Premium package on Allure - Q

Hi

Despite reading a number of posts about drinks packages - I'm still a bit confused, and would appreciate any help!!

We're sailing on the Allure - Western Med cruise in Aug, and we're planning to get the premium drinks package, which I see advertised at $55 pppd

The site states this is inclusive of gratuities - but I've read a number of comments about a Spanish tax added to everything on cruises departing Barcelona (which this is).

My question is, does this 'tax' get added to the drinks package price?

Also - is it true it can be best to purchase the drinks package on board as there may be better offers? (Though would want this from day 1)

Thanks in advance for any help!

T

Lets say it like this: There should be no Spanish VAT when you purchase the package online in advance as it counts as a purchase in the US.

I can´t confirm it. I´m from Europe and my account is in Euro. The prices which were shown for my recent Allure cruise did in no way match with the Dollar prices.

So the best you can do is simply check online in your MyCruises account. You will see the final price prior to the paid purchase. It should be the advertized price plus 18% service charge.

steamboats

On the Uk site the packages are have recently increased and are now:

Ultimate Package £46.46

Premium Package £41.40

Select Package £29.57

Replenish Pack £16.05

Refreshment Pack £5.49 Adult/ £3.80 Child

The prices on UK site are inclusive of 18% Gratuity and I also believe there is no Spanish tax applicable

You might also want to wait until 15th June to purchase a package as there is an offer but, as usual, this is complicated by RCI website.

There are posts on this board from TAs with scanned info from RCI stating that guests booking the Ultimate Package between 15th June and 31st Aug will get a free REPLENISH PACKAGE, if you loo at the RCI website however it states that if you buy an Ultimate Package you will receive a REFRESHMENT package (SODA ONLY).

We are all waiting until 15th to see which is correct.

Thanks Andyhp

Will wait till the 15th so and see.

Must say - it does get confusing (or perhaps it's just me!)

I'd contacted RCI customer services to enquire and they had no idea about a Spanish tax that I'd read about so were essentially no help on this subject!

Also, We'd booked with a travel agent, who when I booked and enquired at the time - advised its best to wait till onboard to book packages as better offers could be available - yet from these posts, it appears we would incur a Spanish tax this way / rather than get a better offer??!

Thanks Andyhp

Will wait till the 15th so and see.

Must say - it does get confusing (or perhaps it's just me!)

I'd contacted RCI customer services to enquire and they had no idea about a Spanish tax that I'd read about so were essentially no help on this subject!

Also, We'd booked with a travel agent, who when I booked and enquired at the time - advised its best to wait till onboard to book packages as better offers could be available - yet from these posts, it appears we would incur a Spanish tax this way / rather than get a better offer??!

From all the posts I've read, there is no benefit to booking on board other than you can take a package on the second or third day, thereby reducing the overall cost.

It might be wise to wait until this offer is clarified on Monday and then, if you want to take a package for the whole cruise it will probably be better to pre-book online.

I reckon you will pay the Spanish VAT no matter what way you decide to buy the package.

Incidentally the VAT is only applied to the net value of the package before the gratuity is added and the gratuity is then also applied to the net value.

Spanish tax??? Are RCI taking the mick? They want to add the 18% like they do in America then they want to add the Spanish tax too? Lucky I'm going from Southampton and got the Premium package for free...seem like they add to everything...can I have a beer please? Yes that's 6 dollars plus 18% plus 10% Spanish tax plus 12% cruise tax plus 17.8% sitting down at a bar tax..you going to the toilet? That's a 25% wastage tax so that's 47 dollars please...

Spanish tax??? Are RCI taking the mick? They want to add the 18% like they do in America then they want to add the Spanish tax too? Lucky I'm going from Southampton and got the Premium package for free...seem like they add to everything...can I have a beer please? Yes that's 6 dollars plus 18% plus 10% Spanish tax plus 12% cruise tax plus 17.8% sitting down at a bar tax..you going to the toilet? That's a 25% wastage tax so that's 47 dollars please...

What a ridiculous comment. Its nothing to do with 'wanting', VAT is a legal requirement and the money is kept by the Spanish govt, not the cruiseline.

There are no offers onboard!

I've been watching this closely on the boards and there have been A FEW cases where people have boarded and found them offering a special deal. I wouldn't count on it, but it seems it does happen.

If you can prepurchase without paying VAT, I would take that option-- likely the better choice.

I've been watching this closely on the boards and there have been A FEW cases where people have boarded and found them offering a special deal.

I never saw a special deal regarding the drink packages. You will see the flyers all over the ship on the first two days but those flyers do have the regular prices.

steamboats

I never saw a special deal regarding the drink packages. You will see the flyers all over the ship on the first two days but those flyers do have the regular prices.

steamboats

That's why I said there have been A FEW cases-- I didn't claim that it was a guarantee, or even likely to happen. But I have read that it HAS happened.

we have returned today from the med cruise. we had a select drinks package included & upgraded on board to the Premium one at the same cost shown on its site. we decided to do so as the Select does not include bottled water, spirits or cocktails. good decision as it turns out.

Nothing was added to our bill, no vat, tax or extra gratuities. once you have paid that's it!

mini bar in room & is charged in addition to any package but you can get room service at no extra. ( watch out tho as water placed on top of shelf above mini bar which we assumed was complimentary was charged for, gather in hindsight its additional stock for the fridge but its misleading that its left out with no explanation)

Thanks...this is useful-so it looking like it is best to buy before sailing.

We were unsure of which one to get but looks like the premium covers all.

Ultimate covers all. Premium excludes specialty coffee, bottled sparkling water, and fresh orange juice. No difference in alcohol between premium and ultimate

So now I am confused.

We wondered the same thing and assumed if we purchased online prior to boarding, we would avoid the VAT since it is a "US" purchase. (I imagine same applies for specialty restaurant booking charge, etc.) We have been researching to see what other items we should 'pre-purchase'.

At first this thread seemed to support that, but the post by SAVVO indicates the VAT was not applied to their onboard package purchase. As always, could be an accounting error by RCCL (which is possible) and I am sure by the time we sail in October they will have it all sorted out. But will be interesting to see what others report.

It depends on your port of departure and if you are stopping at a non-EU port. If you depart from Barcelona and hit all EU ports the Spanish VAT applies. If you embark in Italy, and/or stop at a Non-EU port - no VAT.

If you embark in Italy, and/or stop at a Non-EU port - no VAT.

Nope, it´s an EU-tax, so it also applies for cruises out of Italy not stopping at a Non-EU port.

Paid the British VAT on a cruise to nowwhere out of Southampton for my magnet on the Anthem.

steamboats

So now I am confused.

We wondered the same thing and assumed if we purchased online prior to boarding, we would avoid the VAT since it is a "US" purchase. (I imagine same applies for specialty restaurant booking charge, etc.) We have been researching to see what other items we should 'pre-purchase'.

At first this thread seemed to support that, but the post by SAVVO indicates the VAT was not applied to their onboard package purchase. As always, could be an accounting error by RCCL (which is possible) and I am sure by the time we sail in October they will have it all sorted out. But will be interesting to see what others report.

Hi

It all depends on your embarkation point and your ports of call

I am guessing SAVVO sailed out of UK for their med cruise - if so they almost certainly will have called at Gibraltar which is Duty Free. RCI can therefore sell Tax Free on the whole itinerary when at sea (even if the ship calls at Spain)

If you're out of Barcelona and don't call at any tax free/non EU ports then tax will be due.

We did a 3 nighter on Ventura in May out of Southampton and into Guernsey and Brugges (Guernsey Tax Free) therefore Tax free shopping all trip. But if the same 3 nighter had only visited Brugges (EU) then no tax free sales would have been possible .... I think Anthem's first 3 nighters had this issue with no Tax free sales.

Edited by barneymag

We are just back from Allure and researched the cost of packages before we went. I can confirm that the price you pay if you book online has the Spanish VAT built into it, so you will pay the same price whether you book before you go or whether you book onboard.

There were definitely NO offers available.

I have just checked my guest statement from our 31st May sailing on the Allure and the total cost for 2 people taking the premium package was $878.08.

$439.04 per person. We bought our package as soon as we embarked.

With the cruise being port intensive I would say we broke even, and that included the day in Marseille when we stayed onboard.

Kim