Helicopter/Dog sled tour

gordo619

Looking to book a helicopter/dog sled tour for family of 4 including two children 7 & 10. We will be in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Best port to do this in and best company to book with?

There are many threads on this, but I believe Juneau and Skagway are the only two ports that offer this... In my research I didn't get a feeling any one company was better than the other.

Plan them assuming they will cancel as they are often canceled. We choose to do ours out of Skagway and first tour. YMMV as with weather who can predict, but we figured if canceled we'd know and have the whole day still.

It is pricey, but a once in a lifetime, you can see some of my pictures here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2192742

Looking to book a helicopter/dog sled tour for family of 4 including two children 7 & 10. We will be in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Best port to do this in and best company to book with?

Our tour was with TEMSCO in Juneau. We went to the Mendenhall Glacier and had a wonderful time. It was the excursion I most looked forward to and I truly enjoyed it!

We just did this in Skagway. The helicopters were right at the dock. We chose here because the weather in Juneau isn't great and everyone I know who tried to do it booked it in Juneau and it was canceled. I will say we did the 4:45pm tour and all tours up until noon were canceled as well as all tours in Juneau the next day. We loved it and it was a dream come true for me! Hope you get to go!

Clarification-

There are only these vendors who do glacier Dog Sled tours-

Juneau- ERA, TEMSCO and Coastal.

Skagway- TEMSCO

Seward- Godwins, Seward Helicopter tours

Girdwood- Alpine Air

Ok so it seems like Skagway is the best place to do it and Temsco is really the only choice. I guess I just don't understand why it is $550 to book through them, but $486 or something like that through M&M Tours.

Ok so it seems like Skagway is the best place to do it and Temsco is really the only choice. I guess I just don't understand why it is $550 to book through them, but $486 or something like that through M&M Tours.

Have you already confirmed there is space available, at the time you want? Some times- what is available through booking agents is very limited. You need to confirm this first, before you get all excited. :) If available, then I suggest you book it and not wait. Space is limited at the full rates.

Edited by Budget Queen

Check on M&M, their site talks about wheeled sleds. Many of the tours do "dog-sledding" on land and not on snow. We went out of Skagway on Temsco with Alaska Icefield Expeditions last week. It was worth every penny!

I'm also looking at flightseeing (helicopter or floatplane) and dog sledding excursions for our September cruise. Through the ship (Celebrity Solstice) I nothing for the combination but that could be due to having been already booked. Had hoped to use OBC but alas.... Looking up Alaska Icefield Expeditions now. KM32937 -- do you recall how long the whole excursion entailed? Trying to tie this in with the White Pass train if possible. Thanks.

I'm also looking at flightseeing (helicopter or floatplane) and dog sledding excursions for our September cruise. Through the ship (Celebrity Solstice) I nothing for the combination but that could be due to having been already booked. Had hoped to use OBC but alas.... Looking up Alaska Icefield Expeditions now. KM32937 -- do you recall how long the whole excursion entailed? Trying to tie this in with the White Pass train if possible. Thanks.

Sept will be very late to have dogsledding. We had a whole day in Skagway and did the dog sledding and back to ship for lunch before the train. Should be doable but you likely will only get glacier landing in Sept for Helicopter.

We had a 2:00 flight. We arrived at 1:50 and watched the safety video and put on our vests and boots. We were in flight by 2:00 and landed back at the dock at 4:00. They will drop you off at your boat if you aren't docked right there.

Glacier dog sledding, in your timeframe has a good chance of being canceled/closed. Yes they will book you "on" the tour anyway. :)

There should be times listed with all the tours, they keep fairly close to the schedule.

Generally- in Skagway, booking one tour in the am then the second pm, with these tours, can easily be done.

The cruise lines won't let you book tours that can't be done based on the time. However, to use OBC, you'll have to wait until you board the ship.

Always, fully disclose your plans with vendors, if you book independently. They know, precisely how to schedule, and will tell you if two tours, can or can not be done.

Edited by Budget Queen

Sept will be very late to have dogsledding. We had a whole day in Skagway and did the dog sledding and back to ship for lunch before the train. Should be doable but you likely will only get glacier landing in Sept for Helicopter.

Hummm... seems we're running into that very issue. Nothing shows on Celebrity's site for flights AND dog sledding; TEMSCO requires an email for questions regarding bookings, and ERA shows no combinations after Sep 1 and 5th depending on place. Also ran into that issue with the White Pass & Yukon Train extensions -- not on our arrival date and some stopped altogether. We like shoulder seasons but doing so does run us into these type scenarios on occasion. No biggie -- it's all good -- it's Alaska!

We had a 2:00 flight. We arrived at 1:50 and watched the safety video and put on our vests and boots. We were in flight by 2:00 and landed back at the dock at 4:00. They will drop you off at your boat if you aren't docked right there.

We could potentially do both desires with the only train times being 8:15a & 12:45p. The 4:30p train not available on our port day which we couldn't have made anyway. (Port: 7a - 6p). If they're still flying you give us hope. Oh, did you say the cost? Thinking something like $550.

Glacier dog sledding, in your timeframe has a good chance of being canceled/closed. Yes they will book you "on" the tour anyway. :)

There should be times listed with all the tours, they keep fairly close to the schedule.

Generally- in Skagway, booking one tour in the am then the second pm, with these tours, can easily be done.

The cruise lines won't let you book tours that can't be done based on the time. However, to use OBC, you'll have to wait until you board the ship.

Always, fully disclose your plans with vendors, if you book independently. They know, precisely how to schedule, and will tell you if two tours, can or can not be done.

Budget Queen -- thank you. We're compiling our "must do if possible" list and following those with "just in case" or "wouldn't mind doing" lists. If it's on the "must do if possible" list it will be booked either via Celebrity or individually if available. If on either of the other lists we'll probably wait until onboard to see what's left to be had. One will head to the excursion desk and the other will head to Murano to see about booking a discounted dinner for the night. (Love us some Murano!) Anyway it goes, we'll definitely let all concerned know of our intentions. Hate to miss the boat! Thanks!

We're also struggling with Skagway vs Juneau. We're doing a B2B in late May next year and I imagine we could book both (Skagwan and Juneau) and cancel the second if the first is a "go", but would like to know if one was a better experience (oh subjective, I know); we definitely want to do some puppy-snuggling so that would need to be part of the package. This is our big-excursion and would love some guidance with this!

We're also struggling with Skagway vs Juneau. We're doing a B2B in late May next year and I imagine we could book both (Skagwan and Juneau) and cancel the second if the first is a "go", but would like to know if one was a better experience (oh subjective, I know); we definitely want to do some puppy-snuggling so that would need to be part of the package. This is our big-excursion and would love some guidance with this!

If you double book, then you need to be accepting of the cancellation policy and fees.

Most always some are involved, and likely close to 100% of paying something, with this late cancellation thinking. So you MUST be accepting of this.

the tours are all similar, a similar length trail. 2 sleds hooked together, 2 riders in the basket, one on breaks- plus the professional driver. (people seem to think they "drive" the sleds, they do not). Most of your time, is not on the ride. So you do have time with the dogs.

Budget Queen -- thank you. We're compiling our "must do if possible" list and following those with "just in case" or "wouldn't mind doing" lists. If it's on the "must do if possible" list it will be booked either via Celebrity or individually if available. If on either of the other lists we'll probably wait until onboard to see what's left to be had. One will head to the excursion desk and the other will head to Murano to see about booking a discounted dinner for the night. (Love us some Murano!) Anyway it goes, we'll definitely let all concerned know of our intentions. Hate to miss the boat! Thanks!

Just was making it clear- that you could very well, get a glacier dog sledding booking- with it being canceled. Very good chance. In your timeframe- it is common to book days past the expected closed time, then cancel later.