Norovirus A514

netchells

Just had an email from P & O telling us that there is Norovirus on Azura and that embarkation will be delayed on Saturday by 2 hours - just informing anyone that is on this cruise who may not know :-)

Edited by netchells

I am on Azura now and we were 8 days into the cruise when Captain Turnball announced we had cases. Very sombre mood that morning around the ship. Buffet we are being served and everywhere the staff are cleaning.

Just been speaking to a fellow passenger and she saw 2 men remonstrating with the staff in the buffet because they wouldn't use the hand gel. What are some people like?!?

I don't understand people that won't use the hand gel - on the American ships hand gel is used a lot more than the English ships and if you don't use it voluntarily they are there with their squirty bottles squirting your hands; we use it at every opportunity. Hope its not spoiled your cruis :-)

It hasn't spoilt our cruise thanks netchells. Was a bit worried when it was first announced and we still had Lisbon (which I was

really looking forward to) and Vigo to go!

We are having a bit if a laugh with fellow pax as we are all usung elbows, cardigans etc to push lift buttons!

Just come off the Ventura today (14 nights Med cruise) and we had an unscheduled diversion to a Spanish port for a 'medical emergency'. A coast guard boat came along side and a passenger was transferred. I was later told it was an elderly man with norovirus, and that 4 other passengers were confined to cabin with the same condition.

Don't shoot the messenger as I have no idea if the norovirus claim was true, it was simply what another passenger told me, but they had apparently been told this by the ships nurse/doctor.

We got the email yesterday and hubby isn't impressed as he's convinced he's going to get norovirus or something to make him sick anyway (it's his first very reluctant cruise). I told him all we need to do is maintain good levels of hygiene and he'll be fine.

I don't think I'll be keeping to the suggestion of only using the loo in our cabin. We're right at the front and my IBS would mean we'd never go pretty much anywhere on the ship.

I have problems with the hand gel that the P and O ships use as I am allergic to it. After about 3 days the skin starts to peel off my fingers. I have found a sensitive skin hand gel which I can use and always take some with me and use it before eating etc, but that involves endless explanations. Actually regular hand washing should be enough protection!

On one cruise, when the staff saw the state of my hands, they avoided coming anywhere near me with the gel; I think they were frightened of being sued! I think next time I'll carry a handbag sized version of the sensitive gel in my bag and take it out in front of them.

There will be others who have the same allergy; the P and O gel is rather harsh, so that might be the reason they avoid it!

Just been speaking to a fellow passenger and she saw 2 men remonstrating with the staff in the buffet because they wouldn't use the hand gel. What are some people like?!?

Maybe they've read the scientific stuff stating that nororvirus is, wait for it, a virus and P&O's hand gel is useless for viruses. And perhaps, like many of us, they use an anti-viral hand gel and didn't want its effect diluted.

Or perhaps they were just plain awkward:D.

Maybe they've read the scientific stuff stating that nororvirus is, wait for it, a virus and P&O's hand gel is useless for viruses. And perhaps, like many of us, they use an anti-viral hand gel and didn't want its effect diluted.

This is probably part of the problem.

Passenger think the hand gel dished out by P&O is sufficient when it isn't.

We got the email yesterday and hubby isn't impressed as he's convinced he's going to get norovirus or something to make him sick anyway (it's his first very reluctant cruise). I told him all we need to do is maintain good levels of hygiene and he'll be fine.

I don't think I'll be keeping to the suggestion of only using the loo in our cabin. We're right at the front and my IBS would mean we'd never go pretty much anywhere on the ship.

I really hope you enjoy the cruise - we had a good time despite the noro. The only slighly annoying thing (and I understand why) is that they took away the drinks menus - of course I'm sure I could have asked for one but I don't like to be awkward! Therefore we just ordered drinks we "knew" but I like to look at the cocktail menus and try different ones on holiday!

The captain said last night that there had been no new cases so it looked like their strict policies were working (we weren't allowed to pick up the photos and look either!)

Suggest you go into Boots with reluctant OH and purchase a small bottle of anti VIRAL hand foam. I always take a bottle with me.

Normally I would say only use cabin toilet, but as that is not possible one can only suggest lots of hand washing and paper towel to open the door.

I must admit if I use the lifts I do use my finger, but equally if I use the stairs I have to hold on going up/down, so either way I guess I am chancing it, but so far, even though we have been on ships with it, we have never suffered..

Wish we could keel haul those who do not wash their hands after the toilet, do not use the gel, and then go in the buffet and touch food. Does the punishment fit the crime?

Having read this thread we have just purchased an antibacterial foam from Amazon that works against norovirus for 6 hrs after use. We're not the paranoid type but having read that the gels are of no use we thought we would make sure we are protected....and will use the knuckles in the lift :D

We're not paranoid really --- honest ---- much --- twitch .... ;)

We survived the latest outbreak on Azura too. Spa staff told me there had been 900 cases ... Almost one in three passengers. Our personal experience didn't bear that out. On our deck there was only two cabins we saw that were receiving the sanitation procedures. Quite obvious as the staff wear masks and coveralls.

Perhaps other decks had many more.

We did see passengers being ill ashore in Vigo ... Why they had left the ship in the first place was a mystery. Side stepping the vomit was not pleasant!

Nothing can replace good hand washing .. Hand gels are just a temporary solution.

Why they use the hard backed restaurant menus is strange when they have such a bad outbreak. The maitre d assured us they were wiped and sanitised between use but we saw no evidence of this. They were handed out and piled back up .. Then randomly handed out again for dessert. A throw away paper menu in this instance would have been more sensible.

The outbreak came on very suddenly with presumably many passengers being taken ill on the same day. Without lab tests how can we be reassured this is not a bad case of food poisoning by the kitchens. If a restaurant at home had many people all being ill the following day you would not instantly say .. Must be Norovirus. We can only assume the medical staff can distinguish between the two. Buffets in general are a 'no go' area for us ... Seen in the past too many bad examples of bad food handling hygiene ... Passengers picking up food with their fingers ... Checking it then replacing back on the pile if it didn't meet with approval or they just changed their mind.

We actually did have a few lunches in the buffet, they handed out everything to us, we couldn't even pick up packs of butter.

Didn't personally meet anyone who had been ill myself, how awful in Vigo! As you say can't understand why they'd left the ship.

We did see staff in the MDR washing down arms of chairs etc which was re-assuring.

We're on Azura in 6 weeks, I've already bought my antiviral foam from Boots, and have been explaining all about touching hand rails/etc to my 5 year old and the importance of washing our hands before eating ANYTHING! Good hygiene is top of my list for our first cruise, especially after reading this. Never even thought about menus, but will be wary of anything now!

A really important thing to remember also is not to put your fingers to your mouth! Quite surprising how many times I had to stop myself! I held handrails with a cardigan or suchlike, you don't want to fall down!

Don't get too paranoid and hope you really enjoy your cruise!

Certainly sounds more like some kind of food poisoning than Norovirus especially as it started suddenly and apparently 8 days into cruise. Moro on

Y has incubation period of about 48 hrs and is far more common in the winter & colder climes and food poisoning in warmer climes. But we will never know.

Just reinforces the importance of good hygiene as always.