Refund for cancelled cruise

We are set to sail September 6 with a friend whose husband is currently in the hospital with serious complications from diabetes. He had surgery on his foot this week and had been told no weight on it for at least 4 months. Our final payments are due June 23. She does not want to cancel her cruise at this time, but wants to wait until the last minute to make that decision in hopes that she will not need to cancel. She does have the insurance purchased through Carnival when she booked. Can anyone give her advice on this situation. Will she have trouble getting a refund if she waits until the last minute to cancel if that becomes necessary? Thanks in advance for your help. She needs as much input as possible before June 23 to make her decision.

When I had to cancel a cruise two months before sailing, for health reasons, the insurance company had lots of questions about the situation.

Like when was I told that I couldn't sail?

Had I already cancelled the cruise?

Paperwork including when I first found out about the condition?

In short, if she waits until the last minute, she may have her claim denied.

I would contact the insurance company, and give them the specifics, and see what they say.

If no weight on the foot is required they can use a wheelchair aboard ship if his Dr gives the OK to travel. Contact CCL and they'll provide a "pusher" to assist with pushing him for embarkation and disembarkation.

My DH can get around slowly with a cane once aboard but just can't do the long walks and ramps for embarkation and disembarkation. That assistance makes all the difference in the world for us.

Good luck to your friends.

If she uses the "Cancel For any Reason" rider on her policy, she must cancel at least 48 hours prior to scheduled departure of her trip. She will also receive back a 75% future cruise credit.

If she tries to cancel for a covered reason, such as this medical issue with her husband, for a full 100% refund,,,,, the insurance company is going to investigate, find out that she knew on June 13th that she should cancel,,, and they won't refund squat.

I once had to cancel for a covered reason. My first call was to the insurance company, who told me I needed to cancel the cruise, airplane reservations, and anything else that I could cancel, and that I had to do it ASAP. I had just a few days from the time I became aware of the health issue, to get the cancellation completed. If I hadn't done that, they would not have paid the claim. Unless your friend is willing to settle for the 75% future cruise credit under the "cancel for any reason" coverage, I would suggest she call the insurance company ASAP and ask what their requirements are. I hope her husband does fine, and perhaps even if they cancel now, they might be able to go on the same or another cruise after he recovers.

Edited by nwcruiselover

Thanks all. Our advice was to call her PVP ASAP, especially before the final payment is due, to be able to make an informed decision. His situation is still fairly critical and she has not left his side. We will share your input with her. I had not thought of contacting the insurance company directly since she booked thru Carnival and let them do the insurance as well.

I recently had to cancel my MIL's portion of the cruise due to a serious medical condition (new) that required hospitalization followed by 4 weeks of rehab. I kept my portion of the cruise (took my daughter) but even though I did that, Carnival charged her a $250 administrative fee.

I recently had to cancel my MIL's portion of the cruise due to a serious medical condition (new) that required hospitalization followed by 4 weeks of rehab. I kept my portion of the cruise (took my daughter) but even though I did that, Carnival charged her a $250 administrative fee.

I am confused about the administrative fee. I had to cancel a cruise last November because my husband was hospitalized with pneumonia three weeks before the cruise and when he was discharged, the doctor told him he couldn't go on the cruise. We had Carnival insurance and they refunded all our money except for the charge for the insurance itself. I have never heard of an administrative fee and I have used and cancelled with other insurance companies.

I am wondering if the $250 you are saying is an administrative fee is for using Early Saver as your rate. That fare keeps $50 as a penalty if the cruise is cancelled, but the remaining $200 is kept to be used on another cruise within 2 years. That is something very different and NOT an administrative fee. If that is the case, keep in mind she still has a credit of $200 to use on a future cruise.

This post is too generic for us to grasp. $250 for what?

I would cancel now and hope to be able rebook down the road.

I agree. September is the beginning of their off-season anyway, so if things work out and you end up rebooking there's a good chance you've get a Pack n' Go rate that's as cheap or cheaper than the rate you have now.

I posted about my MIL. We did book Early Saver. We canceled after final payment. Carnival assessed $250 as a "penalty". Nothing was said about applying it to a future cruise. The woman I spoke with became quite testy with me because I didn't get why they were assessing a $250 penalty when I was going to pay for the whole cruise. It's not like they were out any money. Didn't make sense to me, and still doesn't. (Maybe I should try another rep?) I purchased insurance through Insure My Trip and we are still working out the insurance refund. I am hoping they will refund the $250 but we will see. Hope that is clearer.

I posted about my MIL. We did book Early Saver. We canceled after final payment. Carnival assessed $250 as a "penalty". Nothing was said about applying it to a future cruise. The woman I spoke with became quite testy with me because I didn't get why they were assessing a $250 penalty when I was going to pay for the whole cruise. It's not like they were out any money. Didn't make sense to me, and still doesn't. (Maybe I should try another rep?) I purchased insurance through Insure My Trip and we are still working out the insurance refund. I am hoping they will refund the $250 but we will see. Hope that is clearer.

Keeping the $250 is part of the Early Saver booking process as stated in the Early Saver Terms and Conditions.

Part of that is kept for you to use within a specified time frame on a future cruise.

You cannot use it as part of a deposit for a future cruise. Only as a payment towards a future cruise.

My guess is that your insurance co is not going to refund $200 of the $250 as that money is there to be used within 2 years. Many people purchase Early Saver because usually the rates are lower and they can take advantage of applicable price drops up to two days before the cruise. It all sounds good, but there are specific penalties with this rate.

Trying another rep will get you the same info, no refund of the $250 deposit. It is what you agreed to when booking this rate. I realize many people don't know what they are booking by doing so, they only know the price is lower and can get price drops. It's like the old saying if it sounds too good to be true, it is. There are ramifications to many rates on all cruise lines. Sorry, you didn't understand what you were booking.