Honest opinion! Would you have a problem sailing to the Caribbean between April-May?

My DW and I are in our mid 30s, my DW has depression and only likes to sail in those months when it's starting to get warmer at home, we cruised last year in Nov on a different cruiseline and she didn't like the timing. My question is if your loved one only wanted to cruise during that time and only to warm places because she gets the seasonal effective disorder. I would love to go to Alaska, Canada/New England, Europe so would you do it?

We love sailing anytime but usually tend to go when it's super cold in Dec, Jan, Feb. We had no problems doing April though. I think if you were going to warm climates, I would avoid anything after May. There's hot and then there's too hot.

Several parts to this question.....having sailed the Mediterranean in July, I'd say April and May are excellent months to cruise Eastern or Western Med. Here's my other two cents: I believe I, too, have seasonal disorder which means I love to cruise in November to escape the grayness of NY. Can't help with Alaska....hate the cold. Part of seasonal disorder.

Edited by mrobstad

Sorry hon, I guess I'm not really sure what you are asking... would I cruise to the Caribbean in April or May? Yes, of course. I would cruise anywhere, anytime. What is the problem/issue? What exactly are you (or she) concerned about? April is warm and in fact May can be hot...

I think everyone has their restrictions when it comes to cruising.

We avoid early April because of spring break, June, July, August because of the prices, and as much as I love my grandkids, the children. December is our favorite month because the prices are great, and the further south you go the more daylight you get.

Alaska is difficult because cruising doesn't start until the final week of May, just means you will have fewer choices. We went in May and it was daylight until almost 11pm.

The more cruising you get the more your DW will become comfortable, but I understand why it's difficult. Given all that I would cruise in April-May.

Good Luck.

What I'm asking is only sailing to the Caribbean, but not going to Canada/New England, Alaska for your spouse?

Yes, I would only sail to the Caribbean if my spouse had seasonal affective disorder.

I like cruising those months since it's not too hot in the Caribbean. I would just switch up the itineraries, Eastern vs western etc and add in Bermuda. Also as someone suggested the Med is great during those months.

I admit I'd be a little disappointed about not going to Alaska, but I'd deal with it. You might also think about an all inclusive place as a change of pace to cruising. Or you could a cruise to Alaska with some friends or siblings. I'm leaving my dh home and doing a cruise with my sister and mom in March

What I'm asking is only sailing to the Caribbean, but not going to Canada/New England, Alaska for your spouse?[/quote

Lots of options besides just the Caribbean. Alaska was beautiful during our July cruise, with extended hours of daylight, which should be good for those with seasonal affective depression.

Bermuda cruises during May through the summer months are also great. There are also

California coastal cruises and New England/Canada cruises during sunny warmer months.

My girlfriend has severe Seasonal Effective Disorder. We have found that the best time to cruise is late May, we do a lot of beach trips throughout the summer, and we do a cruise before or after Christmas. I would absolutely do Bahamas or Caribbean.

The more vacations the better!

Edited by kruzerci

I thought Canada New England only in Sept Oct and Royal doesn't do California I thought

Royal offered Pacific Coastal cruises on Jewel of the Seas in May, and also in September and October this year. We are doing an 8 day cruise in September. Other cruise lines also offer Pacific Coastal cruises.

Although many Canada/ New England cruises are in the Fall, I think that some other cruise lines offer a few sailings during May and the summer.

Edited by marys350