For those who have done Hawaii, Tahiiti, Marquesas - local performances onboard?

kazu

For those of you who have done this cruise - what has been your experience as to HAL bringing local dancers on board to perform please?

We have overnights in Hawaii, Bora Bora & Papeete (but arrive late there).

Our roll call is trying to figure out if they should arrange to see performances or if HAL ever brings some on board?

I have read blogs (and thank everyone who shares) but so far, I have seen no reference to it .

I realize there should be no expectations, but if anyone could share what their experience was as far as local entertainment, it would be very appreciated.

I can only speak regarding your Honolulu overnight. You should have a local dance troupe come onboard as part of the "On Location" program.

Thanks so much :) That is a big help.

Every time we have been to Honolulu HAL has brought locals onboard to give a program. Also the one time we were in Papette. I don't remember any local talent brought aboard for Bora Bora but we were so exhausted after taking the best private tour excursion ever we probably wouldn't have noticed. This wonderful excursion is called Patricks Tour. We are planning to repeat Patricks Tour on our next So. Pacific cruise***yes it is that good***:D

Edited by lazey1

Every time we have been to Honolulu HAL has brought locals onboard to give a program. Also the one time we were in Papette. I don't remember any local talent brought aboard for Bora Bora but we were so exhausted after taking the best private tour excursion ever we probably wouldn't have noticed. This wonderful excursion is called Patricks Tour. We are planning to repeat Patricks Tour on our next So. Pacific cruise***yes it is that good***:D

nice to hear the comments on Patrick's tour. We have him booked already :)

do you recall, did you arrive later in Papeete? We don't get there until 9:00 pm but overnight so we were debating if it was feasible there would be locals brought on board?

thanks so much :)

We've seen both of these and they put on enjoyable shows!

The Honolulu overnight will most likely feature a show. One Tahiti cruise we had the overnight in Bora Bora and the show was then, otherwise Papeete.

9 pm arrival in Papeete is magical! We weren't planning to get off the ship but the evening was so beautiful: dark, warm, romantic! We walked all along the waterfront, watched some guys fishing, took a look at the Roulettes and wished we hadn't had dinner!

You will have the BEST time!!

Edited by SilvertoGold

We've seen both of these and they put on enjoyable shows!

The Honolulu overnight will most likely feature a show. One Tahiti cruise we had the overnight in Bora Bora and the show was then, otherwise Papeete.

9 pm arrival in Papeete is magical! We weren't planning to get off the ship but the evening was so beautiful: dark, warm, romantic! We walked all along the waterfront, watched some guys fishing, took a look at the Roulettes and wished we hadn't had dinner!

You will have the BEST time!!

Oh thank YOU so much. You are the best :)

If we don't have a good time, we have no one to blame but ourselves :)

and we have a great roll call too, which is why I wanted to ask.

thank you :)

Oh thank YOU so much. You are the best :)

If we don't have a good time, we have no one to blame but ourselves :)

and we have a great roll call too, which is why I wanted to ask.

thank you :)

You are most welcome!

We are considering this cruise, as I noted on your phenomenal Sail Away Gang Thread. We've done it a few times but the heat really got to us. That is the one drawback for us. I can't imagine a better rollcall than the one you run and would love to be a part of it!

You are most welcome!

We are considering this cruise, as I noted on your phenomenal Sail Away Gang Thread. We've done it a few times but the heat really got to us. That is the one drawback for us. I can't imagine a better rollcall than the one you run and would love to be a part of it!

How very kind of you.

Just one clarification - I don't "run" the roll call. (At least, I hope I don't) We are all a team. I just do a spread sheet, organize a few tours and set up the meet and greet.

The roll call is part of what makes a great cruise - not one single person. I just spin off what other people recommend. And we do have a really great roll call :) (again). I must be really lucky as I always seem to have fantastic roll calls.

I hope you do join us. I would love to meet you in person. You have been such a huge help to me on the boards and it so appreciated.

Heat in April when it is still cold here - I have promised myself one more time not to complain. And Patrick's tour should be cooling and so should Bruno's on the water so time will tell.

We are looking forward to this adventure as it's our first time going "the other way" on the Ocean and thank you again for all of your help.

We saw the drums of Polynesia on our cruise from Auckland to Vancouver. Part of the troup boarded in Pago Pago and stayed on until Honolulu, they taught the ukele and hula dancing, put on performances, gave lectures etc. then in Honolulu the rest of the troup came on for one performance. In a few of the ports in the South Pacific there were dancers and singers greeting us as the ship docked.

How very kind of you.

Just one clarification - I don't "run" the roll call. (At least, I hope I don't) We are all a team. I just do a spread sheet, organize a few tours and set up the meet and greet.

The roll call is part of what makes a great cruise - not one single person. I just spin off what other people recommend. And we do have a really great roll call :) (again). I must be really lucky as I always seem to have fantastic roll calls.

I hope you do join us. I would love to meet you in person. You have been such a huge help to me on the boards and it so appreciated.

Heat in April when it is still cold here - I have promised myself one more time not to complain. And Patrick's tour should be cooling and so should Bruno's on the water so time will tell.

We are looking forward to this adventure as it's our first time going "the other way" on the Ocean and thank you again for all of your help.

Sorry, but you were the face of the rollcall, to a degree! We would love to meet you, too. Will think hard about this cruise!

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about this cruise. Just wait: as time progresses you will find more and more questions since you are a "planner"!

Sorry, but you were the face of the rollcall, to a degree! We would love to meet you, too. Will think hard about this cruise!

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about this cruise. Just wait: as time progresses you will find more and more questions since you are a "planner"!

ha! ha! I confess to being a bit of a "planner". It's a huge flaw of mine but it helps me enjoy the wait for the cruise.

thank you for the kind offer to help. Really appreciated.

Hope you do join us. I think it will be fun.

Admittedly, more of an adventure for us since we have never done the Pacific than for you ;) thanks again:D

The Westy's fall '12 cruise we had local performers on board. Was a good time and interesting to see.

Honestly, what else would you do when the show is going on? Hear Sweet Caroline caterwauled during karaoke?

The Westy's fall '12 cruise we had local performers on board. Was a good time and interesting to see.

Honestly, what else would you do when the show is going on? Hear Sweet Caroline caterwauled during karaoke?

no, we were trying to figure out whether to go ashore (or if we had to) to get a cultural show.

thanks for the positive report :p

Speaking of local shows: there have been some "welcome committees" on the piers/tender docks on this cruise in the past.

Raietea, Nika Hiva, Moorea. Could be anywhere. Mostly music and hula- style dancing. Always nice to see!

For sure Nuku Hiva ;)

Nuku%20Hiva_zpsffv9cxrs.jpg

On the Dec 2014 Statendam sailing they brought a dance troop aboard in Papeete for ONE show. Seats were at a premium. YOu had to be there real early to see it. The show was included in the DVD package for the cruise.

On the Dec 2014 Statendam sailing they brought a dance troop aboard in Papeete for ONE show. Seats were at a premium. YOu had to be there real early to see it. The show was included in the DVD package for the cruise.

More REALLY helpful information :) Thanks so much and the show being in the DVD is interesting too. very appreciated. thank you :)

Fanning Island stop has a choir - very nice - for the whole time the ship is there.

Remember, this is the place for the very best prices on the whole cruise, if you are interested in shell items. They are being made better now, with nothing I bought the last time around coming apart. They used to use fishing line and the knots come undone very easily; now they are using a woven cord-like material and it is much better. You will regret not buying more there: I have, even when I knew better!