Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen

SnJ01

Lots of folks do this in order to see one of the Mayan ruins on the mainland. You need to be aware of the ferry schedule so that you are back in time to not miss your ship.

We've been to PDC before - fun town, but IMHO not worth the trip when Coz offers great snorkeling, beaches, etc.

No ferry runs directly from Cancun to Cozumel. You'll need to catch a taxi or maybe a collective. It's about an hour drive from Playa to Cancun, maybe less depending on where you're heading. So that's approximately 4 hours of transportation round trip for a couple of hours on a beach or walking around.

We just returned from a week long resort stay in Cozumel. Due to delayed flights, we missed our plane to Cozumel and had to take one to Cancun, then made our way to Cozumel via taxi and ferry. The taxi ride from the Cancun airport to the ferry at Playa del Carmen was $100 one way and took about an hour. Taxi's are not allowed to drive up to the ferry, so you have to walk through their maze of stores for about 3 blocks. Ferries run every 30 minutes, and the trip from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen takes 30 to 45 minutes. The ferry terminal is probably a 15 minute taxi ride from the cruise terminals. You see the ferries docking near the cruise ships, but that is for ship's excursions only. There is no way I would make that trip on my own from a cruise. I wouldn't even want to do it again from a resort stay. I have been to Cozumel over 20 times, and I have yet to see or do everything this slice of paradise has to offer. Why waste all that time traveling, when you could do something awesome in Cozumel? Besides, if you are delayed on the mainland while venturing off on your own, your ship will NOT wait for you. I advise you to do a resort stay, if you want to explore Playa del Carmen & Cancun.

• 2 weeks later...