Jerez

Nrknits

I understand from these forums that it is not to difficult to get a train to Jerez from Cadiz, so my question is about once we get there. We are not really interested in the horse show, but would be interested in see a couple of Sherry Borgata's. How easy is it to get to them from the train station? Walkable? (we enjoy walking) Do we need a taxi? and which one can you recommend? Another option for us is to walk around Cadiz, are there any opportunities to do sherry tastings there? Thanks for your help! (We will be there in October)

I understand from these forums that it is not to difficult to get a train to Jerez from Cadiz, so my question is about once we get there. We are not really interested in the horse show, but would be interested in see a couple of Sherry Borgata's. How easy is it to get to them from the train station? Walkable? (we enjoy walking) Do we need a taxi? and which one can you recommend? Another option for us is to walk around Cadiz, are there any opportunities to do sherry tastings there? Thanks for your help! (We will be there in October)

Some of the Borgata's are within walking distance (assuming you like long walks) and others are located a bit too far for walking (but close enough for a taxi). But be sure to check each place's own web site for their latest visitor info since some have limited hours and others might require advance reservations. DW was disappointed that the last time we were in Jerez the Harvey's visitor center was closed to walk-in visitors.

Hank

Be aware that the bodegas in Jerez centre are now a part of history. Production of most (all?) sherry is in modern factory estates on the outskirts, not open to visitors. The original bodegas in the centre have been retained for tours - very interesting but no production.

Whilst you may not want to see the Eschuela Real dressage show, it's worth looking round the place - the stables, the carriage museum etc., to make the train journey more worthwhile. Sanderson's bodega is about100 yards from the Eschuela - not the best but very convenient.

The Cadiz station is right by the port. No more than 5 mins from our ship, though someone else ( was it you, Hank?) had a much longer walk because thir ship was the other side of the harbour.

If you don't make it to Jerez, Cadiz old town is right by the port. Hardly the highlight of your cruise but very pleasant for a lazy afternoon. No bodegas or tastings that I'm aware of in Cadiz.

JB :)

Ps to Hank. back in Orlando, fly home tomorrow. Hopefully not 98 degrees F in the UK. :o. Great road trip, thanks for your company in part.

JB, We do know how much you love all that hot weather :). Well, at least one of you is happy. As to the Sherry Houses, we enjoyed some of the tours but you are right that the real production is done elsewhere. But the tours were still interesting in showing the process. Personally, I like Sherry about as much as you like Guinness but DW loves the stuff.

Hank

JB, We do know how much you love all that hot weather :). Well, at least one of you is happy. As to the Sherry Houses, we enjoyed some of the tours but you are right that the real production is done elsewhere. But the tours were still interesting in showing the process. Personally, I like Sherry about as much as you like Guinness but DW loves the stuff.

Hank

Hi Hank, our trip included a visit to Jack Daniels in Lynchburg TN. I like that stuff about as much as I like sherry and Guinness, but a great distillery tour.

Sorry, Nkrnits, but Lynchburg is quite a long way from Cadiz ;)

JB :)