to have lunch at their own choices of restaurants, use of hydrofoils, and lots of patience in answering their many questions, etc...), they were very disappointed with their guide Ludmilla, for the reasons the others have posted, and more ( for example, she did not let them go shopping one time during their 2-day tour, and not at all accomodating). They said they would e-mail to Denrus directly to let them aware of the problem rather than posting on this message board. We also know of another cruiser who e-mailed directly to Denrus about this guide, and he also posted on this message board regarding that matter.

We would continue to recommend Denrus as a company as they have many very professional guides (Nadya, Elena, Ilya, etc...) and a reputable/accommodating company, but would caution others about Ludmilla based on what we have read and heard about her.

Host Cecilia, we just want to let you know that the impression you have gotten is right on! We recommended Denrus to a fellow cruiser who at the end of their tour indicated that although they were very impressed with Denrus for many reasons (fast responses to e-mails, flexibility in many ways-allowing them to have lunch at their own choices of restaurants, use of hydrofoils, and lots of patience in answering their many questions, etc...), they were very disappointed with their guide Ludmilla, for the reasons the others have posted, and more ( for example, she did not let them go shopping one time during their 2-day tour, and not at all accomodating). They said they would e-mail to Denrus directly to let them aware of the problem rather than posting on this message board. We also know of another cruiser who e-mailed directly to Denrus about this guide, and he also posted on this message board regarding that matter.

We would continue to recommend Denrus as a company as they have many very professional guides (Nadya, Elena, Ilya, etc...) and a reputable/accommodating company, but would caution others about Ludmilla based on what we have read and heard about her.

Correct sentence: "She did not let them go shopping more than one time during their 2-day tour, ....."

Jill...I'm not going to go through and comment on everything you've said because I don't want it to come across like I disagree with everything you've said or that I want to pick a fight. My point to you was that you seemed to be making a broad statement that people in other countries think all Americans are ugly Americans and I don't agree with you and I don't think it's right for you to perpetuate that stereotype just because that's how you think every other country in the world thinks. I don't think that's true. I've never been treated badly while in another country. Well, that's not completely true. When I was fighting in the Gulf War in 1991, we landed in Oman to refuel and the Oman soldiers wouldn't let the women off the plane because we weren't covered. We had to sit in the heat for hours while the men were allowed to go inside. Anyway...I think that sometimes people from other countries assume that all Americans are ugly Americans and that then makes it OK to point it out or bad mouth all Americans. In all my world travels, I've never behaved that way and I'm offended when I'm lumped into that category. And if I was on a tour and I asked a question of my guide about how things differ in their country, etc., I wouldn't take kindly to someone saying something negative about me or my culture just because I've asked a question. I wouldn't enjoy someone saying how negatively they've been affected by American influence, etc. The guide isn't so offended by Americans that American dollars aren't good enough so why bite the hand that feeds you? Why go out of your way to say something negative? There are ways of saying things that get the point across without alienating people in the group.

Second, I in no way passed off cultural imperialism as a non issue because it can be ignored. The effects of cultural imperialism on any society is dependant on that society and if you reject that incoming culture, then your culture won't be influenced by it. I have read more books and articles and studies on cultural imperialism than any sane person should. I did my Master's degree thesis on cultural imperialism and the digital divide. I can speak at length on the subject. I'm not spouting off an uneducated opinion.

I did not demand that Ludmilla or any other guide change anything about themselves. I commented on my perception of the situation based on what others have said. And others have mentioned that Ludmilla wasn't the best guide based on how she interacted with the tour participants. I don't, however, agree with you that it's the tour participants arrogance that caused the situation and not the tour guide. As you noted, you weren't there and neither was I. We can't know for sure.

I think you have valid opinions and you speak from experience. I just disagree with some of what you've said. I'm not overly sensitive and angry like the participants at your school board meeting. I'm telling you my opinion in a civil and straight forward tone.

luckygirl322...Whenever we're in Germany, we're based out of Maulberg and Lorrach and from there we make trips to Heidelburg and Stuttgart and Basil Switzerland and areas of the Alcase region of France. We especially like going in December when we can hit the Christmas markets and have Gluewein! We had to skip the trip we were going to take this summer to Germany because I'm pregnant right now and I didn't want to traipse around Germany six months pregnant in the heat!

I hope others who have taken either of the tour companies mentioned will post their experiences. Good or Bad, its their opinion and I would like to hear them.

How the tour guide interacts with the group whether it be citizens of the U.S., Canada, South America, Central America, Mexico, Asia, Europe, South Africa,etc, etc. and their level of knowledge about the history of the city.

There is no question that many if not most Russians have low opinions of American due to our well known cultural insensitivity away from home, that is logical because that is the current opinion in Europe where I have a lot more travel experience.

If you paid attention to the lecture about the recent century Russians have survived more difficult times than the US will ever and the people have learned a lot. Maybe they deserve a little more respect to have vaild opinions and beliefs.

Not prepared to listen to an answer....fine, don't ask the question and let the others in the group enjoy their experience.

I'm not going to take the time to cut and paste all your diatribes. I'll say this though....you must be reading a different thread than I am because what I'm reading is that a number of people resent being lectured about what is wrong with their country by a travel guide whose job is nothing more than to facilitate their learning experience. Just like they resent being lectured by you for being bad Americans simply because they dislike a particular travel guide.

A couple of folks complain about one travel guide and you launch into "Our well known cultural insensitivity", our "Cultural Imperialism" and "Arrogant" Americans? When you say "WE are the reason there has been a tremendous drop in the esteem Americans are held throughout the world in recent years", you remind me of some folks who live their lives apologizing for being American. And just so you know where I stand, I think it's just plain silly to capitalize the word "WE" but I have to admit it fits perfectly with your condescending tone.

There's no question in my mind that Host Celia hits the nail square on its head when she says that you paint all Americans with a broad brush. I steer clear of folks who over generalize groups, races or nationalities; they're generally very shallow people to begin with.

Who put the burr under your saddle anyway?

There is no question that many if not most Russians have low opinions of American due to our well known cultural insensitivity away from home..........

I hope you're speaking about yourself.

Certainly doesn't apply to me, my DH or the friends I travel around the world with.

On the other side of coin, I come in contact w/ Russians daily and don't find them particularly sensitive to our culture.

Personally I would prefer an honest guide who answered my questions without filtering every response based on what she thought I wanted to hear and how it effected my tip. If you do not want an unpredictable answer don't ask questions of people who think differently and have a completely different experience. We are their guests in their country, it is their way of thinking we are asking about. The young cheerful guides can only give a carefully sanitized tour from what I am reading here and I would prefer someone who has lived and is not afraid of telling me their truthful opinion.

Totally agree. However, the OP and some others have issues with a tour guide who is unflexible, annoyed when she's not "obeyed" like a school teacher and not willing to change things and insists on doing things *her* way.

We used RO for our group of 4 and I wish I could remember the guides names. She was just fantastic. We talked freely about cultural differences with lots of honesty and no guards up and no one having any "contests". When we wanted to cut one place short to add another, she had no problems changing anything around, as long as we kept to the pre-arranged appointments made.

Our guide on September 1 & 2 was Elena from Red October. We were a group of eight and we were unanimous in our satisfaction with her and her driver. We asked her if we could make a stop at the Old Synagogue and she took us there on our way out of St. Petersburg on the first day. She also made a stop for us at the Holocaust Memorial. She talked quite frankly about her life in St. Petersburg. She seemed to be very interested in all of us. I would highly recommend her as a guide. She is a University teacher. Our experience in St. Petersburg was wonderful. We made the most of our two days of touring.

I think the guides who bent over backwards to sanitize their comments not to offend overly sensitive people . . . are not as interesting as those who interact from their heart.
I agree and would rather have a guide with heart than one who is more “Americanized.” I think some really good points have been raised on this thread, and it should help those going in the future to determine what type of tour guide they would like to request. Although I must say that I’ve had good luck in the past not asking for a guide by name and like leaving things like that to fate because we are flexible.

I've been reading this thread with great interest because I have toured with both Red October in 2003 and Denrus in 2005. We chose Denrus in 2005 based on superior service and the much better itinerary that Denrus offered. I had a guide named Ludmilla with Red October in 2003; she was a good guide for our 2003 group but does definitely fit the description of the Ludmilla who worked for Denrus this year. I do know that the Ludmilla that I am referring to does not work for Denrus or Red October and is an independent contractor. I don't know of any guides that work directly for Red October or Denrus, but sometimes a male employee named Ilya that works in the Denrus offices does also work as a guide. As stated by other members of this board, the guides in Russia are generally independent contractors and also work as interpreters and provide other services.

I also think that some of the posts indicating that they had "Elena" actually had guides named Helen. Helen is pronounced "Ee-lee-ah-nuh" in Russia. We had three vans in my group that I formed for the Constellation 8/27 sailing this year, and we had Helens as guides in two vans. The Helen that was the guide for my van has been a guide for over 20 years and was excellent; she deserves better than to be confused with another guide by the same name who is not as good, so I hope that is not happening with other guides. Ludmilla, Olga, Tatiana, Nadya, and Helen are all common names in Russia. I think we need to be really careful to ensure that the correct guide is identified because this is definitely something that could affect their livelihood, so it’s disturbing to think that someone could be adversely affected due to name confusion. It does sound like there is only one Ludmilla referenced by the users of this board, and it seems some like her and some don't.

I'm speaking for what happened in my van only because I don't know what happened in other vans; I did hear comments from the other two vans that I arranged on my sailing that they were pleased with the other Helen and Oxanna guides. We had a 5-star itinerary with a 5-star guide this year with Denrus and could not be more pleased. We were fortunate to be there on a Saturday and Sunday with very light traffic, so we had extra time for shopping and some surprise stops.

It seems that this thread indicates once again that different people like different personalities in guides, so if you have any specific requests regarding personality, you should advise your tour operator. I would caution my friends and family to be hesitant to put a muzzle on a guide because I like frank commentary, but the guides can make comments on their own culture without bashing others and what’s not offensive to me may be very offensive to others. Reactions to the personalities of guides also vary. Some passengers from my sailing went on a private tour in Berlin and noted that the guide was anti-American but thought the tour was good overall anyway and were laughing at some of the guide’s comments. They just found it entertaining.

As noted by 42travel, another matter to note for those still planning their private tours in Russia is that while flexibility is one of the greatest advantages to a private tour, some attractions in St. Petersburg are scheduled for a specific time. We had timed reservations at Peterhof, Catherine's Palace, the Hermitage, and a canal boat ride so that we did not have to wait in line. There may have been other timed entrances, but I did see our entrance tickets for those sites with specific times noted and saw that the museum employees were checking the times at the sites. Other than the timed entrances, your private guide should be flexible about deviations from the schedule.

My main point is that if you are going to ask for a guide by name, you need to ask by first and last name or have a good physical description of the guide because the guides are independent contractors who stay very busy during tourist season. I also strongly recommend that you consider itinerary in addition to asking for a specific guide because everyone that reviews the itinerary that I arranged this year is amazed that we were able to see so much in the two days that we had allotted. Helen, our guide, added to the tour with her skills in addition to a wonderful itinerary, but the attractions in St. Petersburg are first and foremost to me, and they are spectacular.

Happy travels to all,

Donna

• 4 weeks later...

I think this whole thing is turning into a case of semantics. Simply put, if you intend on traveling to Europe, expect to run into people who won't like you simply because you are American. Of course, most of them - like most Americans - have been raised to have manners and not be confrontational in social situations. But the odds are that you WILL run into someone who will be less than polite in dealing with you because you are American. Deal with it! Honestly.

I'm sure someone on here will be unhappy with this generalization, but the term "Ugly American" exists because there have been more than a couple Americans who have been less than polite dealing with people in their own lands. And being rude back to someone you assume is being anti-American (and assuming seems to be what is going on here as obviously just as many people, if not more, have no problem with the frankness) not only further perpetuates the "Ugly Americanism" many of us have been trying to eradicate, but it ruins the experience for the other people in your tour group. I have heard far more complaints from people who have had their travel experiences ruined by fellow Americans than by their tour guides.

The whole thing reminds me of a comic strip I saw a little while back: An American couple is at a travel agency telling the agent, "We want to go somewhere where they don't hate Americans." and the travel agent says, "You're already here." With increasing anti-Americanism - and increasing reports of Ugly Americanism - this strip may be good for more than just a laugh. If you simply cannot tolerate any type of comment you may see as anti-American, then maybe you should stay home. Or grow a thicker skin and try to actually enjoy yourself on YOUR VACATION.

That said, it is important to hear about other problems that don't involve differing opinions. Problems like a guide dismissing restaurant suggestions, being inflexible, acting snappish, etc, are all what this thread should be about. Because, frankly, it's just to impossible to tell without knowing people whether those people are being overly sensitive or not.

That said, it is important to hear about other problems that don't involve differing opinions. Problems like a guide dismissing restaurant suggestions, being inflexible, acting snappish, etc, are all what this thread should be about. Because, frankly, it's just to impossible to tell without knowing people whether those people are being overly sensitive or not

LaffnStock: I totally agree. What I want to know as I prepare for our Baltic cruise is what was good or bad about their tour guide in Russia and what agency they used.

Kehau: I would be very surprised if any agency would write negative comments about their employees?;)

It wasn't just one person who made the comment about this particular tour guide. Others thought she may be okay and some thought she was not. And someone else thinks the names may be mixed up...:confused:

The purpose of this thread is to hear from those who actually went to Russia and used a tour agency and what experience they had.

I think we can all decide if what someone posts as a good or bad experience is what our expectations would be.

• 4 weeks later...
We were on Crystal's Symphony and spent August 6 - 8 in St. Petersburg. We had received a very strong recommendation, through the Los Angeles Times travel letters, for an independent guide. We spent hours researching her, her web site, and letters of praise from all over the world. Based on this research we contacted her several months in advance, and it was probably the best decision regarding a guide that we have ever made!

Our guide's name was Alla Ushakova. She worked very closely with us to insure that we would maximize our 3 days in St. Petersburg, and see those attractions that we were most interested in. She arranged our visas and e-mailed them to us several weeks in advance of our departure.

Alla obtainted wonderful seats for us at the Mariinsky theater, where we experienced an absolutely first-rate ballet; seats for the "Feel Yourself Russian" show, including caviar and vodka; a tour through the Hermitage Gold Room, and a tour through the Coral Synagogue. She had extensive knowledge of the art, history and customs of St. Petersburg, and her English was impeccable.

Based on our three days with Alla, my DW and I have become lifelong friends with her. We hope to host her on her first trip to the USA in the coming months.

Alla's web site is www.alla-tour.com. Quite frankly, she's the best!

Mike

Hi Mike,

It was great to read about Alla here. She was our guide in May 2005 and the experience was fantastic. At first I was a little nervous about the Visa Waiver program but it all worked out fine. Our experience with Alla could not have been better! We saw much more than we ever imagined. I strongly recommend her services. The other passengers that were on the Century ship I was on from Celebrity Cruises were not as pleased with the shore excursions they had booked through the ship. They paid up to 300.00 a day per person and saw only a little of what we got to see. The best part was being able to stop and look around wherever we wanted. We even got to ride the underground that was really an experience, talk about unique. Anyway, Alla knew everything I asked, she studied 4 or 5 years to be a guide and was extremely knowledgeable, courteous, and well mannered. One of the neat things that saves time is the fact that she would guide us right around the long lines and would take us right to the front of all the tourists in the lines to enter museums and palaces. The whole tour was a great experience and her perfect English was also a plus. I found many people to have strong accents that can be a challenge to understand.

If you decide to hire Alla she will not take any money from you until the end of the tour. I thought this was really a great point as she was sure I would be 100 percent satisfied as we were. I would have no hesitation recommending Alla for those going on a Baltic cruise as I am certain your visit to Russia will truly be a one of a kind experience.

Mike Lindsay

Archived