Kids

dxetaz09

My partner and I will be traveling on our first cruise and we are taking my little sister. Now I always get asked if she is my daughter because she is 9. My question is will we get weird looks from staff, since she will be staying in our stateroom. Are there any concerns when we are at any ports in the Bahamas.

I want to mention something you haven't, just in case you haven't thought about it. Assuming you aren't your sister's legal guardian, I believe you may need to have or want to have certain forms of documentation making it clear that you have permission to take a minor out of the country. I can't say this for sure, but I've read things on CC that suggest this, so please do check into this if you haven't already done so.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDM0NDA1OTk0L3NpZC96eEJyZC1vbQ%3D%3D/~/traveling-with-children---minors-under-18-years-of-age-traveling-to-another

Have a great cruise!

My partner and I will be traveling on our first cruise and we are taking my little sister. Now I always get asked if she is my daughter because she is 9. My question is will we get weird looks from staff, since she will be staying in our stateroom. Are there any concerns when we are at any ports in the Bahamas.

As long as you have the required docs and authorization to take out of the country your little sister there is no problems. Contact the cruise line for specifics. As far as weird looks - just be up front with your cabin steward or anyone else that she is your little sister. Nothing wrong with that. That's actually a terrific thing you are doing so. As far as the Bahamas or any port of call - use common sense. Stay in the tourist areas or take a guided organized tour. Don't wander off to areas you are not familiar with or to some place off the tourist path and leave values at home or in your cabin's safe. Bring only that is required. You can't rob someone that doesn't have anything of value. That's what the criminals wants are valuables. The cruise line would never take you to a port if they felt it were unsafe; but that's doesn't mean there isn't any crime. No different than being at home.

• 1 month later...

Six years ago, my wife was accosted by a loud mouthed hustler who acted a bit psychotic and wanted to take her to special stores for "cheap" native goods. He would not take no for an answer as he grabbed and held my wife's arm. I threw him a five dollar bill and got my wife away from him. This was mere steps away from our cruise ship and there were no cops around. I am sure that there are other hustlers doing this there.

Frankly, I prefer cruises to Bermuda, it is safer