Sunshine Medical Emergency

pamrose228

We had two medical emergencies on our Glory cruise five years ago. The second one was at night/very early next morning after leaving HMC. The sea day followed and St. Thomas would be up next. They made an announcement and everyone received a letter in their cabins. No details were given, only that a fellow passenger had to be medically disembarked over night and that we'd be two hours late getting into St. Thomas. They also had details about excursions that would be missed (rescheduling/refunds, etc.). At the end of the letter we were asked to keep our passenger and family in our prayers. Never found out the outcome. The first one was the evening we left Miami and had to turn around and meet a Coast Guard helicopter. The only announcement that was made (that I heard anyway) was asking people to refrain from taking pictures of the helicopter because the flash from the cameras could interfere with the helicopter/rescue. We later found out it was a woman who was pregnant that ended up having complications. No prayers were asked for, so I'm guessing it was precaution on that one.

On Liberty last year we made an emergency stop in Key West on our last night to medically disembark a passenger. There was an announcement but no letter and the captain (he made announcement) never mentioned keeping the passenger/family in prayer.

Edited by pghsteelerfan
misspelling

Yup, we just pulled in to SJU now, its pouring. We were getting ready for formal night in our cabin and we noticed Captain Andreas* changed course from 311° to 125°, gradually. And then Jamie Dee came on the intercom and said we were going back. She also said this might affect our arrival into Grand Turk, but Jamie said she'd update us. We are adjacent to Pier 4 now in SJU.

*Pretty sure that is his name, will check Fun Times and Officer list.

Edited by FuturzMinion

Yup, we just pulled in to SJU now, its pouring. We were getting ready for formal night in our cabin and we noticed Captain Andreas* changed course from 311° to 125°, gradually. And then Jamie Dee came on the intercom and said we were going back. She also said this might affect our arrival into Grand Turk, but Jamie said she'd update us. We are adjacent to Pier 4 now in SJU.

*Pretty sure that is his name, will check Fun Times and Officer list.

Thanks keep us updated. Hope all is okay and you make it to Grand Turk in time.

We had two emergencies on my first cruise. It's the only one I've been on so I don't know how normal that is. We had to stop twice during that five day cruise to let people off (or maybe the first time someone got kicked off-the coast guard came and picked them up in the middle of the ocean). We never were told anything except we were stopping to let people off.

Anyways, I hope everything is ok.

Edited by acmoral

No one answered a portion of your question about being asked to pray.

No, it is not "standard procedure", but it may very well have just been a personal comment from the person (guessing the CD) making the announcement.

Last fall on the Dream we had two Coast Guard medevacs about two hours apart. Beyond fascinating. So very sorry two people and their families had to suffer but it was mesmerizing to see first hand how that procedure is carried out.