Rain Gear

teachatthebeach

If you are shopping for rain gear for your trip, check out Gander Mountain. We bought a rain jacket/rain pants set in a carrying pouch for $10. Surprisingly, they even had a set in 2XL Tall for my husband. He's almost 7 feet tall and I never thought we'd find something for him without a special order. Granted, they are not the quality of a Columbia or North Face, but they will do the trick to keep us dry on port days.

If you are shopping for rain gear for your trip, check out Gander Mountain. We bought a rain jacket/rain pants set in a carrying pouch for $10. Surprisingly, they even had a set in 2XL Tall for my husband. He's almost 7 feet tall and I never thought we'd find something for him without a special order. Granted, they are not the quality of a Columbia or North Face, but they will do the trick to keep us dry on port days.

I see you are on Celebrity. There should be an umbrella in your room. If not ask your steward. We have been to Alaska 4 times and never taken a raincoat. The umbrella should be enough. We were there in 2013 and had no rain at all.

I see you are on Celebrity. There should be an umbrella in your room. If not ask your steward. We have been to Alaska 4 times and never taken a raincoat. The umbrella should be enough. We were there in 2013 and had no rain at all.

Umbrellas are useless on the deck of a moving ship. They get blown around too much. Its hard to hold one and use your camera or binoculars. They are also annoying in crowded ports. Here in the Seattle area, we say that umbrellas are for tourists. People here have good rain jackets. If you want to be a tourist, and look like a tourist, go ahead and use one. Just be careful not to poke anyone's eye out when you're stuck in a crowd. :eek:

I don't think it was a sale. We found them in the men's jackets section very close to the camo hunting gear. Men's and women's were together. I looked on the website and there they were priced at $14.99...still not a bad deal. And they had sizes up to 3XLT.

And thank you Ozark74 for reminding me about the umbrellas!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a early June Alaskan cruise and I brought a light weight water resistant (almost waterproof) windbreaker with a hood and a very light compact umbrella. These saved my visit to Glacier Bay because it was really drizzly that day and we have a really nice camera to protect. There were only a few of us on deck during the entire glacier bay narration and the rest of the folks were going in and out of the ship for protection from the rain and to warm up. I also had my isotoner gloves on and this also helped keep my hands warm to hold up the umbrella. Doesn't take much to be a smart packer for Alaska; lightweight items all the way, no need for heavy winter stuff.

We bought Frogg Toggs suits in Ketchikan for $15 at Tongass Trading with a coupon out of one of those AK shopping books that are in the ship terminal where you initially embark. We didn't need them for the cruise, but we can always use them for camping and have never gotten them that cheap!

I have good rain jacket with hood, but no rain pants. I have searched high and low, but I'm 5'2" and they are always a foot or more longer than my legs. With the zippers on the legs and such, not really able to alter. Are pants necessary in mid-August? We'll be in Ketchican, Juneau and Skagway. After, we have the land part in Denali and anchorage.

I have good rain jacket with hood, but no rain pants. I have searched high and low, but I'm 5'2" and they are always a foot or more longer than my legs. With the zippers on the legs and such, not really able to alter. Are pants necessary in mid-August? We'll be in Ketchican, Juneau and Skagway. After, we have the land part in Denali and anchorage.

I live in the Seattle area and have been to Alaska 7 times. I'm even shorter than you (5' even) so I know how hard it can be to find pants that fit. I do not own rain pants and have never wished I had them. You will be just fine without them.

I live in the Seattle area and have been to Alaska 7 times. I'm even shorter than you (5' even) so I know how hard it can be to find pants that fit. I do not own rain pants and have never wished I had them. You will be just fine without them.

Thank you, that's good to know.

Are pants necessary in mid-August? We'll be in Ketchican, Juneau and Skagway. After, we have the land part in Denali and anchorage.

That might depend on your activities. If you plan to hop off the bus in Denali and hike for a few hours, or, go fishing in Ketchikan, you might prefer rain pants. But for the average tourist walking around ports, taking a shuttle into the park, you don't NEED them. Like sherryf I've never owned rain pants, and that's with many camping trips in the Pacific NW and a few times in Alaska. I just bring jeans (plus a pr of khakis and a pr of capris for warm weather).

Altho, I DO have a pair of flannel lined nylon jogging pants that were great on the Kenai cruise. The nylon was great agst the cold wind.