Freedom May 23, 2015 (define confirmation? )

meslt1992

I was told that a confirmation is not a guarantee. The assistant maitre d told us that there were guests that had booked 10 months early and were not guaranteed YTD.

Then don't give a confirmation. Leave it as a request only.

Still a deal breaker....won't be back on Carnival.

Point of clarification, by your own words, the maitre d' stated guests booked 10 months ago were "not guaranteed" YTD. This is not the same as they were not assigned YTD at or near embarkation. It simply means that, if necessary, they could have been bumped from YTD as you were.

I am not arguing that this is acceptable or that more should not have been done for you. Simply that most who requested YTD received YTD, even though they were not "guaranteed" YTD.

Edited by rudechuck

Sorry this happened to you. To me, it would be unacceptable. I've read reviews of it happening to others.

It is too late now, but after final refusal to honor the confirmation I would have removed dining staff tips or invoked the vacation guarantee. I would hate having to use that tactic, but sometimes it takes a hammer to get their attention.

And why would you take it out on the staff who waited on you? they had nothing to do with the mistake and do you think Carnival cares if you take away the staff's tips?

Pat

Some of the CC folks can sure be brutal...

I fully understand and agree that Carnival not only did not handle this situation correctly, but they do show that (confirmed) means confirmed.

From Carnival:

"At time of booking, guests will be able to confirm their preferred dining choice. If their preference is not available, they may confirm an alternate time and be waitlisted for their preferred choice - there is no guarantee a waitlist will clear. When possible, waitlists will be cleared prior to the sailing and guests will be notified by email."

I leave in 48 hours and I am (confirmed) for Anytime Dining. When I booked my cruise, it told me that if the dining option was not available, then it would waitlist me. The response was "we are happy to confirm your dining". I understand issues can happen, but this should only happen every blue moon. If my reservation says confirmed, then I should be confirmed.

Dining is suppose to be first come, first served. It does not say that you can get bumped if a Platinum member requests it, or if a FTTP person requests your dining option. First come, first served.

Don't let these other CC folks beat you up. You are fully within your rights to expect that Carnival would honor your dining reservation. Just as I expect that my room will be available when I arrive at the port. I have confirmed my room and confirmed my dining reservation. As a old Seinfeld show said... "They know how to take the reservation, they just don't know how to hold the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them."

:):):)

I have a confirmation that No Carnival representative will acknowledge.

They made their choice, the consequences of that choice is to loose a life long customer.

Lifelong customer? Hmmm, seems like if you were a lifelong customer you would be platinum or diamond with Carnival and would have definitely gotten your chosen dining time.

They WILL NOT contact you. I was assaulted by the head waiter and turned him in and they never contacted me. They got my money, they're happy. I still cruise CCL. I have a cruise January 10th on the Breeze. I'm not going to let one idiot (head waiter) mess up where I vacation. As far as CCL, their a big company and deal with so much crap I can see them not following up.

That is completely unacceptable. I would have filed a complaint with the Miami head office and called everyday until I got a response. I would have also posted to J. Heald and ask him to follow up.

I had the same issue on the Freedom in March. I was confirmed for Early dining but I was assigned Your Time Dining. I talked to the Maître D and he changed it immediately, no questions asked. I was also on the May 23rd sailing and I had no issues this time. Sorry, you had such a terrible experience but don't let one person keep you from sailing Carnival.

The cruise contract that you agree to does not guarantee you your chosen dining time, cabin or ship. The cruise line (and this goes for any cruise line) can change just about anything they want and tell you - too bad.

Does it happen often? Not really.

Does it happen sometimes? Of course.

They have a certain number of spaces in each dining time (early, late, and anytime) and that's it. Diamond guests get guarantees, Platinum's get priority (as per the VIFP program). If they had a large group book and request anytime dining, they may have chosen to keep that group together and bump other people into traditional dining times.

It sucks when it happens to you. Does it mean that it happens to everyone or even a large number of people? No, it doesn't - otherwise there would be hundreds if not thousands of threads on this board from people who are regularly getting moved from one dining to another.

On that cruise, the Maître D was probably trying to point out that he had someone who booked 10 months prior who also got bumped from anytime dining. Doesn't mean that everyone who booked in the last 10 months didn't get anytime dining.