Copenhagen

In 2016, we're doing an Arctic expedition cruise out of Greenland. To get there from North America, most people fly to Copenhagen to connect with the flight to Greenland. I am prepared to do this and was originally thinking of just staying overnight to catch the next flight the next day. But recently, I'm thinking of spending the extra pre-cruise days in Copenhagen instead of Greenland.

So I'm doing some research as I have plenty of time - still over a year away. What are the must sees of Copenhagen?

Edited by Bramcruiser

We spent 2 days in CPH prior to our cruise. It was really wonderful and I'd love to go back and do more, maybe without the kids so I could poke around museums and such.

It's a big enough city that you could choose any number of activities. Culture, museums, beer tasting, literature. There's definitely more to do there than in Greenland, no offense to Greenland. It is also a very easy city to get around.

We also saw the Paris Ballet premier of Paquita at the Royal Opera House while we were there. It was spectacular, and the Queen was in attendance.

We also saw the Paris Ballet premier of Paquita at the Royal Opera House while we were there. It was spectacular, and the Queen was in attendance.

Now that would have been an experience! Good for you.

We're into history, culture, museums, architecture and natural wonders. We're definitely not beach and partying types. We've enjoyed visiting the European cities we've seen so far (some more than others).

We're into history, culture, museums, architecture and natural wonders.

Copenhagen has Greenland beat, most likely, on the first four on your list. It surely has enough of those to keep you busy for days to weeks. I've not been to Greenland, so can't speak for sure. ;)

That said, we actually split our pre-cruise time between Iceland and CPH. That meant both places got less attention, but I'm still glad we did it. They were really nice contrasts.

I have been to Greenland, there's not much there beyond a half-day walkabout. Iceland, on the other hand, is spectacular, and closer than Copenhagen.

If you are into geology at all you must go to Iceland. Otherwise, choose CPH over Greenland.

Actually we've been to Iceland four times. We consider it our second go-to place in Europe. I love Reykjavik.

I agree that Greenland is rustic at best. Which is one of the reasons I'm thinking of Copenhagen as a place to visit before the cruise.

We recently did a Baltic cruise and chose an itinerary which departed from Copenhagen so we could spend time there on both ends. Absolutely loved it!

We did the Netto canal boat tour and walked and walked. Would love to spend more time there.

We did 3 full days in Copenhagen before our Baltic cruise and loved the city. Here are some of the top things we did:

1. Private 3-hour tour with Ben from Guided Tours Copenhagen. You can reach them by contacting Free Tours Copenhagen. (They also have a free version if you don't mind a large group.)

2. 90-minute Free Tour of Christianhavn, including a walk through Christiania, with Free Tours Copenhagen. (Didn't want to have to pay for 2 private tours.) Even if you don't do the tour, be sure to visit Christiania - what a special place!

3. Rented a small GoBoat and spent 1-2 hours on the canals on our own - so much better than a large tour boat (especially since we did 2 other tours.)

4. Tivoli Gardens - started at dusk and stayed until 11 pm so we could see the lights.

5. Arsenal Museum - we actually wandering in because it was free admission, but would consider it an unexpected gem. They cover the major wars, including WWII, but the Danes in Afghanistan exhibit was nothing like I had seen before. Hard to describe but don't miss it. In Danish it is named Tøjhusmuseet. It is right next to Christiansborg Palace.

6. Eat a risset hog dog at a cart and if you'll be there for a few days, have a couple. These were great :)

7. If you like to enjoy the nightlife like a local, order 10 shots for 100 kr. Because even though they're small, where else are you going to find 10 shots for $15 :)

Edited by Kryssa

• 4 months later...

Thanks Kryssa and everyone else. We booked two nights in Copenhagen - not a lot but enough to see the highlights and we're working on our must-do list. Already got the flight to Copenhagen booked.

Been to Greenland and the Faroe Islands before but never Denmark proper. Looking forward to it.